chicken - spatchcocked vs parts

B

bbq54321

in terms of finished product.

would like opinions on which is better - or if it matters

thx in advance

Both are good. Spatchcocked look more impressive, but both come out great if cooked properly.

Both are good. Spatchcocked look more impressive, but both come out great if cooked properly.

i guess i should have expanded a little more. im actually trying to figure why my last three cooks have yeilded opposite results in the wrong direction - so im wandering if its prts vs sptchck

I like spatchcocked (did a couple yesterday), or halves - unless you don't want to deal with cutting it up for serving

any opinions on spch-ck holding moisture better than parts

Since I tried my first spatchcocked chicken I don't cook them any other way. Did two this past weekend and they turned out great.

tnx guys, one other ?

how do you juggle the temp variance ? do you compromise?

i do breasts 165 - thighs 175

i guess i should have expanded a little more. im actually trying to figure why my last three cooks have yeilded opposite results in the wrong direction - so im wandering if its prts vs sptchck

What do you mean by "yielded opposite results in the wrong direction"? I guess I don't know what you are really asking.

As far as temp difference between the breast and thigh when cooking whole or spatchcocked, put a bag of ice on the breast for 15 - 20 minutes when the chicken is coming up to room temp before cooking. That way the breast will start out colder than the thigh and both will be done at about the same time.

What do you mean by "yielded opposite results in the wrong direction"? I guess I don't know what you are really asking.

As far as temp difference between the breast and thigh when cooking whole or spatchcocked, put a bag of ice on the breast for 15 - 20 minutes when the chicken is coming up to room temp before cooking. That way the breast will start out colder than the thigh and both will be done at about the same time.

lol sorry - multi tasking here.
yielded opposite results in the wrong direction --- i usually have great results, but the last three times have left my chicken dry

thanks for your ice tip

lol sorry - multi tasking here.
yielded opposite results in the wrong direction --- i usually have great results, but the last three times have left my chicken dry

Got it. Do you brine your chicken? Unless i am cooking last minute I always brine chicken before cooking. It helps add moisture and can add a lot of flavor.

Got it. Do you brine your chicken? Unless i am cooking last minute I always brine chicken before cooking. It helps add moisture and can add a lot of flavor.

thx Ron. no i havnt brined. i understand that its best not to brine if chicken has already been enhanced. in some cases aound here its up to 20%

I've never tried to brine, however, I always marinate my chicken over-night in Italion dressing. There's a high salt aspect to that. I also tend to spatchcock them as well. They seem to turn out great.:thumb:

thx Ron. no i havnt brined. i understand that its best not to brine if chicken has already been enhanced. in some cases aound here its up to 20%

That's true. You can't find non-enhanced chicken around you? the enhanced stuff should still be OK. Try pulling it when the breast is at 155 and the thigh at 165. That should help keep it moist.

Back