So what did the weber lid measure. Did they consider it a 22 or 22 1/2 ?

I think you just have to sort-of wing-it a little bit on the lid situation. I have an old Weber lid and had to bend it out around the rim with pliers to make it fit right...took a few tries. I think from what I've seen, read here drums are like women...all a bit funky in their own way so you can either bend them a bit and do some cooking or get frustrated...and that's not good.
No absolutes with the UDS...seems to me from reading this that they all have their own personality and you just have find what yours is and use your imagination from there.

22...22 1/2 whatever it takes!

See the thing is I will have to do a lot of looking to find one lid so just trying to get a feel on what grill to look for? I am thinking the uniflame walmart one jarrykr tells me they are about 22 5/8 where my barrel is right at that mark. But thats new want to pick something up used if I could (cheaper)

Got the drum? Throw it in the back of your truck, pull up to walmart and ask to try lid. Then you will know.

hav said: "You can make it fit, I used pliers to straighten the curve of the Weber Lid. Then I placed it over the Rolled top of the UDS and used a rubber mallet to fit it around. My Weber lid will fit alone on the UDS and seals pretty good, but I feel better using the Drum Clamp with a quick grip c-clamp to get a perfect seal while I am smoking."

Or you could just cut off the rolled lip of the drum

Ive been thinking (and drinking) about a UDS for nearly 6 months at da bar.
In Auz we call them 44 gallon drums or 44s, they seem to be a bit smaller then the ones I see you guys using.
225 F is 107 Celcius, most meat thermometers here are marked in both farenheight and celsius so no probs with converting,
cant wait to do some cooking, Kangaroo ribs? kangaroo roast? :lol:

Cheers Steve.

I got two 38" tall drums from a guy that imports Bee Pollen and Echinacea from Australia.

I found my walmart Uniflame clone on craigs list for $20, but I was very lucky.

If you can find a kettle used, that's the way to go because you get a lid and a 22.5 grill, plus other parts that might be useful.

New 22.5 grill $12-$16.
New Kettle lid $?? + shipping.
Handles top vents, and other parts $$??

Even new, the walmart kettle starts looking pretty cost effective at $40.

The hinges are a real plus, but it takes some modding to make them work, trial and error on your part. Also, that little wire basket that I hung on the front of the barrel is turning out to be very useful, way more than I imagined.

I'm certainly not trying to sell kettles for walmart by any means.

Jerry
www.uglydrumsmoker.blogspot.com

I most likely will go the wally world one since I can get it when I want. See it's hard to find things in this town you all use because it isn't a very big town. Nearest craigs list areas is 45min to 1 1/2 away not worth the gas when I can buy a wally world one.

I found this stainless steel drum for sale on craigslist for $165, Can it be used? It's acually here in the neighborhood.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mat/903512948.html

11b1231403k03m73l58b258057021ff2c10a2.jpg

Hey Fordman if you can weld or get it done the just get a donor drum and make your own lid. I have done two so far. Want more info PM me.

Attachments

• DSC03057.jpg
    DSC03057.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,618
I tried something like that cut the lip off a open top lid and got the barrel piece on it and welded it to it and warped the whole thing. Junked it so now just wanting a dome lid will most likely buy a wally one.

First UDS heat regulation challenge

I just fired up my UDS for the first time, its got 3 x 3/4 holes spaced evenly around the base of the drum 2 inches up from the base, Ive
loaded it up with 10lbs of briquets, (called heat beads over here) Ive also put 3 x 3 inch pieces of peach tree wood in.

The problem is even with all 3 air holes closed completely with magnets its still running at 265 F, it was hotter and has cooled slightly over the last 45 minutes, I do have alot of smoke coming out from around the weber lid and think that this may be the problem either that or the fact that I got it too hot in the first place.

Im not really planing to cook anything on it today (Though I do have some MOINK balls in the fridge just in case :-D) my main reason for firing it up today was as a test run.

any advice from you more "seasoned" UDS guys sure would be welcome.

Cheers Steve.

Ok its settled out at 250ish F and holding after 3 hours, the only way I can keep this
temp is to keep all vents top and bottom closed, there must be a serious air leak around the lid, on a good note though I have a small batch of MOINK balls cooking and hope they will turn out ok.

Check out my balls :icon_devil

and heres the UDS

How did you start it?

I took the fire basket out and used a blow torch in 3 places for about 1 minute each then left it for 10 minutes, it didnt feel like it was throwing out that much heat but when I put the fire basket in the UDS and put the thermometer in it stayed on 270F for some time.

I noticed that every time I take the lid off the temp spikes dramtically and this is with all venys closed, perhaps the slightly smaller Aussie drums (44 gallon) has something to do with it :?:

I usually only get 5-6 coals going, 2 vents open when temp climbs i cap one and use valve to throttle. Most cooks with large load I have 1 cap off and maybe 1/4 valve open. Air leaks are bad, removing the lid to look is worse. Close it up, open a beer and adjust only 1/2 hour. After temp settles in leave alone. Temp might drop after 4-6 hours. if it does shake/kick drum to knock ash loose and wait before adjustments.

You may be replacing those magnets so.I used them on my mini UDS and melted them.

Well, I finally make it through.I read EVERY posting from beginning to the end 124 pages ! Thanks guys, I am ready !
Raz

Well, I finally make it through.I read EVERY posting from beginning to the end 124 pages ! Thanks guys, I am ready !
Raz

Quite a bit of information, hopefully you made some 'mental' notes of how you want your build to go.

Good luck and don't forget the pics!

Back