MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #1
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Default Cutting board recommendations......

I really need to get a couple cutting boards and some decent knives for ribs, briskets and trimming work.

I need boards large enough to be useful, but small enough to fit easily in the dishwasher.

Knives....again, nothing too fancy, dishwasher safe, something I can easily sharpen as needed.

I didn't know if there was a good online source of products folks around here liked.

Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

I use a custom maple board I had made to fit into my kitchen cabinets. It never sees the dishwasher. As for knives, buy good ones and never put them in the dishwasher. Get yourself a ceramic steel and you should be set.
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #3
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

It sounds like you're after plastic boards you can run through the dishwasher. There are places to custom order size / thickness / edging / etc. They can get pricey quick for small quantities especially if you get a lot of custom options, but still, it's out there if you really need a specific size. WebRestaurantStore, CustomCuttingBoards.com, probably others.

The best prices I've seen on plastic / nylon was at the local restaurant supply store, maybe there's one in your area?

Knives are tougher, I don't know of any decent quality steel knives you can dishwasher clean. I have the mid-range Wustofs and love them (Gourmet line). Had a Global in the past and wow, it was awesome, but a pain to get sharpened properly because of the way they're edged. Victorinox are often highly rated and very inexpensive if you go with the fibrox grips instead of the rosewood. Check Amazon. Knives are highly personal. Do you prefer a heavy, German knife or a lighter Japanese style?

Afterthought: if you look into Victorinox, know that their filet / trimming knives come in varying grades of blade flexibility, which is not listed clearly on Amazon. If you're after a certain stiffness or flexibility, you may want to go to the Victorinox website and get the model number you prefer and double check it's the same before you order.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

We need to start with a budget. Most knives and dishwashers don't mix. I only dishwash my plastic cutting board and have a nice wood one I wipe down.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Here's an article comparing wood to plastic.
http://www.organicauthority.com/eco-...rd-better.html
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Foxfire
Full Fledged Farker

I'm partial to bamboo boards, but wouldn't dishwasher them.
[COLOR="Blue"]Blue [/COLOR]Weber Performer + Craycort CI • [COLOR="red"]Brick Red[/COLOR] Weber One-Touch Platinum • Weber 26.75 Kettle • Akorn Kamado • ET 732 • Record-crushing [COLOR="Orange"][B]ORANGE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen • UDS In Progress
Foxfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

If you want a dishwasher safe board you cant beat the white plastic boards at walmart i have several in numerous sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-20-2013, 12:14 PM   #8
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

I wish I had the budget for some super nice knives, but my wife and son would have them messed up in short order. . Dishwasher & banging them in stainless sink, etc.

I'll check Walmart and Academy tomorrow.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:43 PM   #9
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

I'd say victorinox would be a good fit for you. My family abuses the knives and they just end up in the dishwasher so high end knives would just get destroyed at my house. I have several victorinox knives that see the dishwasher regularly and I sharpen them often. I'd definitely get a thicker cutting board if you go plastic or nylon. We have a few that wifey throws in the dishwasher so over time they have warped a little, they were cheap though so it's not a big deal.

Sent from my Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

As for knives mad cow cutlery sells a set they call i believe the bbq competition set. They are mundial knives and have been great couple quick swipes on the sharpening rod before using and they are good to go.

Old 01-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.madcowcutlery.com/store/p...ps-72p1573.htm

I have these and love them

Old 01-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubfromGA View Post
I wish I had the budget for some super nice knives, but my wife and son would have them messed up in short order. . Dishwasher & banging them in stainless sink, etc.

I'll check Walmart and Academy tomorrow.
Put on your Big boy pants Tell the kid if he touches them it will be the last time he sees his fingers attached and the Wife it is grounds for the big "D"! After all You don't use her curling Iron ( well maybe you do) No reason a Hard working man can't have a Few Things of his own.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:03 AM   #13
captndan
Quintessential Chatty Farker

And make sure they have the NSF on them.
captndan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #14
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militant83 View Post
http://www.madcowcutlery.com/store/p...ps-72p1573.htm

I have these and love them

This is a really cool set with all the knives you really need and a nice carrying case to boot.

But for a home set I would use a knife block for safe storage.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Put on your Big boy pants Tell the kid if he touches them it will be the last time he sees his fingers attached and the Wife it is grounds for the big "D"! After all You don't use her curling Iron ( well maybe you do) No reason a Hard working man can't have a Few Things of his own.
Done!

Knives and boards will be had !

Mine, all mine.

Nope to tha curlin iron. Ma hair is too short.