Chicken skin miracle

^^^this^^^

Mike, I really have tried this over and over again. For me, I had inconsistent results in the Primo, but it was close to being good. In the MAK, the skin always came out either burnt or rubbery, but never good. With the boiling water, I've had consistently good results in the MAK. I'm just glad I was willing to try it. I"m glad the OP was willing to take a chance as well. Maybe it won't work for everyone, just as others have had consistently good skin without the boiling water.

What temp are you cooking at in the Primo?

In the Primo, I go with 330*, dome temp, with a CyberQ and I spatch the chicken. I have yet to try different temps now that I'm using boiling water, so I may be able to go lower or higher...I don't know yet.

I have no issues with chicken skin but I’ll try the salty hot water trick!

I love these dudes that laugh at someone for trying something outside the box but they’ll poop their pants over a chord of wood that’ll create the perfect “brisky”

Thanks for the idea OP, it’s free, so I’ll see what happens Cool2

I'm way too lazy to go to the trouble of pouring boiling water on me chicken...

In the Primo, I go with 330*, dome temp, with a CyberQ and I spatch the chicken. I have yet to try different temps now that I'm using boiling water, so I may be able to go lower or higher...I don't know yet.

I would do at LEAST 400 dome temp. 330 might not even be 300 at the grate. I like to do chicken indirect 425 to 450 dome temp on the Primo and then I'll do it direct for a few minutes at the end. When I do rotisserie yard bird on the kettle,its generally reading 425 to 450. Rotisserie gets me the best skin of all, it basically becomes one with the meat and just kinda melts to it. So good.

Last edited:
Whole chicken dipped in a pot of Boiling water a few times before roasting is awesome.
never tried individual bits tho,
I believe the Chinese have this down to a fine art with all poultry.

For me, pouring the boiling water over the skin for a few seconds is easier and still seems to work. That said, I have seen Chinese cooks dip the bird. I guess that's the traditional way.

Mike, I really have tried this over and over again. For me, I had inconsistent results in the Primo, but it was close to being good. In the MAK, the skin always came out either burnt or rubbery, but never good. With the boiling water, I've had consistently good results in the MAK. I'm just glad I was willing to try it. I"m glad the OP was willing to take a chance as well. Maybe it won't work for everyone, just as others have had consistently good skin without the boiling water.

I am totally down to try boiling water, especially on a whole bird I plan to throw on the WSM.

I agree with others about going hotter. I’ve had good results with one chimney of lump on one side of a Weber 22” kettle (chicken on the opposite side) with all vents wide open. I’d guess the indirect side was well north of 425. My normal 26 SNS cooks I’d get it up to about 550-600 on the lid above the SNSXL. Skin doesn’t get as crispy (probably because of the two zone block).

All cookers are different though.

Back