MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #151
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

In the home stretch!!
Figured we would get a beverage photo once the final keystone was in? I think I downed a 18pk...
[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153650[/URL]

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes
Thermal Mass is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #152
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
That dome is looking good! Interesting that you at one point started to spiral up the courses to the dome top?

Thanks, because the dome was slowly turning into a tear drop i had to slowly round it out as we went up the courses, so i had to add a keystone to one of the courses, therefore it turned into a spiral.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:32 AM   #153
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermal Mass View Post
In the home stretch!!
Figured we would get a beverage photo once the final keystone was in? I think I downed a 18pk...

Lol, im not much of a drinker.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #154
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Here is some work from the past weekend. Removing the form was pretty easy using just a drill bit, a large one. Made a few holes and broke the bottom half and it was out. The hardest part was working on the inside, its not fun... Id have to admit my oven build is no where near what some of the guys have built, definitely not the cleanest, but im content with it.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:53 AM   #155
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-25-2013, 12:18 PM   #156
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Looking good, you're almost there!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:23 PM   #157
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

Looking good!!
It is interesting how much mortar you "think" got between each brick, until you actually look at it from the inside...
Was glad to see you opted not to burn out the form.
Looks like your "Grouting" finished it off nicely.

"[COLOR=Navy]When it comes right down to it, you just want to be surrounded by good people and good food."[/COLOR]-Chuck Hughes

Old 03-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #158
Twelvegaugepump
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin
Default Building a 42" Brick Pizza Oven & Grill.

Looks great. Should be done by the time the snow melts here in WI (third week of June?)
Twelvegaugepump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #159
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys. Getting in there to clean and fill in the gaps was a royal PITA. My neck was beyond sore the next morning. Im just glad its all done. I need to work on the chimney next.

Old 03-25-2013, 03:28 PM   #160
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I've never done anything like that, but to me it looks like your finish grouting sealed it up and made it look really nice. IMHO you should be proud of the product!

Old 03-25-2013, 03:40 PM   #161
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Sweet!
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #162
djoseph74
On the road to being a farker

As always, love the pics, very instructional as well to us who haven't done this before. Keep it up.

Old 03-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #163
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
I've never done anything like that, but to me it looks like your finish grouting sealed it up and made it look really nice. IMHO you should be proud of the product!

Thank you, i am. The gaps are filled with the same mortar that was used to lay the bricks. The smaller cracks were used with finer sand.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:12 PM   #164
V-wiz
is One Chatty Farker

Spent some time the other day cleaning up the re purposed/vintage bricks i picked up for free. They have so much character. I had to remove the mortar and sand, using a hammer, Spackle and wire brush. You can see all the mortar and sand ive removed.

Old 03-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #165
Thermal Mass
is one Smokin' Farker

$1-2 per brick savings, that's a lot of DOUGH!
That pile alone should cover the cost of insulation?