MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil
Default Todays PBC experiences

ok, so I had a light meeting day today for once which gave me some trime to load the PBC up in early afternoon. I totally forgot it was friday and took some ribs out of the freezer... we had a big tritip bought for the weekend, and 4 racks of St louis. so aside form probably going to hell for eating meat today, heres the log book.

I tried a few different things this time around.. thats what this post is about.. and no, no pics, we all know what ribs and tritips look like.

1- past cooks, I lit the top of the basket with a torch and waited 20 minutes. Last 2 cooks ran a little hot, and i had to get temps down by blocking the vent for a little bit. it was my fault because i let the inital light run away, waiting over 20 minutes and too many coals got way to happy.

This time around, i loaded the basket full. Removed 15 briquettes, layed them on a the grate to the egg(chimney was in the shed, on the other side of the yard, with 2 feet of snow between us). I lit the 15 briquettes with the torch and waited till the were almost completely gray, then placed them on top of the PBC basket. I waited 10 minutes and closed the lid. In about 3 minutes the probe registered 246. i cracked the lid until the temps reached 280 and set it back. I will say, do NOT walk away. Temps climed VERY quickly. I found doing it this way, temps did not run away and I locked in where I wanted it.

I had the drum on top of a grill pad on my decl. its sits about 3-4 inches off the ground on its own ring. This was my 5 or 6th cook on it. When I moved the pad, the center, where the drum has been cooking, has disintegrated. The heat from the bottom is too much for just a grillpad. All the patio blocks are buried in the back under the snow, so i discovered that the plate setter for a XL-BGE is a perfect size. The support ring fits perfectly on it and the drum sits on top.

I added the tritip and 4 racks hanging. Meatier end downward.
Tri tip was 130 in just under an hour. That was to be lunch for my son and a friend when he got home from school.. removed at 130-135, let rest foiled for 20. it was Excellent..but its missing a char, which i would like on a steak. My son complimented me with a new one.. His friend was in "holy chit mode" never having BBQ, just stuff from a grill...my son, while explaining to him what BBQ is... he said "dad., you just made beef so tender it can pass for soup. "

The ribs came out good, bottom ones slightly more done than the rest, but we are talking maybe the bottom 2. They cooked surprisingly even. cooked for 4-5 hours, no foil ever, and didnt sauce them. They came out sweating, great color and a nice bark that i did not want to ruin with foil or sauce. So they got eaten with sauce on the side and never foiled.. very different product than one thats been foiled and glazed. I put the hook under the 3rd rib, so they held in place very well. Pulled them off with the bend test and let them rest.

I added some dry jack daniels chips to one side of the coals.. worked well, offered smoke for about 30 minutes, then I put a 2-3 inch piece of a smoke stick, and that worked well for the duration of the cook, and kept going.

i watched the temps after everthing was out and did not shut the pit down. It maintained 280 for nearly 7 hours total. When it started to die out, i shook the drum a little and it came back up, and ran at about 265 for another hour +30 before temps started dropping again. All in all I got about 9 hours of cook temps.

PBC continues to impress. its got its place among all the other cookers in my sig.. The biggest advantage is I wanted to cook today. The offsets are buried in the snow, the FE is in the trailer and the drum was easy to get out, easy to light, and took no fiddling... defiantly happy with it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

yayyyy!!!! Finally someone else that said screw the directions!!!

I've been lighting my PBC like that from the start and have always had that 275-325 cook range. Glad the method can be replicated and has been verified by someone else!

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2013, 12:41 AM   #3
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

What charcoal?

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 02:27 AM   #4
silverfinger
Babbling Farker

79 degrees here tonight!!!
Cooked tri tip real slowly.
Came out perfect.
Two racks of bb backs already rubbed and ready for tomorrow's cook. Dam,
I love this place!!! Your cook sounded like it was awesome!!! Thanks for making this forum happen!!!

Smoking up the "Fattened Fat Of The Cow".
Got a stick-burner! :mrgreen:
UDS In Progress: Thank's Q-Junky! :thumb:
Blackstone griddle.
50 year Old Imperial Kamado with ears.
Fire pit. Weber Kettle.
silverfinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post

The ribs came out good, bottom ones slightly more done than the rest, but we are talking maybe the bottom 2.
I was just about to start a thread asking for fellow PBC for advice. I've had the same result with the bottom 4 or so ribs on mine and they're unedible. Cook 3 racks and I'd waste 12 ribs.

I'm sure that there's a way to prevent this keeping the bottom ribs futher away from the fire and i want to use my pbc more and more for ribs. I'm gonna start up that thread and see what others have done.

Tri tip sounds like it was a big success.
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
my son, while explaining to him what BBQ is... he said "dad., you just made beef so tender it can pass for soup. "
That's a great line!

Was that grill pad one of those hard ones with the rough surface from Home Depot or Lowes? I destroyed one of those by putting it under a fire pit trying to save the grass at a competition. There was a 24" hole right through it.

The ribs and tri-tip sound great!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #7
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Very nice Phil Great compliment on the tri tip
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 AM   #8
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post
I was just about to start a thread asking for fellow PBC for advice. I've had the same result with the bottom 4 or so ribs on mine and they're unedible. Cook 3 racks and I'd waste 12 ribs.

I'm sure that there's a way to prevent this keeping the bottom ribs futher away from the fire and i want to use my pbc more and more for ribs.
I just split my ribs in half.
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #9
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hook_Line_and_Sinker View Post
What charcoal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy j View Post

I'm sure that there's a way to prevent this keeping the bottom ribs futher away from the fire and i want to use my pbc more and more for ribs. I'm gonna start up that thread and see what others have done.

Tri tip sounds like it was a big success.
next time I'm going to try to get the hook thru the center ribs or hook it thru both ends so they hang in a U shape.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
That's a great line!

Was that grill pad one of those hard ones with the rough surface from Home Depot or Lowes? I destroyed one of those by putting it under a fire pit trying to save the grass at a competition. There was a 24" hole right through it.

The ribs and tri-tip sound great!
yup. That's the one. Center crumbled like dust.

oh and charcoal type was kingsford.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 02-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #10
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Phil, would it be safe to set it on a concrete surface do you think?

On edit, or any of you other guys that have one. I just know Phil knows stress tolerances.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Last edited by deguerre; 02-16-2013 at 10:47 AM..
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 11:47 AM   #11
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
yup. That's the one. Center crumbled like dust.
I wonder if the soft black splatter mats perform any different.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
BBQchef33

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Phil, would it be safe to set it on a concrete surface do you think?

On edit, or any of you other guys that have one. I just know Phil knows stress tolerances.
Here's my take on this. When I first got the spice wine I was cooking in front of the house, and I with a chimney on the sidewalk. I left it there for 5 or 10 minutes to get hot, it was a full chimney. While inside the trailer prepping the meat I heard a loud explosion and looked up just in time to see the chimney launch off the sidewalk and all the coals inside it fly all over the street and lawn. There was a divit on the sidewalk the width of the chimney and about an inch deep. It seems the heat coming out of the bottom of the chimney cause this concrete to react. Now granted that I doubt the bottom of a PBC or UDS gets as hot as the bottom of a chimney but I don't know for sure where the line is that would cause the concrete to react like that. Im pretty sure that the entire escapade is documented here in the forum and someone, I believe it was Mark came up with a reasonable explanation. With that being said I think I'm going to get a pizza stone or something along those lines to put under the PBC. For the most part it will be left in my pit area which has a pea stone base which would be ok, but right now until the snow melts its right outside my door on the deck. The Green Egg plate setter worked perfectly but I prefer to have that inside the egg instead of sitting on the floor on the deck. A pizza stone is a cheap alternative.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

News Flash:

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM

Old 02-16-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
SchatzSea
On the road to being a farker

^^ That made me laugh out loud. Glad I'm not the only one something like that has happened to. Last summer I had a chimney sitting on a rock at the lake, scared the hell out of me when that rock exploded!!

Sent from my Incredible (2) Droid

The Qrew -- Smokin’ Hot Wife, Two Smokin’ Little Monkeys, and Two Hot Digity Dogs

"Hello. My name is Inigo Pork-toya. You grilled my father. Prepare to fry."

Old 02-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #14
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Doesn't the PBC come with a stand to keep it off the concrete, or am I missing something?
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #15
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Doesn't the PBC come with a stand to keep it off the concrete, or am I missing something?

It does, but the separation isn't that great. Maybe 3"?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->