MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
smokenpreacher
Full Fledged Farker

Default Woods for Smokin'

There probably is a thread or list here somewhere, but I'm lazy and don't want to search for it. So, here goes. I bought an Old Country Pecos smoker, and have used it a few times. I used regular charcoal, and I was continually feeding this beast. I tried lump in a basket, better results, better heat control, and used less coal. I'm wanting to try stick wood. What woods are acceptable to use? I have access to oaks, pecan, hickory, and a lot of others. I know not to use pines etc, but unsure about some others. Are all hardwoods OK to use? What not to use? Thanks...you guys ROCK!
smokenpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
KotaChuk678
On the road to being a farker

Fruit and nut mostly from what I understand, Mesquite , Oak and Hickory also!

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-17-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I searched for you.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=153933
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=153668
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=153345

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
ICTBBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Honestly, it doesn't really matter what we all tell you. Experiment with different woods and see what YOU like. Bottom line is everyone Q is different, what I like you may not. Get out there and try a few woods and stick with what you think gives the meat the best flavor.
ICTBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-17-2013, 10:40 PM   #5
yakdung
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenpreacher View Post
There probably is a thread or list here somewhere, but I'm lazy and don't want to search for it. So, here goes. I bought an Old Country Pecos smoker, and have used it a few times. I used regular charcoal, and I was continually feeding this beast. I tried lump in a basket, better results, better heat control, and used less coal. I'm wanting to try stick wood. What woods are acceptable to use? I have access to oaks, pecan, hickory, and a lot of others. I know not to use pines etc, but unsure about some others. Are all hardwoods OK to use? What not to use? Thanks...you guys ROCK!
http://www.deejayssmokepit.net/Downl...lavorChart.pdf
yakdung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2013, 11:56 PM   #6
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Pretty much anything that is a hardwood(Oak, Hickory, Alder, Mesquite, Maple..etc) or a Fruit wood (anything that bears fruit like cherry, apple, pear, plum, perrsimon, etc...even grape vines are good).

Old 02-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #7
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

One thing to keep in mind is you'll probably be better off in the long run using something that is readily available in your area - hopefully you like whatever that is! I think in GA you likely have a wide variety of options available.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM   #8
BayoustateBBQ
On the road to being a farker

If you are constantly feeding it, try oak. It's a mild smoke and the best and longer heat for your smoker next to hickory.
[SIZE=3][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=Black]R[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkRed][I][COLOR=Black][FONT=Trebuchet MS]eal men like their Pork[/FONT] [/COLOR]Pulled"[/I][/COLOR][/B] [/SIZE]:peace:
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153581"]How to smoke a 14 lb tender brisket in 4 hours![/URL][/SIZE]
[/SIZE]
BayoustateBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote