MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
jmoney7269
Banned

Default Comp chicken Brine + marinade?

In leu of the shakes honey brine thread, I got to thinkin. Hmmmm my 1/2 chick turn in at the last comp was a little on the dry side but great flavor. Could brining have fixed this problem? Can you marinade after the brine? My concern is that the marinade I use from Friday night to Sat morning right before they go on, has 1/4 cup rub in the bag with the marinade. Just didn't wanna end up with a Salt lick chicken. Sometimes my chicken is juicy as can be, sometimes not. I have never used just a traditional brine, always marinaded, so your opinions and findings will be well appreciated.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

We don't brine or marinade for comps.
Knowing what I know about brines, though, I would think that after brining, the meat fibers wouldn't take on much more flavor so I'm not sure how much good the marinade's going to do. However, marinades are more about the oil and acid than the salt, so I wouldn't think that it would hurt anything either.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

I not only brine but I also inject chicken.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

It's possible to drive flavors into chicken after brining. Works fine with an injection. The one downside to brining is that it seems to toughen up the skin. I don't think you'd have problems marinating after brining, maybe just cut back on the salt a little.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Simple and cheap experiment.
Mix a basic salt and sugar brine and add whatever rub or marinade you wish to it.
See what happens.

I sometimes add flavors to my brine and it permeates all through the chicken and I get killer moisture along with a wider window for "doneness".

Just a thought.

TIM

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-10-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Brine works for me as well. I go heavy salt, 1 cup, to 1/2 cup sugar, with 1 tbsp granulated onion, 1 tbsp cayenne (like my chicken with some kick), all this in a 2 quart container of water. I call it my "Chicken Kool-Aid" cause it's a bright orangeish-red. I have tried adding 1 tbsp of granulated garlic as well and like it, but my wife, who is a hater of salt says it seemed to really make the salty flavor even heavier. I have tried adding sweeteners to this brine with equal parts sugar and some brown sugar as well as apple juice, but the more sweet I put in kills the saltiness and to me that is what the Texas judges like, where as in KCBS, you might tend to go sweeter...but I haven't had near the success as you J$, so what the heck do I know, just what I like and my humble $.02.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #7
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Just use really good chicken

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 11:21 AM   #8
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
Just use really good chicken
Define good.... I use the Sanderson or hill country from HEB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruno994 View Post
Brine works for me as well. I go heavy salt, 1 cup, to 1/2 cup sugar, with 1 tbsp granulated onion, 1 tbsp cayenne (like my chicken with some kick), all this in a 2 quart container of water. I call it my "Chicken Kool-Aid" cause it's a bright orangeish-red. I have tried adding 1 tbsp of granulated garlic as well and like it, but my wife, who is a hater of salt says it seemed to really make the salty flavor even heavier. I have tried adding sweeteners to this brine with equal parts sugar and some brown sugar as well as apple juice, but the more sweet I put in kills the saltiness and to me that is what the Texas judges like, where as in KCBS, you might tend to go sweeter...but I haven't had near the success as you J$, so what the heck do I know, just what I like and my humble $.02.
Wow, you use a 20% brine by weight? How long you do that? I agree with the garlic making it more salty. What gives you the orangish red color if salt and sugar are white? I used to put orange tang in a type of brine I used to use but that was some experimental stuff. We did get a 3rd out of 53 teams with that, but nothing 3 comps after so we abandoned the idea of brine
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 12:32 PM   #9
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

Butcher BBQ has just come out with a "Bird Booster" that is really good! give it a try. It comes in four flavors.

http://www.butcherbbq.com/#!bird-booster
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 12:45 PM   #10
bruno994
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
Define good.... I use the Sanderson or hill country from HEB.

Wow, you use a 20% brine by weight? How long you do that? I agree with the garlic making it more salty. What gives you the orangish red color if salt and sugar are white? I used to put orange tang in a type of brine I used to use but that was some experimental stuff. We did get a 3rd out of 53 teams with that, but nothing 3 comps after so we abandoned the idea of brine
I brine typically from meat inspection until 15 minutes before they hit the pit, 12+ hours. The cayenne gives the color. 5 out of 5 comps got chicken calls last year with that brine, my first one this year I went sweeter, no call, so I'm back to the saltier brine. As far as chickens, I'm with you, I buy whatever my local grocery has, Tyson, Pilgrims Pride, HEB, etc.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #11
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Kosmos Chicken Soak
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

kosmos chicken soak is the bomb

Old 04-10-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Saw Bones
Got rid of the matchlight.

Bone in or bone out guys?
Saw Bones is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
J&B'sBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

We inject our chicken thighs
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Limo Jr. & 125 Water Cooker[/URL]
Proudly Supported By:
[URL="http://www.southernqsmokers.com"]Southern Q Smokers & Trailers[/URL]
[URL="http://www.swampboys.com/wordpress/"]Swamp Boys BBQ Sauces and Rubs[/URL]
[URL="https://carolinacookwood.com"]Carolina Cookwood[/URL][/FONT][/SIZE]
J&B'sBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Bone in seems to be the popular choice.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->