ABSOLUTELY NO FEE $40,000 AZ BBQ Fest!!

Grizmt

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Yep, I was floored as well but here it is in print. www.azbbqfestival.com
Check it out for yourself, from how I read it free,zippo,nada, nothing!

That’s right, can you believe it’s almost time for the 3rd Annual Arizona Barbecue Festival held in Scottsdale, AZ? Well we’ve got some news for you. How about we’ve just upgraded the location to Salt River Fields. Not the parking lot, ALL GRASS, ALL DAY LONG! It’s sick. We’re gearing up to double our last attendance, team entries, all of it. And while we’re doubling things, how about we double the prize fund? That’s right! We’re doubling it to $40,000! Think you competitors out there can take that down? Then better hurry and sign up. We’re only allowing a limited amount of teams.

David and Rick put on absolutely class A contests here in Arizona. This is as much a large Scottsdale social event as it is a BBQ contest and it's easy to do 1000 + in pc. If you are anywhere in the area this is definitely an event to attend.

Nope on the ice and trash removel both,these promoters are the real deal,they do KCBS contests and Taco contest in AZ and they are square and stand-up straight ! They do what most other BBQ promoters don't do,they actually go out and promote contests,secure prize money,secure sponsors,they don't need entry fee money for the prize fund,they are REAL,actual promoters.We are looking forward to this event,it's gonna be great ! BTW,the Brethern banner will be proudly displayed during the contest !

Last edited:
Just a little surprised at the reaction to this...

actually I am not...bbq is more damned if you do, damned if you don't than just about anything I know.

Last edited:
This is great!

It sounds like a great event. I wish we could have something similar up here.

Congrats to the organizers and good luck to the teams.

Eric

Nope on the ice and trash removel both,these promoters are the real deal,they do KCBS contests and Taco contest in AZ and they are square and stand-up straight ! They do what most other BBQ promoters don't do,they actually go out and promote contests,secure prize money,secure sponsors,they don't need entry fee money for the prize fund,they are REAL,actual promoters.We are looking forward to this event,it's gonna be great ! BTW,the Brethern banner will be proudly displayed during the contest !

Well, I guess if your one of the other promoters, Tim just told ya how it is...

Though, I would think the majority of the folks are organizers and with out the "phony" promoters or organizers who god forbid, need entry money to pay, we'd all be cooking in our own backyards....

Wow! We need something like that closer to hear too! Would love to go to that one but a bit out of are range distance wise!

I would think that, with enough high end sponsors, they could pull it off, just curious how the sponsors get compensated for so much in donations?

Smokey's Bar-B-Que from Snohomish Washington will be at this competition, i am looking forward to it. Did not know that they made it a free event for competitors thanks for the information.

I would think that, with enough high end sponsors, they could pull it off, just curious how the sponsors get compensated for so much in donations?

Dave and Rick run "Affordable Food Festivals" and charge a gate for them. In this case, $10 for general admission. They do a superb job marketing, and get excellent turn out. So, in addition to sponsors, they have other revenue streams.

They definitely get high end sponsors as well.... and they seem to love the public crowds.

I'd have to agree with Tim about them being stand up guys. I've been around them either judging or vending since the first comp 3 years ago and they've ALWAYS put on a top notch show and the best part?
They've ALWAYS paid their prize fund unlike some of those "other" organizers or promoters (some of whom are still doing events aren't they?). They've always had all the stuff at events that was needed and they've always been up front and square with everyone I know of.

Here's just one example of how they are, last year at Scottsdale they put up a couple thousand out of their own pocket so the teams could do P.C.. They paid the Health Dept for everyones permit after the "experienced" person who was supposed to have it "taken care of" for the teams at the last minute didn't. If they hadn't either the teams would've had to come up with it or everyone would've gone home with tons of meat.

They certainly didn't have to do this.
I don't have a clue how they're doing this event but hey, hats off to 'em for doing something nobody that I've heard about ever has.

Be careful, you're about to open a can of worms with that one.

Exactly!..it's really this simple..if you don't like a particular promoter don't cook their contest..teams are the customers in this game and if you don't have teams you don't have a successful event..when teams don't show it speaks volumes without typing a bunch of stuff on forums.

Sorry, not intended.:redface:

Of course you didn't :roll:

And Matt you are absolutely correct. If you want to do an event fine, do it. If you don't because you have ab issue with someone, then don't do it. Pretty simple. We've done this event for the past 2 years and had a great time with no issues, all promoters included, other than the heat, but it's Arizona so what do you expect. Let the event speak for itself and people will show, there is no need to put your own agenda in here.

As I said, we've enjoyed this event the last 2 years so if give it a go!

Of course you didn't :roll:

And Matt you are absolutely correct. If you want to do an event fine, do it. If you don't because you have ab issue with someone, then don't do it. Pretty simple. We've done this event for the past 2 years and had a great time with no issues, all promoters included, other than the heat, but it's Arizona so what do you expect. Let the event speak for itself and people will show, there is no need to put your own agenda in here.

As I said, we've enjoyed this event the last 2 years so if give it a go!

I've been told and read many times about various events where the teams weren't paid and. Some I'd guess are still online the game. That was ALL I w.as referencing with what I wrote.

Back