Burgers

Smokingking

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I am doing burgers now on my mes 40 , the internal meat temp. is 156 and doing it at 225-250 , I understood to leave them until 165 , any help would be helpful , I just got this for Christmas and this is my third try.

Can't say I have ever bothered with the IT of burgers. I cook till the juices run clear. Are you reverse searing them? Good luck.

I am doing burgers now on my mes 40 , the internal meat temp. is 156 and doing it at 225-250 , I understood to leave them until 165 , any help would be helpful , I just got this for Christmas and this is my third try.

Yeah you should have eaten them at 140 degrees. Are they some frozen suspect burgers?

BTW, save the low and slow for the tough cuts like brisket and pork shoulder. You want as close to thermo nuclear as possible for your burgers, cooked quickly. Forget this reverse sear whatever, cook quick, keep the juices! Here is a video I just did on burgers:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc7jQVKe-u4"]How to Grill a Hamburger - YouTube[/ame]

enjoy your well done burgers!!! :biggrin1:

oh, i reversed seared some thick burgers i made with meat i ground myself the other day and they were awesome!! i think it gives the meat time to take on some smoke flavor. definitely not necessary though.

I pulled them at 165 but they were still pink and not done so I put them back in and upped the temp. to 275 and in 1 hour the internal meat temp. was at 180 so I pulled them again and they were well done and had the smoke taste and was not tough at all , 225-235 smoker temp. must be too low on an electric smoker. Appreciate everyones output and help in this and will test and try this toy until I become a pro at it lol

According to Meathead at AmazingRibs, ground beef is supposed to hit 160 for about 5 to 10 seconds to kill any e-coli that may be present. It will die at lower temps but takes more time. If you go reverse sear, cook indirect until you can get the internal burger temp at 145 or higher for 4 minutes, then sear to your crust liking.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/food_safety.html#ecoli

Burger info is about half way down that page.

If I ground the meat myself, I cook it to 125. If I bought ground meat, I cook it to 160.

Not everyone eats burgers that are pink. I am one that perfers a completely cooked burger. I do agree with Bigabyte that if you grind the meat yourself, then you can cook to an internal temp of 125-140. IMO, store bought ground meat has to be cooked to 160-165.
I have smoked burgers before at 250 until an internal temp of 165. They were a great color, juicy and flavorful.

Back