MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-06-2010, 09:16 PM   #1
Gerry D
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Catering for 50

Doing pulled pork, chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, drumsticks) skin on bone in, and beans. The only thing I'm having a problem with is the chicken. How much do I need? I have eight 3 to 5 pound chickens that I plan to cut up and use, giving me 16 each breasts, thighs and drumsticks. Do I need more? Thanks for all of the help.
Gerry D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-08-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

you have plenty i would say
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
tmcmaster
is One Chatty Farker

I might add a few pounds of drumsticks.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:19 AM   #4
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

Agreed. The original plan only yields 48 pc of chicken and some people may take more than one. I think the big packages of drumsticks at Sam's have 18 pc in them. That would make sure you have plenty and very little additional cost.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 01:50 AM   #5
Chuckwagonbbqco
is one Smokin' Farker

When serving 2 meats folks only need 1/8 chicken. If you have 8 whole chickens that will give you 64 servings. I split the chicken in half and cook as a half chicken. I then split the halves into leg and thigh quarters and breast and wing quarters. I then split the leg and thigh apart--and chop the breast quarter in two. Do not spend alot of money buying already cut up pieces---save money and do it yourself.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:36 AM   #6
Gerry D
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwagonbbqco View Post
When serving 2 meats folks only need 1/8 chicken. If you have 8 whole chickens that will give you 64 servings. I split the chicken in half and cook as a half chicken. I then split the halves into leg and thigh quarters and breast and wing quarters. I then split the leg and thigh apart--and chop the breast quarter in two. Do not spend alot of money buying already cut up pieces---save money and do it yourself.
That is pretty much what I plan to do. Never though of cutting the breast in half though. Good idea. Does it matter which way you cut it? I like the idea of cutting the whole chickens myself. That way I can keep the backbones and wing tips for stock.
Gerry D is offline   Reply With Quote