MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:33 AM   #1
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Brats

I ground out about 5 lbs of brats last night- sausage making is hard work! I ended up stuffing them through the coarse plate, 'cause the fine plate was taking too long. They're not too shabby for my first attempt, if I do say so myself. I used one of the recipes from the files section of the site- from that huge pdf of sausage recipes. I'll have to print out the rest of it at work today . . .

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2005, 07:46 AM   #2
Qczar
Full Fledged Farker

Default RE: Brats

VQ, sounds good. When you say brats though, is the filling very fine, or more of a course texture? I guess you used natural skins? Pictures?
- Wally World / Turkey Fryer & Fish Basket
- Mini 14" Weber kettle
- Char-Broil Electric Vertical Smoker
- Little Chief Electric Fish Smoker x2
- Char-Broil Komander
Qczar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

I would suggest doing all the grinding, mixing and allow them to set overnight in frig to allow the spice to do their thing. When stuffing take the grinding plate out and just run sausage throught the stuffing horn, makes the job much easier.
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #4
VitaminQ
is One Chatty Farker

xczar: The filling is a little coarse, but not too bad all things considered. The wife has got the camera as she's visiting her family in TX, so I don't have any pics. I'll get pics of the next batch for sure.

Jim: Thanks for the tips; I was wondering about just taking the grinding plate out. The guy at the butcher shop where I picked up the casings said to grind through the fine plate, which is why I tried it. It seemed to be getting clogged up with connective tissue that wouldn't quite go through. I'd probably be a lot better off grinding through the fine plate solo, then taking it off and stuffing.
I've got a few jalapenos coming on in the garden. I might try some hot links . . .

ECB w/mods
Weber Smokey Joe
18" Weber Kettle
22" Weber clone kettle
Curb-foundling char-broil gasser
WSM: Assembled! First cook: 8/25/06
Fanatical devotion to the Q
VitaminQ is offline   Reply With Quote