MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-29-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.

Default Competition Sponsorship Questions

Hello. I am a classically trained chef with a passion for the que. I own a BBQ catering company and am planning to dive into competition this season. I know my way around a smoker, although competition is new to me. I've taken some classes, read a thousand pages from the masters (multiple times) and believe I am ready to tackle my first season. I am as ready as anyone that started in competition...at least I think so...lol.

Last night, I secured a sponsor to pay all entry fees, expenses and product. In return, I give back all winnings and money earned from vending. The goal is to break even and\or make them some cash in the form of fundraising. I will have all of the help I can handle provided by the sponsor, so I can concentrate on the competition, while others can work on the vending. I am not looking to profit from competitions at this point. I want the experience and hopefully some glory to establish my catering company. This would be a long term relationship with the sponsor, assuming I can break even and/or raise the sponsor some funds, while getting their name out to the public.

My question is this.....How much money can I expect to earn in vending at a small to medium sized competition? Is it a reasonable assumption that I could break even with local contests (nothing far away)?

Thanks for any input. If you see pitfalls in my plan, please point them out.

Have a good one.

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue]12'x30" Dual Axle Smoker Trailer[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]KCBS Member #61221[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Hoosier Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier Chef View Post
Hello. I am a classically trained chef with a passion for the que. I own a BBQ catering company and am planning to dive into competition this season. I know my way around a smoker, although competition is new to me. I've taken some classes, read a thousand pages from the masters (multiple times) and believe I am ready to tackle my first season. I am as ready as anyone that started in competition...at least I think so...lol.

Last night, I secured a sponsor to pay all entry fees, expenses and product. In return, I give back all winnings and money earned from vending. The goal is to break even and\or make them some cash in the form of fundraising. I will have all of the help I can handle provided by the sponsor, so I can concentrate on the competition, while others can work on the vending. I am not looking to profit from competitions at this point. I want the experience and hopefully some glory to establish my catering company. This would be a long term relationship with the sponsor, assuming I can break even and/or raise the sponsor some funds, while getting their name out to the public.

My question is this.....How much money can I expect to earn in vending at a small to medium sized competition? Is it a reasonable assumption that I could break even with local contests (nothing far away)?

Thanks for any input. If you see pitfalls in my plan, please point them out.

Have a good one.
Vending at competitions isn't really done here so I can't comment on what you can expect to average but I am a little concerned with the sponsorship deal you cut. Let's say you have a superior year and end up at the Jack or Royal and winning the whole shooting match would be happy to hand over that check and all those before it to your sponsor? What business is your sponsor in?
Doc

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
Hoosier Chef
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Vending at competitions isn't really done here so I can't comment on what you can expect to average but I am a little concerned with the sponsorship deal you cut. Let's say you have a superior year and end up at the Jack or Royal and winning the whole shooting match would be happy to hand over that check and all those before it to your sponsor? What business is your sponsor in?
Doc
While I appreciate your faith in me, I am not expecting to take home Grand Champion at the Royal. Wait, let me dream about that for a second.......

This year is all about learning and the experience. There is no contract and the sponsor is a non-profit culinary organization that I am a member of. They are looking for some community exposure, while giving a few members the experience of competing. The sponsorship would take the pressure of expenses from me, so that I can concentrate on competing, while giving back to the organization.

[FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue]12'x30" Dual Axle Smoker Trailer[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1][COLOR=seagreen]KCBS Member #61221[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Hoosier Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #4
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
While I appreciate your faith in me, I am not expecting to take home Grand Champion at the Royal.
I don't think anyone does.

As far as vending profits vs. comp expenses ... profits should outweigh expenses. Are you planning on vending at each comp you will be sponsored at?
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:

This year is all about learning and the experience. There is no contract and the sponsor is a non-profit culinary organization that I am a member of. They are looking for some community exposure, while giving a few members the experience of competing. The sponsorship would take the pressure of expenses from me, so that I can concentrate on competing, while giving back to the organization.
Ahh now I see said the blind man. Sounds like it should work well for both of you.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #6
SirPorkaLot
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : John

Biggest issue i see with your plan is that competition & vending is two different animals.

Most comps we go to they don't allow the competing teams to vend (at least not from their cook site), and they don't allow vendors to compete (from their vending site)

• Vendors require health dept. inspections, licensing, and ability to churn out a lot or product in a short time
  • Competition Teams: Don't have to have licenses or HD inspections (other than on-site meat inspection), and turn out very little product (but high quality).
There are some contests you can do both, but you have to be set up to do so.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #7
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

If you vend you will pay all your expense, what is the plus for involving a sponsor? If you vend and give him the money the you are sponsoring him. Or I must be missing something.

Giving the sponsor the profit of vending and the winnings sounds like a SWEET deal for the sponsor.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:45 PM   #8
luckyduk
Full Fledged Farker

Sounds like you are their workhorse.....
you could get some experience for just your effort...which is a big plus!!
A fair deal would be to give them the vending profits and you get any winnings ...or at least a portion of them

Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #9
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

What is the KCBS rule on selling out of your contest pit? I am under the impression that it is verbotten!
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrink01 View Post
What is the KCBS rule on selling out of your contest pit? I am under the impression that it is verbotten!
It is...

Neil

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Most comps around here don't have vending opportunities.

Also, most comp sites won't pass health dept vending requirements...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes View Post

I'm toying with vending at a contest in St. Louis this fall, but if we do we'll take our vending pit / trailer and crew it whilst I contest cook out of my toyhauler.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #13
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
Most comps we go to they don't allow the competing teams to vend (at least not from their cook site), and they don't allow vendors to compete (from their vending site)
Seems like around the Midwest it's the opposite. In order to vend, you must be a competition team and turn in at least one entry in order to vend again the following year.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #14
SirPorkaLot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hughes View Post

This is what I see too. If there is vending opportunities, it is on a different part of the site.

Of course, I'm not talking about people's choice events, or samples.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:33 PM   #15
SirPorkaLot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Seems like around the Midwest it's the opposite. In order to vend, you must be a competition team and turn in at least one entry in order to vend again the following year.
Interesting.
We seem to get a mixed bag in the southeast, but for the most part, you rarely see a team that is competing, vending at the same event.