Home Canned Bacon

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Sorry, not Q, just something different.

I do a lot of canning and like to have shelf stable things on hand. I don't rely on the freezer for everything.

Here's how I can bacon.
I partially cook the bacon strips, they have color but are limp.

ZjxyCyW.jpg

I place 10 to 12 slices on a sheet of parchment paper..

Q3Ott5x.jpg

fold the sides of the paper over the end pieces, then fold the bacon in half..

zBpYa2W.jpg

roll up the bacon and place it into a sterilized jar....
leave a 1" headspace..

oYzSPBz.jpg

L3otyUt.jpg

wipe the rim of the jar with white vinegar to cut the oil and make a good seal.
Add a hot lid, and it's ready for the pressure canner.

ly30ZPG.jpg

bcfnSv6.jpg

htCZpcm.jpg

I processed these at 12lbs of pressure for 75 minutes. Check your canner and altitude for your pressure and time. They are not all the same.

6dBm1Pv.jpg

Qd7R6Ll.jpg

By precooking the bacon, you eliminate most of the drippings in the jar.
I saved all drippings and canned it separately.

1eww6qM.jpg

VOnggk2.jpg

I either fry the bacon in a skillet, or zap it in the microwave for about one minute.

ready for the microwave..

M1qKx9r.jpg

fried til crisp...

lU2gg9j.jpg

The bottom three were from the microwave, the top were pan fried...

AtrMimN.jpg

I like to use the canned bacon for several things... bacon wrapped, pepperjack stuffed shrimp, for one..

1cbJaio.jpg

The bacon crisps up nicely...

xJ8zFnn.jpg

I really like having this on hand and it just sits on the shelf in the cellar til I need it.

Just something different!

Thanks for looking!

Dang Neighbor! You never cease to amaze and open eyes. Just awesome. Never would've thought.

Just when you think you are old and jaded having seen everything..... Very Cool Idea!

Sorry, not Q, just something different.

I do a lot of canning and like to have shelf stable things on hand. I don't rely on the freezer for everything.

Here's how I can bacon.
I partially cook the bacon strips, they have color but are limp.

ZjxyCyW.jpg

I place 10 to 12 slices on a sheet of parchment paper..

Q3Ott5x.jpg

fold the sides of the paper over the end pieces, then fold the bacon in half..

zBpYa2W.jpg

roll up the bacon and place it into a sterilized jar....
leave a 1" headspace..

oYzSPBz.jpg

L3otyUt.jpg

wipe the rim of the jar with white vinegar to cut the oil and make a good seal.
Add a hot lid, and it's ready for the pressure canner.

ly30ZPG.jpg

bcfnSv6.jpg

htCZpcm.jpg

I processed these at 12lbs of pressure for 75 minutes. Check your canner and altitude for your pressure and time. They are not all the same.

6dBm1Pv.jpg

Qd7R6Ll.jpg

By precooking the bacon, you eliminate most of the drippings in the jar.
I saved all drippings and canned it separately.

1eww6qM.jpg

VOnggk2.jpg

I either fry the bacon in a skillet, or zap it in the microwave for about one minute.

ready for the microwave..

M1qKx9r.jpg

fried til crisp...

lU2gg9j.jpg

The bottom three were from the microwave, the top were pan fried...

AtrMimN.jpg

I like to use the canned bacon for several things... bacon wrapped, pepperjack stuffed shrimp, for one..

1cbJaio.jpg

The bacon crisps up nicely...

xJ8zFnn.jpg

I really like having this on hand and it just sits on the shelf in the cellar til I need it.

Just something different!

Thanks for looking!

This is the second time I've seen this.

I saw it on your blog and it did my head in. My thoughts... how on earth do you have enough time to come up with this stuff??? I'm really amazed. Of course I work 6 days a week so NO. I'm never going to do this. I will never have that much home smoked bacon lying around or the time to cook and preserve it, but I'm very glad that you do, and that you can show us too!

Clearly this is why you have no time or inclination for your own show... You're just having too much fun doing what you do with no interest in having interns cut your ingredients for you and a food director telling you what to do.

Very admirable indeed. We are lucky to have you here Jeanie!

Cheers!

This is the second time I've seen this.

I saw it on your blog and it did my head in. My thoughts... how on earth do you have enough time to come up with this stuff??? I'm really amazed. Of course I work 6 days a week so NO. I'm never going to do this. I will never have that much home smoked bacon lying around or the time to cook and preserve it, but I'm very glad that you do, and that you can show us too!

Clearly this is why you have no time or inclination for your own show... You're just having too much fun doing what you do with no interest in having interns cut your ingredients for you and a food director telling you what to do.

Very admirable indeed. We are lucky to have you here Jeanie!

Cheers!

Very kind of you Bill!
Lol It takes a bit of work but then I get to enjoy the results for the rest of the year!
I'd never give up my freedom for a tv show. Lol
Thanks for the kind comment! :-D

Looks very interesting, never seen this, or heard of it before.
Whats the shelf life at room temp?

Thanks Titch! It's 5 years on the shelf at room temperature. I keep my canned goods in the cellar where the temperature stays about 68F to 70F year round. Once opened, the jar needs to be refrigerated. I usually just cook the whole jar up and use the bacon in a day or two. :grin:

Saw this on your blog the other day and think it is amazing. I have always been in to shelf stable foods (ya never know) and look for those foods that you like to have ready. But never considered bacon as one to use.
With that lower ambient temp you should get a little longer life out of it, maybe an extra year or two. But does BACON really stick around that long?

Great Cook!

Love it...and the shrimp appetizer...is icing on the cake!

Gonna copy that one.

Back