MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
gayler
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Thinking of smoking a ham for Easter

I could use some tips and pointers. I have never done a ham. How do I season it? Cook times and temp? What wood is best? How long will it take to defrost n the fridge. This chunk of pig is about ten pounds, I'll be cooking it on my pellet grill. Thanks guys!
gayler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

If it's already cured then just give it some hickory @ 250F until it's warmed up if it's precooked. A week in the fridge should get it thawed. I wouldn't season it my self. Cheers!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #3
gayler

Thanks! I have a friend that runs a butcher shop and every year a Christmas time he gives me a turkey. This last Christmas he gave me a ham. I ask for one that wasn't cooked because I'd like to try smoking it myself. I'm guessing this is uncured, but the package has no label and hes not around to ask

Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayler View Post
Thanks! I have a friend that runs a butcher shop and every year a Christmas time he gives me a turkey. This last Christmas he gave me a ham. I ask for one that wasn't cooked because I'd like to try smoking it myself. I'm guessing this is uncured, but the package has no label and hes not around to ask
The cut you got then is called fresh ham, but since it isn't cured, is just raw pork. Smoking it will produce smoked pork, not ham.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-24-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Okay, if it's not cooked then I'd smoke it @ 225F - 250F until 150F internal, measured way deep inside. Wrap in foil & a towel & into the cooler for an hour or so. Then either serve sliced or chill. YMMV... Cheers!!!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:20 PM   #6
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

You could cure it but it won't be ready for Easter.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #7
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

It needs to be cured in order to be ham. Like Hesmellslikesmoke said it's just nother cut of raw pork

Old 03-24-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
gayler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
The cut you got then is called fresh ham, but since it isn't cured, is just raw pork. Smoking it will produce smoked pork, not ham.
So if it's not cooked will it be more like what you would use for pulled pork? I hate to sound dumb, but how would I tell if it's cured? By the smell or appearance? I guess it's hard not to sound dumb when you are!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
So if it's not cooked will it be more like what you would use for pulled pork? I hate to sound dumb, but how would I tell if it's cured? By the smell or appearance? I guess it's hard not to sound dumb when you are!
A cured ham will look like ham usually looks, pinkish red and will be somewhat firm to the touch. It will also smell like ham. Uncured will look and smell like raw pork.

Why not just call him to confirm what you have? If it is indeed fresh, raw pork, then cure it for smoking after Easter. Find a cured ham to smoke for Easter.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 PM   #10
gayler

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
A cured ham will look like ham usually looks, pinkish red and will be somewhat firm to the touch. It will also smell like ham. Uncured will look and smell like raw pork.

Why not just call him to confirm what you have? If it is indeed fresh, raw pork, then cure it for smoking after Easter. Find a cured ham to smoke for Easter.
Ok, I got it part way thawed and it looks like it is cured. My next question is I only have Mesquete pellets. Am I total screwed, or will this tast Ok?

Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
HeSmellsLikeSmoke

Quote:
Ok, I got it part way thawed and it looks like it is cured. My next question is I only have Mesquete pellets. Am I total screwed, or will this tast Ok?
Are you using a pellet smoker or just using pellets for smoke? Mesquite sure wouldn't be my choice for ham.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
cheapbeer
Full Fledged Farker

I dont know about your pellets but I do know that if you put a pan of bushes baked beans underneith with brown sugar, bbq sauce, maple syrup, peppers,onions or whatever it is that you like in beans, let the ham juice drip in, and once in a while cut off a few ham chunks and stir it in you will have an easy side dish that folks will love.............

Old 03-26-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

I usually cook mine between 190-200 until the internal temp is 145-150. I would use apple, cherry, or a mixture of the two. If you have a Menards or Bass Pro anywhere near you, they have wood chips you can buy that you could use on your grill instead of the pellets.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
Wampus

So, it looks like you have a cured ham. It may or may not be completely cooked. Either way, you'll want to bring it to 155 or a little higher if not already completely cooked.

Until I cured my own ham, THIS was my go to recipe for cooking a pre-smoked and partially cooked ham. It's simple, easy to do and the glaze (while also simple) is FANTASTIC.

Here's some pics of the last time I did one this way........

Old 03-26-2013, 10:10 PM   #15
IamMadMan

Yummy Ham Wampus
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote