New build help

TJR89

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have plans to build twin vertical smokers to mount on a cooking trailer I'm building. My plans are to build a reverse flow vertical similar to a backwoods. My question is do you guys think i need to insulate it? I don't feel like i really need it but I've also never had a vertical smoker. All help would be greatly appreciated.

If you want to run on Charcoal - long hours set it n forget it -you need to insulate it- Mineral Wool sheets are not expen$ive......

I'm actually more interested in burning sticks in it than charcoal, so that helps. Build pictures coming soon!

I have built a backwoods clone out of a full size commerical food warmer. It was big. I could never burn logs it would just to hot. And when u cut the air off u get that bad smoldering smoke. I had to use lump to keep the heat down. In a reverse flow vertical the air moves very slowly because hot air rises. I think you will have a hard time burning logs. Even if u don't insulate I don't think the heat loss would alow u to burn logs.

I have built a backwoods clone out of a full size commerical food warmer. It was big. I could never burn logs it would just to hot. And when u cut the air off u get that bad smoldering smoke. I had to use lump to keep the heat down. In a reverse flow vertical the air moves very slowly because hot air rises. I think you will have a hard time burning logs. Even if u don't insulate I don't think the heat loss would alow u to burn logs.

So do you think it will hold enough heat without using a ton of fuel if i don't insulate?

The only thing I'm pretty firm on is wanting to build a vertical. Conventional, reverse flow, insulated, uninsulated, stick burner, charcoal, i can be swung in all directions at this point. I'm just looking to come up with the best design to get the most consistent temperatures top to bottom and use a reasonable amount of fuel. Dont have to be set it and forget it, but can't be a log every fifteen minutes either.

a split every hour.........in any of them. I can load up basket with charcoal and go about 4-4.5 hrs then start feeding splits - one per hour........for rest of cook.

I've read through the smokehouse thread but can't remember. How consistent are your temps top to bottom on that thing?

If i build a conventional, Ithink I'll model it similar to the one dwfisk built awhile back that i found with the search tab. And tweak it with a few designs I've seen on other verticals

The peaked roof, not the domed. Aesthetically the dome just doesn't work for me lol

That's the one. I'll add a drip diverter similar to the smokehouse though.

I like the boathouse too, but i have the skills and desire to make this new cooker myself.

Back