MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
JussBuss
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Just another UDS thread

Well, I have come to the conclusion that before I jump on the BGE/Ceramic style smoker wagon I would like to try my hand at a UDS. It seems more financially reasonable at the time.

Question is, is there any one in my area who can build one for me/help me build one?

I know there really isn't much to it, but at the same time I am more of a salesman/public relations guy than any thing remotely close to a carpenter/mechanic.

I do not want to put $300-$400 into it and screw it up. So my first one I would either like to build it with some one who knows what they are doing, or just pay some one to build it for me so I can see it and become familiar with it.

I am in the Beaumont area, any one in my neck of the woods with the knowledge?
JussBuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I would seriously consider one if these. Read the complete decsription. Its really not that hard.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...rum-smoker-kit
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

You could buy one like BB opines.
You could have someone make one for you. I'm not in Beaumont, but if I were, I would.

But.....for the ultimate experience, you should check out this thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23436

And build it yourself.

Yes, the thread is long, but you will learn all that you need to know about the UDS. My neighbor and I (he was curious about the noise I created making my double barrel smoker) put one together in a single day.

Can you use a drill? a wrench? a screwdriver? a punch? Can you draw straight lines with the aid of a ruler? Can you count to 30?

If you said yes to all of these, you can build it.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 AM   #4
JussBuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
I would seriously consider one if these. Read the complete decsription. Its really not that hard.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...rum-smoker-kit
I have already been looking there at the parts. Still need to find the drum some where, I wish some one made them so you could just buy them ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
You could buy one like BB opines.
You could have someone make one for you. I'm not in Beaumont, but if I were, I would.

But.....for the ultimate experience, you should check out this thread:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=23436

And build it yourself.

Yes, the thread is long, but you will learn all that you need to know about the UDS. My neighbor and I (he was curious about the noise I created making my double barrel smoker) put one together in a single day.

Can you use a drill? a wrench? a screwdriver? a punch? Can you draw straight lines with the aid of a ruler? Can you count to 30?

If you said yes to all of these, you can build it.
I really would not mind making my own, but with some guidance. I have looked through that thread already but seriously with out a step by step by step by half step instructions and some one monitoring or guiding me, I really feel like I will royally mess it up. I guess I am just too scared to drill something wrong and the UDS get too much ventilation and the whole house catching fire lol.

Sounds stupid I know. I bet if I honestly just went through with it then it would probably be nothing at all to worry about. As I research this more and more I feel like that is what is going to end up happening, just thought I would try to find some one in my area for some monitoring.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Someone does make one, IIRC. I will look for the link. PM me in 30 minutes....

ETA: Go to craigslist and type drum smoker. I found one for $250 from a person out here.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #6
CambuiAl
On the road to being a farker

I won't even hang a painting at home because it will come out wonky, and I don't think I have ever drilled anything metal before a few weeks ago. However, I have almost finished my third UDS now, and I have been really pleased with the results.

I would say making one is half the fun, although my wife does now think I can do more around the house than I am comfortable doing..

Old 06-13-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
JussBuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
Someone does make one, IIRC. I will look for the link. PM me in 30 minutes....

ETA: Go to craigslist and type drum smoker. I found one for $250 from a person out here.
Yeah but is it a quality one. I am also skeptical I guess of buying one just from a random individual, who has it premade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CambuiAl View Post
I won't even hang a painting at home because it will come out wonky, and I don't think I have ever drilled anything metal before a few weeks ago. However, I have almost finished my third UDS now, and I have been really pleased with the results.

I would say making one is half the fun, although my wife does now think I can do more around the house than I am comfortable doing..
Thanks for the encouragement!

Old 06-13-2013, 10:54 AM   #8
JussBuss

Ok so even on other forums people are pretty much telling me to quit being a baby and build the damn thing. That seems to be what is fixin to happen.

Questions though. When getting a drum, can I get one that has a removable lid or will that effect the seal on top?

I really do not have the tools to saw the top off of a drum.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Yes, you can get one with a removable lid.

You can also get one with no lid. You will need a Weber (gold or silver) 22.5" or a Big Lots kettle lid to go on top.

In either case, you may need to do some tweaking to get a good seal. I was fortunate to get a barrel that fit my Weber kettle "perfectly" (I get some wisps of smoke, but it cruises steady). All of that is covered in the thread.

Here is what I would do (did):

Read that thread all the way through, taking notes as you go along.

If you get confused, make a note of that and KEEP READING. You will find the answer in a later post.

Make some sketches of what you'd like in your UDS and a paint job.

Start building it, and uploads pics as you go along.

Here was my start and end:

It is going to be fun. You have the advantage of learning from a seasoned crew of men and women (and Moose), who have made a ton of mistakes in making theirs (including me).

By the way, Popular Mechanics has an exploded view of a UDS:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/p..._list_0612.pdf

And....if you have a hammer and a chisel, you can dehead a drum. There is a thread/howto for that on this site.

Old 06-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
JussBuss

Awesome, Thanks!

Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM   #11
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

To bad no one (for now) is around you. I'd love to help build it, note i wouldnt build it for you, i wouldnt even ask for anything in return. Knowledge gained is priceless for you, and teaching someone new skills is priceless to me.

Thats said they are very simple to build with very minimal tools. A drill, a 1/4" or so drill bit for the grate bolts, a step bit, a screw driver, and a adjustable wrench would get you through.
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

There are UDS builders out there. As mentioned, do a search of Craigs List & you should be able to find one

Old 06-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #13
d0od

I spent a week reading the entire UDS thread before building mine, take the time to read it and you will have every possible question answered before you start. It really is simple, the only difficulty comes from what condition your drum is in and what type of liner is in it.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
Scrappy Doo Meat
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

There is a person in the Houston area that does them for around 135
Call Glenn for any questions (409)781-5122
Scrappy Doo Meat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
JussBuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy Doo Meat View Post
There is a person in the Houston area that does them for around 135
Call Glenn for any questions (409)781-5122
Very Cool!