MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 03-18-2004, 09:14 PM   #1
shock
On the road to being a farker

Default Jim 'n Nicks

Birmingham, AL in the 5 Points area of town... Great ambiance in a fun part of town.

Pretty good. I had the platter with pulled pork and brisket. I licked the brisket side clean. Great tasting chunks of meat there... The pork was okay - it doesn't beat homegrown....

I went into their kitchen and had a look around. No one was at the back door so I just went in. They have a large brick oven with a bottom loading fire pit. The smoke grate is a single level and approximately 5' wide by 4' deep. There is no door on the pit, so obviously there is a fan keeping the smoke contained.

Someone finally asked if they could help me while I was back in the kitchen - I told them I just wanted to look around!! They said they only use hickory. Smelled like it - the smell was beautiful!!! Pavlovian reaction when I walked in the door!!!

I got to taste the ribs. They put their sauce on everything, so if you want 'em dry - make sure you ask.... Pretty good. About a 7 outta 10.

I happend to try a new beer. Sweetwater 420. Wow. What a great tasting nectar. I drank 6 of them. It is an Atlanta brewing company.

Here are the details:
Jim 'n Nicks: http://www.birminghammenus.com/jimnnicks/
Sweetwater: http://www.sweetwaterbrew.com/420page.htm

Deja Brew - We have all been Beer before...
shock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2004, 09:18 PM   #2
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice report bro. Glad ya got some decent q away from home

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:22 PM   #3
shock

Well I wanted to bring you some ribs Parrothead, but, well, they were desert :)

Old 03-18-2004, 10:12 PM   #4
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Re: Jim 'n Nicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by shock
I happend to try a new beer. Sweetwater 420. Wow. What a great tasting nectar. I drank 6 of them. It is an Atlanta brewing company.

Here are the details:
Jim 'n Nicks: http://www.birminghammenus.com/jimnnicks/
Sweetwater: http://www.sweetwaterbrew.com/420page.htm
Yeppers, Sweetwater is well known here in atlanta, at least by the crowd that knows beer. Their ESB (extra special bitter) and IPA (India Pale Ale) beers are even better. They always do well in national tasting competitions also.

They are finally about to pass a law in Georiga where we can sell higher alcohol beer. Right now, it's illegal to sell beer with higher alcohol, yet it's legal to purchase 196% grain alcohol...go figure. Once that passes, our local breweries can really start kicking out some kick-ass beers.

You going to head over to Dreamland in Tuscaloosa? It's only about 30-45 minutes from Birmingham.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 05:37 AM   #5
shock

Default Re: Jim 'n Nicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko
You going to head over to Dreamland in Tuscaloosa? It's only about 30-45 minutes from Birmingham.

No I don't have time... This is the blitzkrieg trip...