MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-05-2005, 12:38 PM   #16
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Yep.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:16 AM   #17
Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauma
Ok. What ham should I use? Trout, you know me, I live not far from you. Ive been a Virginian my whole life - all Ive ever known is Smithfield hams. When I think of ham, I think salty because thats the way they come. And to be honest I like it that way. My 78 year old dad still has his Pa's old smoke houses. Sadly, he uses them as storage sheds now-a-days. But you know darn well back in the day they saw some serious pork curing!

So, what ham should I buy to double smoke?
I still say go with Cook's if you can get one. I've made four of these ham's. Two with Cook's and two with Smithfield. The Cook's hams turned out much better both times. Make sure you get a bone in ham. The boneless are not worth the time and effort. I don't know about the rest of you out there but here in Southwest Michigan it is getting harder and harder to find a bone in ham that isn't a sprial sliced honey glazed ham.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

Old Country Over/Under, Weber: 18.5" WSM, 22.5" WSM, Weber Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), Two 22.5" Kettles, & a Smokey Joe; Old Country 36" griddle, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove and a UDS.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2005, 09:55 AM   #18
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I don't know about the rest of you out there but here in Southwest Michigan it is getting harder and harder to find a bone in ham that isn't a sprial sliced honey glazed ham.
Yeah... I've noticed the same thing here... When I do find ones that aren't spiral-sliced, they are small.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2005, 09:57 AM   #19
Bigdog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I still say go with Cook's if you can get one. I've made four of these ham's. Two with Cook's and two with Smithfield. The Cook's hams turned out much better both times. Make sure you get a bone in ham. The boneless are not worth the time and effort. I don't know about the rest of you out there but here in Southwest Michigan it is getting harder and harder to find a bone in ham that isn't a sprial sliced honey glazed ham.
Has anyone tried smoking one of the spiral sliced ones?
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2005, 01:07 PM   #20
jminion
is one Smokin' Farker

The problem with spiral hams is when you heat them up they dry out, that said I know someone who wrapped one tight in plastic wrap and injected it. It a messy deal but the injection did help keep moisture levels higher during cook. I would put some smoke on for a couple of hours then wrap and take up to finish temp.
Jim
WSM
Primos
Klose
couple of Ranch kettles
jminion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2005, 01:54 PM   #21
Ron_L

Hi Jim! Thanks for the info. I was to the point where I was going to try a spiral-sliced ham, but today I bought an unsliced Cook's shank portion that was about 6 lbs at Miejer's since they had one. It has a sell by date of 12/25, so I stuck it in my basement fridge and I'll probably cook it in a couple of weeks. That was the only non-spiral-sliced ham I could find.

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 11-06-2005, 02:19 PM   #22
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminion
The problem with spiral hams is when you heat them up they dry out, that said I know someone who wrapped one tight in plastic wrap and injected it. It a messy deal but the injection did help keep moisture levels higher during cook. I would put some smoke on for a couple of hours then wrap and take up to finish temp.
Jim
That's what I figured would happen. I wonder if I cook it real low, in the cool spot with a butt on top as a baster, what would happen. I agree with you r suggestion to only cook for a couple of hours that way, then wrap and finish cooking.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2005, 06:09 AM   #23
Trout_man22
is One Chatty Farker

Don't get Smithfield and Country ham's confused. Smithfield is a brand name and makes both a bone in city ham and county ham's. Country ham is the ones that are in the cloth bag that hang in the stores are very salty and most of the water has been removed and do not need any form of cooling. City hams the ones that can be used are found in the coolers wrapped in plastic, have a use by date, and a water content of XX%. XX is based on the different makers of the product the lower the number the higher the price.

"
God either exists or He doesn't.... I believe in God." Blaise Pascal
I'm a sinner, I regret my sin and will try to never do it again.
Trout_man22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2005, 11:12 AM   #24
gman
On the road to being a farker

Post Ham for Thanksgiving

I wanted to do something a little different this year and was thinking of smoking a ham. What would be the best cook time? Anybody with experience?

Brinkmann Smoke-n-Pit Professional
gman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2005, 12:27 PM   #25
chad

Harry (aka Cabo) has done hams as gifts several years. Hopefully he'll see this and respond - otherwise drop him a PM or use the membership page lookup to send him an email.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2005, 06:10 PM   #26
Kevin

Shot a 19 pound ham up with the sweet kiss of death injectable marinade and put it in the garage fridge about an hour ago. Just went out to get a pepsi and the fridge smells like a praline. I think this ham with the glaze may be able to induce a diabetic coma. I can't wait.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:54 AM   #27
Kevin

Thank you Dr. Chicken, wherever you are.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dr Chicken Ham.JPG (60.2 KB, 265 views)

Old 11-24-2005, 12:46 PM   #28
Ron_L

That looks soooooo good, Kevin! If I leave now, i can be there in time for a bedtime snack!

Naked Fatties Rock!

Old 11-24-2005, 08:37 PM   #29
Jeff_in_KC

Ron, it really, really is good! Mine looked a lot like that (except for the lack of doneness! - See 5:23AM CST thread). But the flavor when we "fixed" the cooking problem, it was awesome!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2005, 11:04 PM   #30
BrooklynQ
Banned

damn Kevin -that looks damn good.
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote