Smoked Cheese

smoked mozzarella is my favorite. It takes smoke easy and only takes a hour or two to finish, be sure and get a whole milk mozzarella, do not use fresh or buffalo mozzarella....besides it makes the best smoked mozzarella fodue

smoked mozzarella is my favorite. It takes smoke easy and only takes a hour or two to finish, be sure and get a whole milk mozzarella, do not use fresh or buffalo mozzarella....besides it makes the best smoked mozzarella fodue

I've been wanting to try smoking some of the mozzarella string cheese sticks but keep forgetting to buy them... I think these would be great to take to work.

I've heard both sides of the mozzarella thing. Don't use fresh mozz and make sure to use fresh mozz. Is this just a taste preference thing or does one smoke better than the other?

I've been wanting to try smoking some of the mozzarella string cheese sticks but keep forgetting to buy them... I think these would be great to take to work.

That's a good idea. I'll throw a few on with everything else. Having a 6 year old all but guarantees we have some string cheese in the fridge.

We'll post some pics afterwards.

To make this more interesting, what beers go well with which smoked cheeses?

:thumb:

I smoked 15# of cheese just before Christmas. After smoking was complete I turned on a big electric fan and let the blocks cool while still in the smoker.
I placed them into a couple of pans into the beer fridge they went. I was planning on letting them dry for 24 hrs. Life got busy and they were wrapped around the 48 hr mark. Rested a week in plastic wrap and were distributed out after 5 days. Got rave reviews after this last batch.

Does the fridge end up smelling all smokey after letting the cheese cool?

Quote originally posted by ymmiT:

I am coming down with August Schells Snowstorm. I think that will go good.

Quote originally posted by ymmiT:

I am coming down with August Schells Snowstorm. I think that will go good.

I'm thinking of a refreshing Chardonnay, lightly oaked, with a soft hint of aromatics, like green apple and lemon zest...... :mrgreen:

Old Milwaukee goes great with smoked cheese!

One tip on smoking cheese that I do is to place parchment paper on the grate before putting the cheese on the smoker. It keeps the black lines from forming on the cheese. It does nothing for the flavor, purely astetic, I usually give a lot of cheese away to family and friends during the holidays and want it to look nice.

Old Milwaukee goes great with smoked cheese!

One tip on smoking cheese that I do is to place parchment paper on the grate before putting the cheese on the smoker. It keeps the black lines from forming on the cheese. It does nothing for the flavor, purely astetic, I usually give a lot of cheese away to family and friends during the holidays and want it to look nice.

Or you can use these grill grates made for veggies and fish. I keep one set just for cheese.

9-2-12027AAA.jpg

Back