Smoking Turkey

Q

quasi

When smoking a turkey is it better to hang it or set it on a roasting pan?

First off, welcome aboard and go intoduce yourself in Cattle Call.

I've never hung a bird. I've smoked them right on the grates. Do you have a Bandera, or other smoker?

I've smoked a turkey breast in the past and just set it in the Bandera. I kind of treated it like a boston butt, not hung or in a pan. There was a conversation a while back about placing meat in a pan when smoking, but I can't remember if anyone said that reduces the amount of smoke taken in by the meat.

NCGrimbo

I have a Bandera.
With baffle and firebrick lined. Added two Cast Iron wood stove grates to the fire box for the coals.

Put on rack and then got a turkey cannon like this.
tkyc.jpg

I just set it on the grates.

I inject and set it straight on the grates in my Bandera.

Thanks for the input.
I haven't seen the turkey cannon before. Just did some reading on it. That could help a lot considering the bird I plan to smoke is a rather large wild turkey.

I like to start it with the feet pointing towards the fire to let that absorb a bunch of the heat and radiate it inside the bird. I don't if that actually does anything scientifically, but it makes me feel better.

I have done my turkeys in the past in the aluminum pan. Next time I will just put it on the grates.

Pretty much like everyone else here I just put it on the grate. Seems to work just fine. GOOD LUCK.

I picked up a larger Beer Butt type stand for turkey(s). Works just like a BBC - just a little larger. Sits right on the grate.

I just did 2 seperate 11 pounders this past weekend in the Bandera, first time I have ever done turkey.
Cooked them at about 250 for 5 hours, pulled them at 170 and then foiled and coolered them for 5 more. Served them up at the annual Rod and Gun Game Dinner, everyone raved about it, came out very very good.
I didnt brine or inject and just rubbed with my mustard/garlic rub, cooked over a nice cherry fire and then coated with maple syrup when I foiled them.
Definately gonna do it again.
Soon.

Back