MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:37 AM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Default Bionic Bandera

"We can Rebuild it."

i adopted Rbsnwngs Bandera last week to leave at the place for our Boy Scout me Meetings. Once or twice a month, I'll be cooking for the troop at the regular troop meetings and at all special event meetings, so it shoul dbe at least biweekly. Anyway, The poor Bandera has been left alone for a year or so and needs some TLC..

Lid is warped so it dont close well, and it is modless, needed a baffle and firegrate.

Its at my cousins, who is an ironworker.. i went yesterday(he had it one day), and he allready made a new top for it. I called smoker and got dimensions of our baffle and mikes welding one on that will wrap a litlle bit around the waterpan. Also adding a few more shelves.

all seams are being recinforced and heavy plate is being welded inside the fire and smokeboxes.

Then, the frame is being modded/reinforced and hes welding a reciever on it that will go directly into a trailer hitch. That way, The Boy Scout Bandera can be lifted directly onto the back of one of the trucks when we go camping.

more to come!!

These are the first set of photos, I'll post more as it progresses.

Check out the new lid made of 3/8 inch plate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA081007.JPG (150.8 KB, 957 views)
File Type: jpg PA081006.JPG (150.0 KB, 930 views)
File Type: jpg PA081008.JPG (148.2 KB, 928 views)
File Type: jpg PA081005.JPG (140.9 KB, 967 views)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2006, 10:52 AM   #2
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks like an awesome project to me. I especially like that new firebox lid. I never liked the tall default one.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

That's just about exactly the firebox lid that I want for my Bandera. Takes out most of the wasted space. Nice

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2006, 01:20 PM   #4
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm joining Phil's troop as honorary Pit Bitch.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #5
Jorge

Phil? How close will the pit be to the tailgate?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #6
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge
Phil? How close will the pit be to the tailgate?
Good question considering his mega-$$ "truck" has a plastic tailgate!!

Not that there's anything WRONG with that!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2006, 02:23 PM   #7
jt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
Good question considering his mega-$$ "truck" has a plastic tailgate!!

Not that there's anything WRONG with that!
Tonka mod

Spicewine, 2 Dutch Ovens, Weber OTP, 18 " Weber Kettle, White Mountain Ice Cream Freezer, Whirly Pop, Cast Iron Hot Dog cooker, and a 15 year old. Moink.

RIP - my NB Bandera

"Sweet Blue to all" - E

jt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #8
BBQchef33

The hitch thing is actually more for the wrangler im thinking. its designed as an "H", welded to all 4 legs, with the crossbeam being offset closer to the firebox. The crossbeam will be a 2.5" channel with a smaller channel that slides in or out so it can have some adjustment for clearance into a hitch. That will account for spare tire carries or larget bumpers.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 10-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
The hitch thing is actually more for the wrangler im thinking. its designed as an "H", welded to all 4 legs, with the crossbeam being offset closer to the firebox. The crossbeam will be a 2.5" channel with a smaller channel that slides in or out so it can have some adjustment for clearance into a hitch. That will account for spare tire carries or larget bumpers.
So, what size tires you putting on it? I can just see it throwing sparks as it's pulled down the freeway on it's side!!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2006, 04:15 PM   #10
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad
So, what size tires you putting on it? I can just see it throwing sparks as it's pulled down the freeway on it's side!!
From the condition of his paws, it looks like he kept up for a couple of miles.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:54 PM   #11
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
From the condition of his paws, it looks like he kept up for a couple of miles.
REAL tomatoe ketchup, Ed?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2006, 05:16 PM   #12
jpw23
Babbling Farker

Good lookin' welds!!! That guy is a craftsman!!!!

---------------------------------------------------
Chargriller Pro with mods
El Cheapo Brinkman
Some name I can't remember Gasser
Oil Less Turkey fryer
jpw23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2006, 10:04 AM   #13
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

So how'd she do this weekend during the cookout for the Scouts? I'm curious to see if that new lid made a difference.

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-16-2006, 11:04 AM   #14
BBQchef33

the cookout was great.. and all i can say is, the magic is IN THE FIREBOX!

We finished the top and added a 1/4 or 3/8 inch steel baffle to it and a new firegrate. Also sealed up those annoyin seams/cracks in the top of the firebox and added some reinforcing steel angle to the bottom.

I seasoned it thursday and incinerated some sausages while doing so.

dumped a full chimney of kingsford in it and added a log of oak. Waited for temps to start climbing, and past experience said that that fuel load should bring be to about 250... i left everything fullopen down and went inside. Checked an hour later and the beast was still locked at 350+ and the sausages were incinerated to porklump. The log was still intact and coalbed was about half gone. I dampered down and it ran for nearly another 2 hours on that fuel load with temps dropping down to 225. Being it was just seasoning some new racks, the baffle and some spots where i wire brushed the crud off it, i felt 3 hours was plenty and let if die down. i shut top and bottom dampers and the next day, the log was still there as a big chunk of lump charcoal. Showed that the top sealed good enuf to snuf out the fire. The first cook for the boyscouts I'll give details in a seperate thread, but i used only one chimney of kingsford, about a chimney or 2 of lump to keep a coalbed going and only half the wood that i anticipated and brought with me.

The litttle beast is going back to he welding shop for more work. The cousin wants to rebuild the entire firebox with 3/8 inch steel. and we may get to welding on the reciever to be place into a hitch. Which BTW.. is for TRANSPORT ONLY.. Seems a few guys thought i was going to be cooking with the bandera on the hitch.. Plan is, to be able to hitch it to the wrangler, bring it to the campsite and take ot OFF the hitch to cook!.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA131022.jpg (42.0 KB, 792 views)
File Type: jpg PA131024.JPG (142.7 KB, 790 views)
File Type: jpg PA131025.JPG (143.2 KB, 791 views)
File Type: jpg PA131026.JPG (152.1 KB, 804 views)
File Type: jpg PA131027.JPG (139.6 KB, 780 views)
File Type: jpg PA131028.JPG (141.9 KB, 776 views)
File Type: jpg PA131029.JPG (153.4 KB, 771 views)
File Type: jpg PA131030.JPG (161.0 KB, 767 views)
File Type: jpg PA131031.JPG (153.3 KB, 973 views)
File Type: jpg PA141044.JPG (152.6 KB, 763 views)

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 10-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #15
rbinms33
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the update, Phil. Seems cutting out that excess space in the top definately helps. You mentioned a baffle.....did you add a baffle to the inside of the top or replace the baffle in the cook chamber? And a 3/8" firebox to boot......just make sure you have plenty of help getting it on and off that hitch!

Perfect Smoke BBQ Team
Pork Me Baby BBQ Team
Coldwater, MS (just south of Memphis)

KCBS CBJ #7595
NB Bandera Mod E
Custom Drum Smoker
18" Weber Smoky Mountain
Weber Kettle One Touch Silver
rbinms33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bandera, bandera upgrades