MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 PM   #31
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
asked "How do I boil water."
I lived with a gal that could not boil water How somebody could burn water confuses me to this day

Old 04-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #32
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

I know, it's a tall order.

But I'll take the friends.

Dave

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-05-2013, 08:01 PM   #33
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by superlazy View Post
I lived with a gal that could not boil water How somebody could burn water confuses me to this day
I prefer boiled water with salt, noodles and olive oil please.

Dave

Old 04-05-2013, 08:21 PM   #34
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

I lived with a gal that made my water boil. Then it kinda got lukewarm, Oh well

Old 04-05-2013, 08:28 PM   #35
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Dave View Post
I prefer boiled water with salt, noodles and olive oil please.

Dave
Ribs added?

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #36
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Dang, first there was the post that was bee-itchin' about not enough pictures, now this. Sniff. I think I'm gonna go join the BBQ sistren. They'll probably appreciate a sensitive guy like me.

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #37
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

You said it Super!

(After the crockpot)

Dave

Old 04-05-2013, 08:34 PM   #38
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

The_Kapn- I have been here for a long time and have watched all the "cultural" changes--both good and bad.
Brisket has become the most frequently discussed and fought about item I have ever seen--and for no reason I can figure out.

It seems to be apparent that the reason for this is new brethren wanting to know all that we've learned and needing help, so as nice breathren we do just that in are own way technique etc.

There are folks that consider it the "holy grail" and say ya gotta do "this, that, and the other" to make some sort of nirvana brisket.

I don't think I've ever read about someone dictating this is the only way brisket can be cooked my way or the highway mentality doesn't seem to be the nature of this here brethren.

Foil, Paper, nothing--225, 250, 275, 300, 325--just pick a Farking technique and a number and cook the Farking meat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To each his own you should've also included sous vide

I think 90% of the more of the "help me" brisket threads are due to under cooking. SIMPLE

I couldn't agree more, practice makes perfect.

Back when I first starting competing in 2004, brisket was our best category and remained so to the end in 2010. Although we were not "nationally" ranked, we were always contenders.
We injected, cooked, foiled, and sliced the flat with cubed point around the sides--simple!

I'm willing to bet you spent weekend honing your craft that leads me back to practice and I'm sure you put in work before you put your name on it. Am I wrong?

For folks that view Texas as the birthplace of BBQ Brisket (which I am not uncomfortable with)--do you really think the folks in the past made it so complicated???

Keeping it simple is something of a tradition around here. I don't think anythings complicated about bbq I think it's over thought most the time.

For those of you who claim that ya gotta cook a hundred or a thousand briskets to get the "feel right"--how do you sleep with that kind of crap!
Brisket is one of the easier meats to cook IMHO~

I sleep very well and am a firm believer of BluDawgs BBQ RULES, back to practice your making it sound like you came out swingin moist tender brisket without having a few cooks under your belt, did I miss something here?

But, what in the heck do I know??

TIM

Conclusion: People may say it's easy or nothing to it but at one point it was a challenge and without cooking more asking questions an trying new things you will never learn.Nice rant though

Old 04-05-2013, 08:35 PM   #39
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry The Toad View Post
Dang, first there was the post that was bee-itchin' about not enough pictures, now this. Sniff. I think I'm gonna go join the BBQ sistren. They'll probably appreciate a sensitive guy like me.

If it will make you feel better, I'll sit down the next time I pee.

Dave

Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #40
Terry The Toad
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-Dave View Post
If it will make you feel better, I'll sit down the next time I pee.

Dave
You mean you don't now?

"I love animals. I just love to eat them more. Fun to pet; better to chew." - Jim Gaffigan
Terry The Toad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 08:55 PM   #41
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

Terry needs a hug ....

Dave

Old 04-05-2013, 08:56 PM   #42
CharredApron
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
The_Kapn- I have been here for a long time and have watched all the "cultural" changes--both good and bad.
Brisket has become the most frequently discussed and fought about item I have ever seen--and for no reason I can figure out.

It seems to be apparent that the reason for this is new brethren wanting to know all that we've learned and needing help, so as nice breathren we do just that in are own way technique etc.

There are folks that consider it the "holy grail" and say ya gotta do "this, that, and the other" to make some sort of nirvana brisket.

I don't think I've ever read about someone dictating this is the only way brisket can be cooked my way or the highway mentality doesn't seem to be the nature of this here brethren.

Foil, Paper, nothing--225, 250, 275, 300, 325--just pick a Farking technique and a number and cook the Farking meat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To each his own you should've also included sous vide

I think 90% of the more of the "help me" brisket threads are due to under cooking. SIMPLE

I couldn't agree more, practice makes perfect.

Back when I first starting competing in 2004, brisket was our best category and remained so to the end in 2010. Although we were not "nationally" ranked, we were always contenders.
We injected, cooked, foiled, and sliced the flat with cubed point around the sides--simple!

I'm willing to bet you spent weekend honing your craft that leads me back to practice and I'm sure you put in work before you put your name on it. Am I wrong?

For folks that view Texas as the birthplace of BBQ Brisket (which I am not uncomfortable with)--do you really think the folks in the past made it so complicated???

Keeping it simple is something of a tradition around here. I don't think anythings complicated about bbq I think it's over thought most the time.

For those of you who claim that ya gotta cook a hundred or a thousand briskets to get the "feel right"--how do you sleep with that kind of crap!
Brisket is one of the easier meats to cook IMHO~

I sleep very well and am a firm believer of BluDawgs BBQ RULES, back to practice your making it sound like you came out swingin moist tender brisket without having a few cooks under your belt, did I miss something here?

But, what in the heck do I know??

TIM

Conclusion: People may say it's easy or nothing to it but at one point it was a challenge and without cooking more asking questions an trying new things you will never learn.Nice rant though
I applaud you're conviction. Everyone here is entitled to their own opinion. And you make yours known. Stand-up! Respect those whom have gone before you, as they have paved your way>
Peace out!
Jed

Old 04-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #43
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle
is one Smokin' Farker

When I joined here last year I had never cooked a brisket before. After seeing all the "help me" threads everyday, I thought this must be a tough cut of meat to cook. Some people sounded down right scared to cook the thing. People that have been putting it off for YEARS!! That combined with the landslide of advice saying how brisket SHOULD be cooked and not always necessarily how it COULD be cooked made it seem intimidating.

But like landarc said, I just started to focus on what the more seasoned members were saying to narrow down the huge amount of information that is found here. That ended up getting me to the road map section where I found Bigabyte's tutorial. Unfortunately many of the newer people (myself at the time) don't know this valuable resource is even there. If I hadn't of listened to the old farts I probably would have junked a couple briskets.

But after following Bigabyte's tutorial pretty closely, I had a damn good brisket my first time out. I figured it must have been a fluke since so many others were either messing it up or not cooking them at all. So my next few brisket cooks I started tailoring my initial schooling with small changes to fit my preferred cooking times, tastes, and cooker. Then I found the Funk (Donnie). I cranked up my cooker, used the tri-level rub, and haven't looked back yet. The flavor profile combined with the HnF cooking temps fit my tastes and time constraints. But that's just it, it fits me personally. I'm sure at some point I'll be ready to step back out of the boat and try to switch things up, but until then I'm happy with things.

** Re-reading this I just realized I said that Bigabyte and Donnie's teachings fit me personally. There is something scary admitting that.

When all else fails just ask yourself, WWGALD???
Fo Sizzle My Nizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 PM   #44
VA-Dave
Full Fledged Farker

If Biggie can't slip it in a biscuit, he won't eat it.

I've been invited to his house for dinner before, but his dog was fat, so I didn't eat.

Dave

Old 04-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #45
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Changing the air conditioning compressor in your outdoor condenser unit is simple. Just take the old one out and put the new one in. All you need is some heat, silver solder, a wrench and a vacuum pump.

It's easy...if you know how. ;D
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote