MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #31
The Grill Sergeant
Full Fledged Farker

Had a friend that worked for Jiffy Lube and the car they had just changed oil in leaked on the guys driveway. Unfortunately, it happened to be the VP of a large concrete company... Long story short, he was consummately impressed with the stain removal, he called to ask what the guy used... It was an grease & oil cleaner from Walmart mixed with gas. Poured it on, lit it, scrubbed it with a stiff bristled brush & hosed it down... End of story.

Old 07-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #32
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

As a guy who spent close to thirty years in the tile and stone business, including selling stone restoration products, I can tell you from experience that removing stains from stone is an exercise in patience. Concrete stain removal methods are very similar. Chance are, it will take multiple attempts to remove the stain completely, but it usually can be done.

Those who mentioned kitty litter and absorbents are on the right track. Using a poultice is a matter of redissolving the stain with (depending on the stain) a detergent or solvent, and then pulling it back out with the absorbent media. Cat litter, baking soda, powdered hobby clay, and talcum powder are the most commonly used media. Cat litter does work better if it is crushed up, you really want something close to a powder.

You can start with a detergent and some water, scrub it in to the stain, and leave it just surface damp; don't leave any standing water. Sprinkle a generous layer of absorbent over the water, enough so you can't see the moisture on the concrete. Then tape a sheet of plastic over the whole thing, at least 3 inches outside of the edge of the stain. Neatness counts when spreading the media, the tape won't stick to any stray powder. When the plastic is all taped down securely, leave it.

Come back in a day or two and if the powder looks dry, or feels crusty if you poke it with a finger under the plastic sheeting, you can peel back the plastic and sweep up the powder. If it still feels soft and punky, leave it until it dries.

Now look at your stain. If it looks lighter, the poultice is working. You can go at it again with the same treatment. If it looks no different, try again, this time with a stronger concentration of cleaner or move on to a solvent. Use fresh absorbent every time. I've seen pieces of stone poulticed 6 times and more to get a stain out.

Xylene (xylol) is a good solvent to try, it's good at dissolving a wide range of oils and greases. Mineral spirits is also a good choice. These solvents don't flash off (vaporize) nearly as fast as something like naphtha or lacquer thinner, and they usually won't eat the plastic.

Remember, poulticing a small area in something like a slab is akin to creating a stain by removing a stain. The poulticed area will often be considerably cleaner than the surrounding area.

Good luck

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #33
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I tried Dawn and a scrub brush. Didn't work. I was told powered Tide might do it. Shake it on and leave it for a few days. As long as its not raining.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:30 PM   #34
ZouBBQ
On the road to being a farker

used to work at quiktrip (gas stations mostly in larger southern cities) and we would clean up gas/oil spills like this

-cover with "oil dry" which was a small grained gravel substance, works about like kitty litter
-take piece of cardboard (or just use your shoe), put it on top of the spill, step on it, and grind it really good into the concrete
-sweep into dustpan
-apply de-greasing solvent/detergent, regular old dish soap would do a pretty good job if you're on a budget i'd imagine
-power wash the concrete. if you don't have a power washer you probably know someone that would lend you one. otherwise, they're farkin awesome so you might as well go and get yourself a decent one. we have the greenworks 1700psi electric pressure washer from lowe's and it's very nice

repeat as needed. the sun and weather will also break down the oils so eventually the stain will fade naturally if you don't think it's worth all the effort
ZouBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2011, 06:25 AM   #35
ibait2fish
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post
I've used "clumping" style kitty litter on an oil spill on the driveway. I had to leave it there for a couple of days but it picked up the oil and left the spot where the oil was "whiter" than the surrounding cement.
Yep. Kitty litter or commercial floordry are the way to go.
Old fridge
Busted gas grill
Blows a greasy sax
ibait2fish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #36
jmilleronaire
Knows what a fatty is.

I got a bag of the expensive floor dry made of diatomaceous earth. Holy crap, it pulled out so many stains the floor in that area is cleaner than the rest now!

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk
jmilleronaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-25-2023, 07:47 AM   #37
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

Bump for 2023!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2023, 08:07 AM   #38
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

I soak with Dawn and while still moist put about an 1/8" of Oxyclean, or some sort of powdered detergent. Then I let it sit until it rains, which may be a while.
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2023, 11:26 AM   #39
cholloway
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Colin

You may get the grease out but, I'm afraid the stain is there to stay.
I've never been successful in getting the concrete back to where it was.
Char-Broil 450 (Purchased new in 1981)
1996 Blue Weber SS Performer
Weber charcoal Go-Anywhere
2 Weber SJSs & modified stock pot Mini-WSM
Weber rotisserie, Rib-O-Lator & Smokenator system
Blackstone Tailgater Combo & STOK Island gasser
cholloway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2023, 11:38 AM   #40
Twangzer Mike

Name/Nickname : Mike

Don't do what I did .... took a power washer to it ..... got everything out including the concrete skim coat ....
Twangzer Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2023, 12:07 PM   #41
Charny

This seems more like a confessions thread.

This summer I put the charcoal chimney on our concrete walkway. Whoops! Took a chunk out and left some carbon stains. Didn't have much luck with the stains but they are finally fading. Fortunately I resisted making it worse with the pressure washer.. I will fill it soon with some patch but I'm not sure how to get a similar texture and color.
Charny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-25-2023, 12:24 PM   #42
SMOKE FREAK
Babbling Farker

I think the answer is obvious.
Since nothing will get the stains out, just grease up the rest of the concrete and you'll never notice the original stain again.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:59 PM   #43
PitRow
is one Smokin' Farker

Don't know about stains from BBQ, but for stains from car oil I always doused it with Castrol SuperClean, then covered it in kitty litter. Then grind the kitty liter in with your foot until it's just dust. Sweep it up and the stain is gone.

Old 09-26-2023, 06:18 AM   #44
Colorado0321
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : D

I wound up getting my concrete patio covered with a polyurea/polyaspartic coating a few months ago. Probably too soon to tell how durable it really is, but I've dropped plenty of grease on it and had some rust marks from my Lang 36's wheels come right off from just spraying with a generic surface cleaner and wiping with a paper towel. Cost a couple grand for a little over 300 sq ft, to include a vertical step around the whole patio. So far, it seems worth it. The only thing I need to look out for is dropping any coals or firey logs on it, because it will burn. I've been using an auto drip pan when cooking to help prevent that.
Colorado0321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-2023, 03:29 PM   #45
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I just let my neighbor's two golden retrievers lick up the stains!😊😊😊😊

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete, grease, Grill, Patio, stain