Y'all were right about the Chuck Roast!!!

Bamabuzzard

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I smoked two chuckies today to take to my mother in laws. Sorry no pics, didn't have time. I was running late.

I think I have found my go to cut of meat when all I want is chopped beef sammiches!!! Holy freakin' cow!!!! Talk about GREAT!!!! Smoked it in my Stumps Baby with a mix of hickory and red oak for about seven hours. Wrapped in foil for the last hour. The stuff didn't last an hour. It's all GAWN!!! G.A.W.N.-GAWN!!!!

Folks raved about it and kept saying it was the best "brisket" sammiches they ever had. They couldn't believe it when I told them it wasn't brisket.

Thanks again guys!!! This is why I love this site!!!!

Glad your family enjoyed it.

Care to share any details of the cook?

I didn't do anything special. Since this was my first chuckie I kept it VERY simple. Put a simple rub on it (Black Pepper, Kosher salt, Celery seed & Season-It-All) put on smoker at 275-280. At the six hour point pulled, wrapped in foil and let it finish out the last hour. Stuck a knife in it and it was perfect texture.

Removed from smoker, chopped, added a bit of my bbq sauce and put back in the smoker for 30 minutes. Removed and served on hamburger buns. :thumb:

I didn't do anything special. Since this was my first chuckie I kept it VERY simple. Put a simple rub on it (Black Pepper, Kosher salt, Celery seed & Season-It-All) put on smoker at 275-280. At the six hour point pulled, wrapped in foil and let it finish out the last hour. Stuck a knife in it and it was perfect texture.

Removed from smoker, chopped, added a bit of my bbq sauce and put back in the smoker for 30 minutes. Removed and served on hamburger buns. :thumb:

Sounds good. Ive got a buddy that wants me to smoke some beef. Ill be using your recipe. Thanks

the Chuck was always my mom's choice for taste, I am not a whole lot different. Glad it went well for you

Chuck is a wonderful thing. I actually did a pot roast last night with Chuckie, it was amazing.

Great job! I knew you'd love 'em. We do!

Curious, 7 hours, at those temps? Are you 100% certain you were measuring the cooking surface temperature carefully?

I normally cook in that range and mine are done done done at about an hour per pound...

Great job! I knew you'd love 'em. We do!

Curious, 7 hours, at those temps? Are you 100% certain you were measuring the cooking surface temperature carefully?

I normally cook in that range and mine are done done done at about an hour per pound...

Yeah, I thought the same thing. I started probing around the 3 hr mark and there was still A LOT of resistance. Now, there were times the smoker did drop to 225 (LOTS and LOTS of on and off wind yesterday) and it did this about three times during the cook. So that may have contributed to that. Though for the majority of the time it stayed at 275-280. There were periods it dipped to 225.

My thermometer on my Stumps is about three degrees off.

Wind can throw all kinds of things off, added in down to 225; that probably did it. Regardless, glad to hear it worked out for you. We'll go through times when all I BBQ is chuckies, then pork, then ribs, then usually back to chuckies...

I only cook brisket for competitions any longer; chuckies are too easy and are WONDERFUL.

Wind can throw all kinds of things off, added in down to 225; that probably did it. Regardless, glad to hear it worked out for you. We'll go through times when all I BBQ is chuckies, then pork, then ribs, then usually back to chuckies...

I only cook brisket for competitions any longer; chuckies are too easy and are WONDERFUL.

After yesterday's chuckie success I think I'll be doing more chuckies when it comes to beef sammies. You're right. They are WAAAAAY much easier and to be honest I haven't tasted a chopped brisket sammy in any of our BBQ restaurants any better. I'm not bragging on my bbq skills but just the fact that a chuckie is one helluva good tasting piece of beef. :thumb:

After yesterday's chuckie success I think I'll be doing more chuckies when it comes to beef sammies. You're right. They are WAAAAAY much easier and to be honest I haven't tasted a chopped brisket sammy in any of our BBQ restaurants any better. I'm not bragging on my bbq skills but just the fact that a chuckie is one helluva good tasting piece of beef. :thumb:

Chuck is my go to for many things. Awesome beef flavor and reasonably priced per pound usually too. Way more forgiving than a brisket any day to my experience. I just wish I could find them large enough without having to buy a whole chuck roll and cutting it down. Happy your cook went so well for you!!!

Very glad it worked for you
Chucks are my favourite roast, very cheap down here, usually end up and Mince/ground

Back