MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #211
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance309 View Post
Kind of confused now. I was planning on getting a upright UDS, but after reading this thread things are not as clear. How would the food taste different? I hear people say the food tastes better with a PBC. Is it just because the food is hung not sitting on grate, seems like they are the same basic design, coals on bottom of barrel, Heat and smoke inclosed in barrel, food near top of barrel.

Don't get caught up on the " tastes better" concept... totally subjective and of the opinion of less than a half-dozen people who have posted. I think it's a bit too soon for a PBC to totally take the throne away from a UDS (even though a PBC is basically just one persons variation of a UDS)

"tastes Different".. I can buy that, but " tastes better" ??... depends who is doing the cooking and tasting.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #212
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
Don't get caught up on the " tastes better" concept... totally subjective and of the opinion of less than a half-dozen people who have posted. I think it's a bit too soon for a PBC to totally take the throne away from a UDS (even though a PBC is basically just one persons variation of a UDS)

"tastes Different".. I can buy that, but " tastes better" ??... depends who is doing the cooking and tasting.
One.... why is BDS on Thirdeyes' UDS? Isn't there already a Big Drum Smoker? Oh wait.... you bought it. LOL I which I freakin had.

Two... on the "tatses icky" theme. One has to remember our UDS thread on this forum is over 260K hitz.... not to mention all the others, including the one I liked... Redneck makes a UDS. But that being said at some point I remembered someone saying something along these lines before and basically likened it to something a UDS does that our oven cannot because nearly all of them are offset. That is significally retain the taste of meat fat dripping on a coal fire. BUT.... that person as I rfecalled was indeed cooking at 225 or so and not hotter.

I personally, now that I have my UDS ready somewhat... cannot wait to GO BACK to low and slow. I know people will **** a brick when I say that but I would like to put a brisket back on the smoker at say, 230, just because these things ensure I can.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #213
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

Agreed. Although I'm not one of them, some folks don't like the raised direct / open pit barbecue flavor you get from a full-size BDS / UDS cooker. That said, before getting my drums I got into raised direct cooking on my Egg, and now I also have a third option to cook raised direct on my Smokey Joe Tallboy.... in raised direct set-up, all three cookers deliver a slightly different flavor to the meat as well as a different smell out of the top vent.

So,...... One man's sweet spot might not be another man's sweet spot.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 12:20 PM   #214
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance309 View Post
Kind of confused now. I was planning on getting a upright UDS, but after reading this thread things are not as clear. How would the food taste different? I hear people say the food tastes better with a PBC. Is it just because the food is hung not sitting on grate, seems like they are the same basic design, coals on bottom of barrel, Heat and smoke inclosed in barrel, food near top of barrel.

Let's be honest here. The name UGLY drum smoker is cute but essentially does not accurately describe what UDS is. It is an UPRIGHT Drum Smoker. UPRIGHT. When we describe someone what UDS.... the U really is for Upright. The word Upright, allows us to properly categorize this smoker, what makes it unique and what it is capable of doing.... which essentially its claim to fame is not that it is ugly, or easy to make, but capable of efficently cooking bbq at a VERY stable temp, over a long period of time WITH ALMOST NO INTERACTION (electronic or otherwise) between the equipment and the operator. That last thing in bold makes the UDS unique and it is tied closely to the fact it is upright.... something its horizontal counterpart cannot do. In addition, it does this in a relatively SEALED environment (by bbq standards). So the term UPRIGHT is really what makes these item tick, it gives them their wonderful cooking properties.... therefore, any smoker sharing that one trait, no matter whether you hang or not, have horseshoes or obsteric stirrups for handles, are fresh steel or made of old drums that previously held dung, none of that matters as much to the operation of these types of smokers. The beauty of the PBC is that it is an UDS UPRIGHT DRUM SMOKER, less ugly maybe, smaller and more compact, cleaner and less hassle, cheaper probably than you can make yourself with a lot less hassle.

And woe be those that try and hinge the PBC's worth on NOT being a UDS and that it is revolutionary... patent or no. No... I am not sayign ANYONE has said that. The reaosn why is because eventually all our UDS's are going to rust out and so are we. As we get older we will probably just want to buy our next version of the UDS..... we are potential customers in essense. Saying its not a UDS is just silly.

Edict.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-06-2013, 12:22 PM   #215
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post

I personally, now that I have my UDS ready somewhat... cannot wait to GO BACK to low and slow. I know people will **** a brick when I say that but I would like to put a brisket back on the smoker at say, 230, just because these things ensure I can.
You are gonna fark with a lot of peoples heads with that move !!!

Hot & Fast was SO 2012...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #216
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
So,...... One man's sweet spot might not be another man's sweet spot.

How come he can talk about "sweet spots" and I can't.

Edict.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #217
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
You are gonna fark with a lot of peoples heads with that move !!!

Hot & Fast was SO 2012...

Maybe it will come with the name change.

Edict.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:38 PM   #218
thirdeye

Quote:

... I personally, now that I have my UDS ready somewhat... cannot wait to GO BACK to low and slow. I know people will **** a brick when I say that but I would like to put a brisket back on the smoker at say, 230, just because these things ensure I can.
Not all drums are low-n-slo. One thing to experiment with, and I don't know if it's the same for all upright drum cookers, but I see about a 50° difference in pit temp between the short stem thermometer on the side of the pit and my 12" long thermometer. Both are at the same level, but of course the 12" one is reading temps closer to the center of the drum.

My point is, the first few years I cooked on the BDS's they were happy running at 240° (reading the short stem thermometer), so that was where I cooked.... Then I monitored the grate temps with a cable thermomerter in the middle of the grate for a few cooks which led me to installing the second (12" long stem) thermometer. So, lo and behold, I then realized that I was really cooking in the 290° range all along. Now, when I want to cook at a real low temp, like for a prime rib or some fatties.... I know that < 200° on the short stem therm will give me 240°-250° actual at the center of the grate.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-06-2013, 12:56 PM   #219
thirdeye

Quote:
Let's be honest here. The name UGLY drum smoker is cute but essentially does not accurately describe what UDS is. It is an UPRIGHT Drum Smoker. UPRIGHT. When we describe someone what UDS.... the U really is for Upright. The word Upright, allows us to properly categorize this smoker, what makes it unique and what it is capable of doing.... which essentially its claim to fame is not that it is ugly, or easy to make, but capable of efficently cooking bbq at a VERY stable temp, over a long period of time WITH ALMOST NO INTERACTION (electronic or otherwise) between the equipment and the operator. That last thing in bold makes the UDS unique and it is tied closely to the fact it is upright.... something its horizontal counterpart cannot do. In addition, it does this in a relatively SEALED environment (by bbq standards). So the term UPRIGHT is really what makes these item tick, it gives them their wonderful cooking properties.... therefore, any smoker sharing that one trait, no matter whether you hang or not, have horseshoes or obsteric stirrups for handles, are fresh steel or made of old drums that previously held dung, none of that matters as much to the operation of these types of smokers. The beauty of the PBC is that it is an UDS UPRIGHT DRUM SMOKER, less ugly maybe, smaller and more compact, cleaner and less hassle, cheaper probably than you can make yourself with a lot less hassle.

And woe be those that try and hinge the PBC's worth on NOT being a UDS and that it is revolutionary... patent or no. No... I am not sayign ANYONE has said that. The reaosn why is because eventually all our UDS's are going to rust out and so are we. As we get older we will probably just want to buy our next version of the UDS..... we are potential customers in essense. Saying its not a UDS is just silly.
Donny,

It's funny you should describe drums this way.... in '04 or '05 I was following Rocky's posts on various forums about the BDS and was on the fence about pulling the trigger when Danny Gaulden wrote a review about them. I've always had a lot of respect for Danny and had eaten at the Dairy Queen
(sadly never getting to meet him in person) before I really knew who he was.... anyways, here is the paragraph from Danny's review that made me buy one in '06 and another one the next year. The minute Danny said "Grandpa smell" it was all over for me. You see, my Grandpaw was the one that taught me to cook in the late 60's. I called Rocky the next day and we talked for an hour or more.... he shipped one out the next day on my word that the check was in the mail.

Clip from Danny Gaulden's BDS review-

Within 15 minutes of the first cook, I knew this pit was a winner. The smell was absolutely what I look for in a first class cooker and NEVER have I achived this quality for the price and cooking capacity. I call it that ol’ time “Grandpaw smell”… when many years ago men cooked meat over hardwood coals and the smoke from the wood and the drippings from the meat fell down into the fire, creating an aroma that was unforgetable. It was a lot of work. Not saying that some folks don’t do this today, but they are a dying breed. This pit accomplishes this ol’ time flavor with little effort due to the fact that the cooking grate is located about 24 inches from the bottom of the charcoal ring which allows direct cooking over the coals, plus the well thought out design from Mr. Richmond. There’s a lot more to what he has created than just cutting a hole in the bottom and top of a barrel and calling it a good cooker.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #220
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

You know how I feel about Danny, as typified i this video, both stealing from him and going beyond.

He is cannonized at the 3:50 mark.

Ah yes,,, That grandpa smell. I remember you telling me this in 2007 as Barbefunkoramaque. You were the first to at least ride the funkytrain. I let you call me Donnie T too.

Still use your 21 inch "temp" probe you made me. You are loved!

As a guy who confuses people by taking two sides on every issue, I will say this upon reading that ----one also could say that designer of the PBC is "a lot more to what he has created than just cutting a hole in the bottom and top of a barrel and calling it a good cooker."

Of course Rocky got this far first.... or rather.... thousands of other did over decades.

PS.... the TOPS of our barrels and the band that secured them.................. should really be the bottoms. That means we cut off both ends, and then are capable of simply pulling off the barrel to get at the bottom. When it rots out... just buy a new top and you are good to go.

Edict.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #221
thirdeye

Quote:
... I let you call me Donnie T too.
Well, there is a story behind that. You see you are not my only BBQ mentor that goes by Pitmaster T. My buddy "T" over in Utah.... who by the way is also is friends with Danny, owns a BDS and some UDS's, and who, like yourself, has also taught me a lot, goes by Pitmaster T as well.

So Donny T is a slip of the tongue, as I get confused between you two sometimes. Here is T next to Showtime, his cooker.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #222
trance309
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:

Thank you all for clearing things up for me. You guys are great. I am pretty new to all of this but learning every day. I think ill stick with my original build plan but now i have a whole bunch of mods in mind that will be implemented. Hope to have some picks in a few weeks.
trance309 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #223
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Sorry to get on topic, but how hot does the PBC get, my drum will run 425... if I let it.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #224
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
First, I'm not aware of any "cult", but that aside, there are many PBC customers at or near sea level.

Second, the beauty of the PBC is that it doesn't matter if you're in Death Valley or on top of Pike's Peak. They pre-set the intake for your elevation before they ship it. Your cooking experience in NY will be the same as for me here in Boise at 2700 feet.

If you have further questions I'd encourage you go call the owner of the company. Noah puts his personal cell number on every cooker, and on his web site.

John
Intake vs outflow air is determined by the area of the openings, not air pressure, which is equal at both openings. How does one "pre-set it" by elevation? Wouldn't one setting work for all elevations?

Old 01-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #225
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Intake vs outflow air is determined by the area of the openings, not air pressure, which is equal at both openings. How does one "pre-set it" by elevation? Wouldn't one setting work for all elevations?
It's not about air pressure, it's about combustion. There is less oxygen at higher elevations, thus less combustion. Thus you need more intake at a higher elevation to get the same amount of oxygen (combustion) that you'd have at a lower elevation.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote