MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc
Default Smoking in an English Gale

Medium-Time Lurker / First-time Poster -

EDIT - Apologies for the image issues - if you've got words on linking images from Flickr, I'll welcome a private message - too long messing around with this post and not enough time watching pit temps = a bad idea.

Gents, as a TarHeel transplanted to the East of England (aka East Anglia) for work, I was thrilled to stumble onto the BBQ Brethren forums. You've provided me with a fair amount of research, good advice for tweaking previous recipes/smoking techniques, and thoughts regarding dry rubs and sauces. Many thanks.

Thanks to some serious encouragement in the form of recent threads regarding smoking boston butts (I'm going through some serious pulled pork withdrawal), I decided to give it a shot on this side of the pond. (Mind you, I think I've got loin back ribs, pork spareribs, and beef brisket pretty well squared for our tastes).

Despite all of the fantastic threads about meat selection, I'm afraid that I'm tied to the DoD's commissary system for much of what I can get... so I could only find a couple of smaller boston butts... boneless.. about 3.4 and 3.2 lbs, respectively. Hey, that just means that I get to use both of my traditional dry rubs on some pork and hopefully get some mean pulled pork from the deal!
http://flic.kr/p/dFohfq

I think I chose the wrong day to smoke, fellas. There's a serious gale blowing through the village today, and just getting the charcoal to light and get going was an adventure in itself! Finally, about 45 minutes later than I'd hoped, I got some heat going in the smoker... brought her up to temp, then put the kids in the sauna... my old hand-me-down offset smoker from another barbecue brother of mine from assignments around the globe: http://flic.kr/p/dFojYJ

So, as you can probably see from the million thermometers in the next picture, I'm off and running on an afternoon of barbecue smoking. The wind is frustrating and I can't get a solid reading on the temperature in my smoker... but she's merrily piping hickory smoke into the East Cambridgeshire sky, and I think I'll be forced to pull these butts and carefully finish them in the greater ease of control of our oven.
http://flic.kr/p/dFoivA

More words to follow.... Thanks again for the encouragement, the great information, and the ideas to keep me smoking great barbecue and showing the Brits what good American 'Cue is all about! I guarantee that you fellas would make an absolute killing if you ever considered bringing your grub over to "Jolly Old" England.

Kind regards,
SD

Last edited by ShadowDriver; 12-29-2012 at 08:28 AM.. Reason: Photos not working
ShadowDriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 12-29-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

All I got was red x's.

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
ShadowDriver

Default Pron Fail!

OK, thanks, Gary.

I'll go take a look at the links... work well from this end. I probably screwed it up somehow.... bloody Flickr links.

SD

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #4
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome.
The harsher the weather, the sweeter the taste of the pork.

Your pictures aren't showing up here. Not sure why.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Try getting rid of the SSL for the HTTP connection and see if the pics come through. IE: http instead of https for the links.

Looks good btw - you can copy and paste the urls into a browser and see the pics.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
ShadowDriver

Thanks, guys. I'll sort out the pictures piece later - weather turned to absolute crap as the skies opened up and it's pouring down rain. *chuckle*

Hoping that Jonboy's mention of WX vs. barbecue quality holds true.

*sigh* - I'll pour another beer and go stoke the coals a bit.

Old 12-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #7
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

I would not fret about the size of the butts you can find there. I used to use "boneless rib tip trimmings" that I found at a local grocery. They were pieces of pork that ranged from pork chop size to about twice the size of my fist. They made great Q. I'd stack the smaller pieces so they would not cook too much faster than the big pieces. My criteria is that there be a reasonable amount of fat in the meat. I pass on pork tenderloins for that reason. Tried one once and it was a bit dry.

An advantage of smaller butts is that there will be more surface for the rub and smoke absorption and they will cook in less time.
HankB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
ShadowDriver

Butts easing their way from 175 to 195 before I allow them to rest.
http://flic.kr/p/dFtfpQ

I've read a few bits on other threads about folks "dressing" their pork after / as they pull it. Others mention pulling some of the juices and adding a few other ingredients.

Any thoughts on pros / cons?

Old 12-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
Boshizzle

Awesome cook, bro, and welcome!

BTW - To display your pics, you have to use the URL to the actual JPG file and wrap it with the IMG tags like this -

Old 12-29-2012, 02:38 PM   #10
ShadowDriver

First Boston Butt pulled, dressed, nibbled, and nearly devoured.

Waiting for second one to come up to temp for another tasty round of grub.

Cheers for the welcome, guys. I think I figured out the bit with Flickr's photos. Thanks for the patience.

SD

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #11
Bluebird
is one Smokin' Farker

Welcome to the Brethren.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #12
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
"dressing" their pork after / as they pull it.
Looks like the pork came out great.

Sometimes we dress the pork with a finishing sauce, sometimes not.
You can mix up something with the de fatted drippings,bbq rub, bbq sauce, vinegar, apple juice...no wrong way,its a thinned out sauce, it might add a little moisture and flavor to the final product.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote