• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Creating a Smoker App for iPhone and Android.

X

Xials

Ao i posted on another thread a little about this but I thought I would make my own thread and see if I can get some input from you folks.

I am a computer Science Student at the University of Utah. I also love to BBQ!. I also like to tinker with pretty much everything so I thought I would combine everything into one great project. I call it --- The Wi-B-Que Smoker. It's a Smart Phone controlled electric smoker. I plan to try to make it in such a way that I eventually can make them for other people.

I am going to have a recipe database, and this seems like a great place to get good recipe ideas. I need Rubs, Sauces, Marinades, Brines, sides, and meat types. If you all could help me out that would be great!

I'm posting pictures as progress continues.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Hey man, great idea... Don't forget about us Blackberry folks though.

There are more than one of you left? :wacko:

Just kidding. This is indeed an interesting idea and I'll definitely be following the progress.

Nice setup. I just have one question. Do we need to put exhaust on an electric UDS? It seems that without it, the smoke is contained, the heat is kept in, and would stop any actual burning if the chips got too hot.

KevG

I may not NEED an exhaust, however it seems to work great with it, and it has the option to take the electric element and has air intake for a coal fueled smoker as well. As far as blackberry is concerned, we are making an HTML 5 web app that should work on all brands of HTML5 compliant phones, computers, tablets, netbooks, even html 5 capable TV browsers.

Hey man, great idea... Don't forget about us Blackberry folks though.

We are doing an HTML5 web app, so as long as your BB supports html5, you should at least get most of the features... If we can figure out how to market this system at a reasonable cost we can work on developing a native BB app if we see a market there.

The exhaust serves 2 purposes, the first of which is to house a sensor for smoke. There is a close able vent that the stack sits on top of, and you only need open it slightly to be able to test smoke. The lid is certainly not sealed tight enough to allow the smoke to stay contained, and this allows me to have a more sure path which I can test. Secondly, I made the electric burner removable so that you can use coal if you want to. it has adjustable ball valves on the bottom so that you get a good flow going if you choose to.

If anyone has any recipes they can share, i would love to add them into the app itself. Does anyone know what the rules are for publishing the recipes in the recipe section?

Back