Need input Please.

First of all I apologize if anyone thought that we were trying to hijack the thread... That was not either of our intention...

Now if you read back to my postings, even with the levity, I did ask a question as to how this was to be served. It is my feeling that without that information there is no way I (or we) can assist by making assumptions. It is the difference between essentially making a 'Rib Dinner' or a 'BBQ Platter'.

Again, I'm sorry if you took my posting wrong as I too enjoy reading and learning from this section.

If they are on a budget, it is going to be a tough pill to swallow trying to justify 25 racks of ribs.
That's why I'm recommending a pre-determined plate of pulled pork, 2 ribs, portion of chicken, a piece of sausage, and sides.. By having a set plate, you can use more of the, as Bubba called it, 'Fillers' of pulled pork and side dishes where if you just let them at it the ribs are going to be gone in a heart beat...

I serve 12 bones per slab.

Mista, here are my two cents. If I'm selling a slab (not cut), I would say 12 bones, but if I am serving individual bones or two, there are going to be some people who feel like they got jipped. 10 bones wouldn't burn any bridges amongst friends.

Ok so her dad is footing what is needed. I checked on St Luis cut spares. Does anyone know roughly how many slabs are in a case from Resturaunt Depot?

Norco,
When and where is this event? Do you want some Brethren help? Time and location dependent, I might be able to show and take out the trash or something useful....

All you have to do is say the word and I bet you could get some more free pot washers.

Ok so her dad is footing what is needed. I checked on St Luis cut spares. Does anyone know roughly how many slabs are in a case from Resturaunt Depot?

12 per yummy case. Wish they would finish trimming them though. You still have to pull the membrane off the back!!!!! :grin:

We are all BBQ artists, and we are all proud of our BBQ. The result of this love for BBQ is that we all want to cook meat, because that is our forte. The word "BUDGET" requires different thinking.

The original post says that "THEY" are having many side dishes. Who are "THEY" and what side dishes and what quanities? Have "THEY" ever done this before? Early in my catering career I did several events like this---I just supplied the meat. I no longer do "meat only" events. I was standing proudly with my highly visible lettered BBQ pit, wearing my fancy embroidered chef's coat ---but wait the salad ran out---the bread ran out---the beans ran out. The attendees at the BBQ were looking at me and complaining----I BECAME THE HIGHLY VISIBLE BAD GUY. My wife overheard a conversation at work the next day about what a terrible caterer I was, because of the undersupplied side dishes. SIDE DISHES ARE YOUR FRIEND !!

Marines are young men, and young men can eat vast quanities of food. It is up to you to decide what they are going to eat and how much they are going to eat of it.
Have side dishes and have plenty of them. You can be brave and set up a buffet line with no servers. Start placing stuff on the table--first plates, napkins and silverware. Plate size is very important--plate size is portion control. I usually use 9 1/4 inch three compartment plates by Chinet. The 3 compartment plates are also are a hint as to serving size--each compartment only holds so much. Then start arranging side dishes down the table. Figure out an approx. "Cost per serving" of each dish and line them up in order with "Lowest" cost first. Tossed salad is cheap, corn cobbettes are cheap, bread is cheap, beans are cheap. Your goal is to have the BBQ attendees be gently and subtly encouraged to fill their plates before they get to the meat.

I agree with using "filler" meats---pulled pork is awesome for this. Make a large load of pulled pork and put it first in the line---line up the meat in the same manner as the other dishes----least expensive goes first. You can control rib portions without having someone standing there passing them out. If you want each person to eat 2 ribs----cut the ribs in 2 piece sections ----or 3 rib sections, whatever. Two ribs together look larger--so they take less than they would of single ribs. Three ribs in a section looks huge and you will hear comments and see grins----but you have subtly set up for a 3 rib per person gathering. Also the larger rib cuts "Overfill" the plate.

Another cost saving strategy is to put out a chafing tray full of Hot Dogs about a half hour before you plan to serve. Simply state that you saw some restless, hungry kids so you thought it would be helpful to put out hot dogs, buns and condiments. This helps in 3 ways---1) children are fed early, and parents will not have to deal with them during serving time 2) Many "hungry" adults that are smelling BBQ cooking will eat a hot dog appetizer 3) Any hot dogs consumed will save you money on your more expensive meats.

Beans are your best friend. Although I disagree with using the word "can" and the word "bean" in the same sentence---beans can help you. Beans made from rock hard dried beans in a sack are cheaper to make---thus helping budget. Flavor has been argued in another thread. Those that doctor up canned beans always use the same arguement--" They taste "almost" as good as homemade." Beans are the best "filler food" at any BBQ. Do not be afraid----do not weaken----t6hrow out the four ounce serving rule. Make beans and make lots of beans. Next to the beans put some 12 ounce bowls. The "lowly friole" will cut your meat costs.

Last but not least. Serve the meat in chafing trays that are not heaped full. Keep a constant eye on the meat trays and fill them often----but not too full. BBQ attendees take less meat if it appears that there is not "Tons" of meat. If you fill a very large electric roaster with huge amounts of meat---they will take more than they need ---just because it is there.

BBQ pitmasters live off of compliments----but sometimes compliments sre received out of politeness or thankfulness because of the group or charity that you have just fed. When it comes to seeing if a BBQ was a success there is only one true measuring device. The device to measure sucess is the "Trash Can." Trash Cans never lie or exaggerate. Look in the trash cans after serving is done. If you did your job right, there will be no meat thrown away---and perhaps a few 12 ounce bowls with a little left over beans.

Portion control is cost control---I have had a server at every single dish, serving exact portions. The portion control is exact, but those being served don't like it, and servers need to be paid. I have found that it is less expensive to subtly control buffet lines and BBQ attendees have no complaints about servings.

On the beans question, 2-3 #10 cans should do it. But be ready to doctor them up.

Have fun! And thanks for serving our men & women.

Minimum one rack for three people about 17 racks for 50 people

norco,
when and where is this event? Do you want some brethren help? Time and location dependent, i might be able to show and take out the trash or something useful....

All you have to do is say the word and i bet you could get some more free pot washers.

ditto!

Marines, about to depoly.... ya I'd figure half a rack per Marine. You said of the 50 half are marines that means 25 marines 25 normal people... (ha, ha) at the half slab per Marine figure so far we'll estimate 12 slabs. Now the 25 normal folks, thats 2 bones a piece (you said chicken too) 2*25=50 50/12=about 4. 12 for the Marines plus 4 for the normal folks equals 16 slabs of spare ribs plus chicken. I feel like i'm in math class. Except I'd payed more attention if they had used BBQ examples.

depending on how many(only read first post)load up on pork- they ain't getting that for a while & spice it up. they're devil dogs- throw in some abts... & lots of beer.
semper fi

That's why I'm recommending a pre-determined plate of pulled pork, 2 ribs, portion of chicken, a piece of sausage, and sides.. By having a set plate, you can use more of the, as Bubba called it, 'Fillers' of pulled pork and side dishes where if you just let them at it the ribs are going to be gone in a heart beat...
i'm also sure there is a support group(vfw etc) that would be willing to pitch in.
remember afghan or any other muslim country - no pork- no beer. get some community support & it should all be good w/ plenty- i bet even the local grocer may donate a case of ribs- after all it's tax deductible.

i'm also sure there is a support group(vfw etc) that would be willing to pitch in.
remember afghan or any other muslim country - no pork- no beer. get some community support & it should all be good w/ plenty- i bet even the local grocer may donate a case of ribs- after all it's tax deductible.
Maybe, but more than likely not... I understand it would require a tax exempt id for them to deduct it...

I would present it to them more like "Good Will Advertising"...

Back