Cooking Class Swamp Boys Q School, July 2011

Rub

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I thought I had already started a thread on this but apparently I didn't :redface:

I'll be hosting a Summer Q School on July 15-16 in Live Oak FL, at the beautiful Spirit of the Suwannee Music Park & Campground, located on the Suwannee River in north FL.

The KCBS Papa Joe's Banjo-B-Q in N. Augusta SC last weekend had a field of 62 teams loaded with talent including the big names from across the country competing, several you've seen on TV. When all the smoke cleared, Go For Smoke BBQ walked away with a perfect 180 and 1st in chicken, a 3rd in pork, and RGC! :clap: A BIG congratulations :clap: go out to Rob and his wife Prudence, who both took the last Swamp Boys Q School :)

And of course don't forget Hicktown BBQ who took RGC at the KCBS contest in Rome GA a couple of weeks ago with a 1st in both pork AND brisket! Another first-time RGC, fantastic job in a tough field!

That makes a total of 20 Grand Championships/Reserve Grand Championships by Q School Graduates, including a Perfect Score in FBA and a Perfect Score in KCBS! GC/RGC wins have happened in FL, GA, NY, and SC. This is not a regional class, these techniques are nation-wide.

See my web site for an application!

If you are on the fence about taking a class, this is the one you need to take. It has been great for us. We continue to reap the benefits. Rub is a great guy and his students have done very well.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Add Ohio to that list....

We're coming to get in one in Marietta next weekend. :mad2:

In all seriousness, we took Rub's class and even if you "know what you're doing" it will take you from a call a contest to contender. We have competed on the pro side of things for about 18 months and have 3 GC's, 2 RGC's and a ton of top 10's. We had things going good, but this turned it up and has us going great now.

His customer support line has always been on for us if we have a follow up question. Uncle Rubs a great dude and if you give him a couple of cold ones around that bonfire, he'll spill his guts. Go for his brisket rub and his rib rub....if you get the chance.

As Chad will confirm...we collectively left with about 60 pages of information and things that we wanted to test. We had a week of tests, made some tweaks and went out the very next weekend, 7 days after the class and took down our first GC with a lot of big hitters in the crowd (including Rub) and guess who was the first person to congratulate us....Yes...it was Cheryl with a check and trophy...ok, the second person was Rub. You could tell how proud he was.

Top 10 caliber to GC in 7 days (true)

And I lost 50 pounds in 2 days at his class (not true)

or don't go and get used to your wife bringing home the pulled pork in a bucket from the supermarket frozen food section. Take control of your household people and sign up for this class.

Don't go spilling the secrets about the cold ones and me talking. You know me, I fall for it every time thinking people are just being nice :laugh:.

Thank you for the great feedback. The WB team is a heckuva success story and it just keeps getting better. Not to mention you guys are a lot of fun to hang with. Now go get you one in OH! :thumb:

How about that Bartow picture?

Post that one again for old times sake...

The worst part is all of those guys have been to Rubs class and it looks like they robbed Bomar Trophy store.

The best part is that Rub didn't have any big shiny trophies...that's how you know he gives up all the secrets in his class.

That ride home must've been bitter sweet...at least it was only 20 minutes from the house.

It has to be in Ohio...

Now there are plenty of contests out there to "go get one", does it have to be one I'm at? :laugh:

I'm sure you boys aren't going to throw in the towel...but if you do make sure you are fanning somebody down on that black top.

Swamp Boys Class is where we learned about 3 Eyz actually. We hate that stuff...we don't use it on anything...including parsley, chicken, ribs, pork & brisket. That stuff is terrible, BUTTTTTTT......the fine folks in Marietta, OH love it, so it'll probably make the trip.:becky:

All of the above is an attempt at a joke....3 Eyz rub is on all of our food! Now if we could get that Swamp Boys rib rub on our ribs:cool:.

• Thanks
Reactions: Rub
Post that one again for old times sake...

The worst part is all of those guys have been to Rubs class and it looks like they robbed Bomar Trophy store.

The best part is that Rub didn't have any big shiny trophies...that's how you know he gives up all the secrets in his class.

That ride home must've been bitter sweet...at least it was only 20 minutes from the house.

I was real disappointed in my showing, I had won GC the previous 2 years. But seeing all you guys kick arse sure made it easier to swallow.
Grand Champ, Reserve Grand, and GC in the backyard.
What a sweep! :whoo::first:
QSchoolWinners.jpg

I can't make this one, but i would like to know if another date for the fall
will be in the works? Other than being on the brethren is there a way to
keep up with Rub and his classes? Read lots of good stuff about his classes, and i would like to try to good later in the year...

Hot Sauce Hoss

I can't make this one, but i would like to know if another date for the fall
will be in the works? Other than being on the brethren is there a way to
keep up with Rub and his classes? Read lots of good stuff about his classes, and i would like to try to good later in the year...

Hot Sauce Hoss
Hey HSH,

The link to my web site is in my signature below. You can also find a Facebook page for Swamp Boys, and I have a highly neglected blog too. I've got to get to work on that. :doh:

I try to do 3 classes per year: Spring, Summer, Winter. I haven't set a date for the Winter class yet.

We've got 4 states represented so far for Summer School - VA, IN, FL, and GA :-D

I want to thank product sponsors for our Summer Q School :thumb: :clap:
Bad Byron’s Butt Rub
Butcher BBQ
Spicewine Ironworks
3 Eyz BBQ
Sorry Boys
Dizzy Pig BBQ

There is a short time left to get your applications in, don’t delay. It’s going to be a great class!

You are gonna force me to come back to Florida, after being away for 27 years??? Can't make this one (family vacation and comp), but I am extremely interested in the fall/winter.

Now if only we could get you up to the Mid-Atlantic area...................

Chris, I travel to where ever there is a demand.
Help set it up and it will happen :wink:

Hey Rub this might sound crazy and far fetched but would you ever consider coming to California to put on a class?..I'm sure without a doubt you could fill every seat!

Hey Rub this might sound crazy and far fetched but would you ever consider coming to California to put on a class?..I'm sure without a doubt you could fill every seat!
Matt and Chris, PMs sent.

I'm very happy to announce 2 new sponsors to Q School - Oakridge BBQ rubs and Stump's Smokers!

All students in the Swamp Boys Q School class are entitled to a 15% discount towards the purchase of a new Stump's Smoker. This applies to new orders only, and the order must be placed within a week of the class. Orders placed later than a week after the class are eligible for a 10% discount.

Thanks to these fine folks :-D

I'm very happy to announce 2 new sponsors to Q School - Oakridge BBQ rubs and Stump's Smokers!

All students in the Swamp Boys Q School class are entitled to a 15% discount towards the purchase of a new Stump's Smoker. This applies to new orders only, and the order must be placed within a week of the class. Orders placed later than a week after the class are eligible for a 10% discount.

Thanks to these fine folks :-D

How much to get you to lie and say I took the class? :heh:

How much to get you to lie and say I took the class? :heh:
$500 would do it Joe :wink:

Big news, we have our first California applicant in the books!
Five states represented so far this summer :thumb:

Back