MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #11281
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Question

Question for the UDS Brethren using a diffuser, what kind of temperature variance are you seeing from center grate to side grate using the diffuser.

I have tried a 6 and 9" dia. 18 gage steel. with both size plates there is a 20 deg. difference in the temperature from the center to the side. No diffuser is 50-60 deg.
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #11282
BearDownBBQ
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default uds question

So i am starting my first UDS. I have a couple questions.
1. has anyone tried using an old disc blade for an ash tray?

I use electronic temp gauges with wired probes. I was thinking of drilling a 3/4" hole in the side just above the grate level. Then cutting a silicone hot pad to make an accessible/sealed hole. thinking of placing one approx half way over drilled hole and second layer cover the hole completely then i could push probe between the layers into the uds. Do you think it would work?
BearDownBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2013, 09:41 PM   #11283
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
question for the uds brethren using a diffuser, what kind of temperature variance are you seeing from center grate to side grate using the diffuser.

I have tried a 6 and 9" dia. 18 gage steel. With both size plates there is a 20 deg. Difference in the temperature from the center to the side. No diffuser is 50-60 deg.
20-25*
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 08-18-2013, 02:31 AM   #11284
teeb57
Found some matches.

I found a company nearby that sells reconditioned drums. I sent this company an email and asked what their thoughts were on using these drums for smoking food. This was the reply I got from the president of the company:

"A reconditioned steel drum has been cleaned using one of two processes. Tight Head steel drums are washed inside and out in a chemical bath and then rinsed with fresh water. Open Head (removable top) drums are sent through a furnace and any prior materials are burned out. Both processes clean out most, if not all, of the prior ladings. However, they do not make the drum food grade.

The degree of cleaning is such that reconditioned drums are often used to make grills and smokers. However, I do not recommend them for food storage. For food storage I recommend a new drum."

I'd like to hear from others who are knowledgeable about using reconditioned drums and, assuming the drums don't have a rust inhibitor lining, would you guys still burn it out any way?

I'm trying to find a drum that I wont have to burn out but I don't want me and my family getting sick either. My biggest problem right now in building a UDS is finding a place around here to do the burn out.

Any good info will be appreciated, Steve
teeb57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #11285
papaskins
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Finally finished up my drum and got to fire up my first UDS today. Lump hit the basket at 7 AM, took the temp up to 230 and it stayed there all day! I checked it every hour and it just didn't move. After 5 hours I was beginning to think the thermometer was stuck so I opened up the valve a little just to check it and the temp wiggled up to 235. Good gravy these things hold temps well! Smoked 3 dry rubbed, medium sized butts and they all turned out AWESOME!!!!!! For my first cook, I couldn't be more pleased. Maybe ribs and chicken next weekend, thinking brisket soon also. There is one negative though, I couldn't stop eating it and butt #1 is completely gone, nothing but a little fat left over that the cat was highly excited about. This UDS will be detrimental to my health. If I don't increase my cardio I'll go from 295 lbs to 330 before Christmas. Q on brethren, Q on...
papaskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #11286
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Built my first one well over a year ago with no welder or cutting torch so it can be done. Love the drum and have added to it as I got a welder and such.
There's another drum that's been just sitting here and waiting on me for a good while and I'm about to start on it.
Thanks to all who have posted in this very long thread and shared knowledge. My next drum will be even better than the first.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2013, 09:09 PM   #11287
spinningwheel
On the road to being a farker

BearDownBBQ:

Here's what I use for a 16 gallon mini UDS build:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1-2...2#.UhF88NK1ErU

I also use the 3/4" model for 55 gal UDS builds.

Just a thought but wouldn't a plow disc be too heavy to wrangle into the drum when the coals are hot and smoking and you're trying to get the bin into the barrel using a hook?

You can use a pizza pan or you can buy a cheap table top grill and use the grill grate as the bottom to your expanded metal sides and the bottom pan the same way that the manufacturer intended it to be used.

Old 08-19-2013, 10:59 AM   #11288
Jumppr
Got rid of the matchlight.

Well, I smoked 6 baby back racks and a tri-tip yesterday. I did the tri-tip for 3 hours and it was perfect. The ribs went for 3hrs then I sauced/wrapped them. They weren't the best I'd ever done, but the were by far the easiest I've ever cooked. I'm looking forward to a lot more cooks on this thing.
Jumppr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #11289
tgstrang
Full Fledged Farker

Here's mine....10 lb brisket was it's maiden voyage yesterday....turned out awesome.....

Last edited by tgstrang; 05-01-2015 at 11:40 AM..
tgstrang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #11290
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Great job on your UDS........
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2013, 05:15 PM   #11291
tkeen

Hello, I am new to the group. I have been using my prototype uds for 2 or 3 years, I built it to see if there was anything I wanted to do different before I build the stainless one that I bought the barrel for. My question is, I bought a big stainless mixing bowl that overlaps the top rim of the barrel a little and i want to hammer form it down over the top edge of the drums rolled lip. Has anyone here ever tried doing this?
Tom
tkeen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 08:39 AM   #11292
Geordie888

Afternoon

Think I have sourced almost all of the equipment for UDS (drum and charcoal basket), but I'm struggling with the intake side of things.

The nipples, what material should they be made from? Brass? SSteel?

Should I try for 3 ball valves or will 2 x cap + 1 ball valve be enough?

If I want to raise the ball valve, what's the best way to do it?

or should I forget it all and use a sliding vent type?

HELP! :) Please :)
Geordie888 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2013, 09:48 AM   #11293
spinningwheel
On the road to being a farker

I always use steel close nipples for my builds. I recommend 2 ball valves and 1 cap. With the cost of ball valves starting to climb again I can't see the value that a 3rd would add. Measure from the top of the elbow to whatever height is good for you and buy the appropriate black pipe nipple. Don't forget that the ball valve will add about 3-4 inches to your height when added to the pipe. The cost of building the intake system with ball valves, risers,nipples and hardware at my Home Depot here in Northern Ohio is $42.00 give or take a couple bucks. The cost of 2 vent kits from Big Poppa Smokers is $53.90. I don't know if there is anywhere else to buy vents for the UDS that would work as well as the ball valve build or BPS kit and I've looked all over for something more cost effective. You can always use the kitchen magnet type vents, but I can't as I make them to order and they're ordered from pictures. I just received the BPS kit I ordered last week so I'll have a better idea about their vents later.
Hope this helps you and good luck on your build.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #11294
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeb57 View Post
I found a company nearby that sells reconditioned drums. I sent this company an email and asked what their thoughts were on using these drums for smoking food. This was the reply I got from the president of the company:

"A reconditioned steel drum has been cleaned using one of two processes. Tight Head steel drums are washed inside and out in a chemical bath and then rinsed with fresh water. Open Head (removable top) drums are sent through a furnace and any prior materials are burned out. Both processes clean out most, if not all, of the prior ladings. However, they do not make the drum food grade.

The degree of cleaning is such that reconditioned drums are often used to make grills and smokers. However, I do not recommend them for food storage. For food storage I recommend a new drum."

I'd like to hear from others who are knowledgeable about using reconditioned drums and, assuming the drums don't have a rust inhibitor lining, would you guys still burn it out any way?

I'm trying to find a drum that I wont have to burn out but I don't want me and my family getting sick either. My biggest problem right now in building a UDS is finding a place around here to do the burn out.

Any good info will be appreciated, Steve

At *minimum*, I would do a washing with an engine degreaser, soap and water at my local drive in car wash (the quarter sucking type).

I have done burnouts in my driveway (with my neighbor standing by with a hose and a cell phone) and in my side yard (for which Mrs SJ threw me in the the dog house). Where do you live that you can run the UDS, but not burn it out?

Old 08-23-2013, 06:48 AM   #11295
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

One can always use the PVC ball valves which are about 1/3 the cost of brass.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker