Taste of Grand Rapids BBQ - July 14-15

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Awhile back, this contest topic came up and a couple of you mentioned you'd also be there. Woody? Curt? Can't recall. Anyway, who else is planning on cooking it? We'll be arriving close to the noon time sign in (weird they don't let you before then!).

Sorry.. I haven't been on this week. I'll be there, with, hopefully, our new smoker... Tony Hunter is joining us, too.

We're showing up the night before, and will be there at noon... I thought that was odd, too, but I hear no electricity and no running water.

Yeah, primitive camp mod! Oh well... we can survive one day I guess. We've got an power inverter and I'm buying a new deep cycle marine battery for power for a strand of rope lights, our electric knife and the radio. We'll be spending the night an hour and a half away at the in-laws on Thursday night. Look forward to meeting ya! Neil is planning to drive up from St. Joseph in Friday so we'll have a small MichiBash for a few hours!

Curt, we'll try to look you up when we get there and see if there's a space close by your's if you beat us in! We plan on being there close to 11am to wait in line if need be. We also have another team we know, VooDoo BBQ Illinois who was our neighbor at the Royal last year, that is going to be there and want to hook us near us if possible.

We're getting a generator for the event, I think. I'll watch for you Friday morning, and ask to get nearby. We got some of those neck thingies to stay cool... I hope it's bearable and not raining!

cmcadams said:
We're getting a generator for the event, I think. I'll watch for you Friday morning, and ask to get nearby. We got some of those neck thingies to stay cool... I hope it's bearable and not raining!

Hope you saw the rules page... they only allow "quiet generators" and they claim they don't tolerate any noise from them. I THINK it was under the "Grounds for Disqualification" section but I don't recall. Just wanted to be sure you were aware of that before you brought just any generator and had nothing else if they crack down. They seem pretty tough: no alcohol, quiet generators, only radio stations played on the sponsoring stations' frequencies (BS!)... etc.

I think my teammate is checking on the type of generator... If we don't have it, we're not out anything. I think the radio station thing is ridiculous... We pay money to get in... the radio stations don't pay it for me.

This cook is in a big park. Last year they had us on a softball field . The lights were on all night so power wasn't really an issue. They have a big food festival with local restaraunts selling wares. I can't make it because of a catering gig this time, but it was a great time last year! 61 teams! Good luck guys! Woody

Jeff, I have a 400 watt inverter and a 12 volt power pack if you need it. It will run lights for 2-3 days, TV and a radio. If you need them let me know.

Smoke Eaters bbq team will be their.....I drive a cab and 1/2 red over silver Ford p/u pulling a tandem axle 30"x8' Klose Mobile Pit w/upright. I would welcome any brethern folks to be next to us...Gate opens at noon Friday. I have a little 1000 watt generator....runs 1 fan and 1 little florescent lite.. Interesting how the 2nd man in charge has a big/noisy generator. He gets to park a bit away from the rest of us...... Love to see ya all. Dont forget your fire extinguishers.....a requirement.
Mike

I'm glad they limit generators to quiet ones. I just got home from visiting Wayne and Andy at the Warrensburg contest and damn! Generator noise is everywhere!

Mike, look us up! You can't miss the logo and the Spicewine cooker! Plus we're one of only two Missouri teams in it.

Doorbusters, if you can get that thing to Jeff, and don't mind me using it if he doesn't need it, there's one thing I realized I MUST have power for... My CPAP machine, if I'm going to get any sleep at all! I don't have a battery set up for it, and I can't really sleep without it.

A good note.. our new smoker, rough, but workable, is on it's way to my house to fire up. We're going to do the old biscuit test on it and do some ribs and chicken today, then keep it cooking all week. It won't be painted, but it looks like it will be going to Grand Rapids!

cmcadams said:
Doorbusters, if you can get that thing to Jeff, and don't mind me using it if he doesn't need it, there's one thing I realized I MUST have power for... My CPAP machine, if I'm going to get any sleep at all! I don't have a battery set up for it, and I can't really sleep without it.

A good note.. our new smoker, rough, but workable, is on it's way to my house to fire up. We're going to do the old biscuit test on it and do some ribs and chicken today, then keep it cooking all week. It won't be painted, but it looks like it will be going to Grand Rapids!

How much current does that take, Curt? If we're close by, we can run a cord over to you...

How much power does a CPAP take, Curt? Be sure to bring a good extension cord and if we're close by, you can tap it. We'll run lights over night and probably the radio on low (not on THEIR farkin' stations!) and I'm hoping to have a deep cycle marine battery as a back up.

I'm driving over Thursday evening, signed up for the bbq class at "Hermans Boy". Plan on driving home after but could drive back Friday afternoon and look you all up.

Scott

For those of you coming to Grand Rapids, saw the weather report this morning, supposed to be hot and sunny Fri and Sat. 90 degrees plus.

Scott

Back