MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
SmokyBear
Found some matches.

Lightbulb Bar-Be-Que Concession Trailers

Hello,
I'm thinking of building a Bar-Be-Que Concession Trailer and wonder how many people here have them? How did you build them and what would be the one thing they would do over again if they were to start from the beginning again? Photo's inside and out would be great!
Thank you,
Smoky Bear
SmokyBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyBear View Post
Hello,
I'm thinking of building a Bar-Be-Que Concession Trailer and wonder how many people here have them? How did you build them and what would be the one thing they would do over again if they were to start from the beginning again? Photo's inside and out would be great!
Thank you,
Smoky Bear
Start with the HD first. They can give you the standards there, requirements, and rules around operation. That will determine what's best for you.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:49 AM   #3
SmokyBear
Found some matches.

[quote=C Rocke;1009672]Start with the HD first. They can give you the standards there, requirements, and rules around operation. That will determine what's best for you.[/quote]
Thanks C Rocke. Yeah I could do that and have it built to what they are asking and when I'm living at a different place I should exspect the local HD bring in their view points to me? really asking if any of the membersio have them.

Thanks,
Smoky Bear

Old 08-28-2009, 06:22 AM   #4
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

most things are pretty standard.
here's florida's state mobile food vendor's guidlines.
http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/fs/mobile_guide.pdf

Old 08-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #5
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues_n_cues View Post
most things are pretty standard.
here's florida's state mobile food vendor's guidlines.
http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/fs/mobile_guide.pdf
This appears to be for a unit that goes back to a commisary each night and Potentially Hazzordous Food is not prepped in the unit. I think there's another guide for the good stuff.

If you don't have the trailer yet, expect about 15K to get started. Commercial fridge is over $1k alone.

If I had to do it again I'd have a trailer where I could mount all 3 FE's plus a grill under a roof plus the 16 foot enclosed kitchen.

Here's a link to the Michigan application. It's not as strict as a number of States. http://www.accesskent.com/Health/Hea...PlanReview.pdf

Old 08-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #6
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyBear View Post
[quote=C Rocke;1009672]Start with the HD first. They can give you the standards there, requirements, and rules around operation. That will determine what's best for you.
Thanks C Rocke. Yeah I could do that and have it built to what they are asking and when I'm living at a different place I should exspect the local HD bring in their view points to me? really asking if any of the membersio have them.

Thanks,
Smoky Bear [/quote]

I had ours built AFTER talking to the HD. You could of course just build and then have to tear everything out when it doesn't pass inspection. But to each his own.

You can do a search on trailers here and get a wealth of information but it doesn't sound as though you want to do any leg work.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2009, 08:34 AM   #7
The Pigman
is One Chatty Farker

I am building on now in a step van 15ft by 7 ft kitchen...........Have a big bank account.
KCBS CBJ #30390

Lead for State of Ohio & Indiana for Operation BBQ Relief
Operation BBQ Relief Founding Member
Lang 84 Custom Longneck with warmer
Mobil Food Lic. With State of Ohio
The Pigman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2009, 02:38 PM   #8
SmokyBear
Found some matches.

Default it doesn't sound as though you want to do any leg work. WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo-B-Q'N View Post

Thanks,
Smoky Bear

I had ours built AFTER talking to the HD. You could of course just build and then have to tear everything out when it doesn't pass inspection. But to each his own.

You can do a search on trailers here and get a wealth of information but it doesn't sound as though you want to do any leg work.[/quote]
Roo-B-Q'N, Wow where did that come from? You wrote "it doesn't sound as though you want to do any leg work" thats wrong. I'm just asking if I build it while I live here in Florida and it is according to not only Florida's and my counties HD Spec'd and in six months I'm living in somewhere in the Southweast! My question does one State HD dictate a different setup from each another. Give me a break here, thats the reason I'm asking here before I even build it. I want to hear from other members where they put their tanks.... Front or Back? Did they make it out of wood siding or a cargo trailer. I have seen many different varieties on the Net and wanted to see what the people say here. Another thing, my writting here is a part of my LEG WORK!
Smoky Bear

Old 08-28-2009, 03:07 PM   #9
stillsmokintn
Knows what a fatty is.

more counter space,bigger genset,and a awning these are the things in line on my stepvan and maybe some fancy flashin lights the go to the beat of musicand about a 20,000 pound winch for when i go into the woods i know im going to get stuck sooner or later....

Old 08-28-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

There are alot of pics of my rig in the roadside vending thread. I didn't build my I had it built but once you start working in you begin to see what you should have done differently. Go check out some at local fairs and see how they are set up and how they work while they are busy.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #11
SmokyBear
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillsmokintn View Post
more counter space,bigger genset,and a awning these are the things in line on my stepvan and maybe some fancy flashin lights the go to the beat of musicand about a 20,000 pound winch for when i go into the woods i know im going to get stuck sooner or later....
Sounds like a plan to me. I'm thinking of making mine look like an Old West Store Front for the customers to pickup there foof along with a side window. With the tank on the backside in a sreen in area so the smoke can bring them to me. Lights would be nice too.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
SmokyBear
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinit View Post
There are alot of pics of my rig in the roadside vending thread. I didn't build my I had it built but once you start working in you begin to see what you should have done differently. Go check out some at local fairs and see how they are set up and how they work while they are busy.
Yeah Smokinit, I can do that plus there are some who sell Ribs and Chicken at many different places around here. I can ask them how they built it and what they would do all over if they had the chance. Plus let us not forget to ask tham about their dealings working with the HD.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I built mine from a gutted camper. Not many creature comforts, but it's paid for. When I save enough, I will hope to pay for a nicer one with ca$h.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2009, 05:52 PM   #14
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Go to your local HD and get an application for a plan review FIRST!

I built this myself...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trailer 014.jpg (54.1 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg Trailer 006.jpg (55.5 KB, 212 views)
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-28-2009, 06:23 PM   #15
Jethro
Knows what a fatty is.

Thats a really nice trailer you built there. What do you cook your meats on?

Last edited by Jethro; 08-28-2009 at 06:45 PM..
Jethro is offline   Reply With Quote