Smoking Whole Turkey... need a little help here?

LOUMAFF3

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am planning to smoke turkey for Thanksgiving. So the practice turkey is this weekend. I plan to get a fresh 10 pounder. Make up a batch of brine and let it soak it the frig for 12hrs or so. Rub it inside, out and under the skin. I am cooking on a NB Bandera with RO lump with chunks of hickory.
Ok here are the questions.
1. What temp is good to give me a bird that is cooked thru and not dry on the outside?
2. What should I baste it with to keep the skin edible? Do I need added oil to the mopping sauce?
3. What kind of time should I be planning to smoke for? I will determine doneness by temp.

Any other tips would be great! :-D

Thanks,
Lou

Ok here is how I do it on the WSM, you will have to adjust for yours.

Get a self basting turkey and do not brine. Use whatever rub you would like and get your cooker up to 325-350. Cook it breast side up until the breast is 165 and the leg is 175. Remove and let stand for 30 minutes un tented (tenting will casue the skin to go rubbery) eat.
If you want to brine and baste that is cool as well, I use applke juice in a spray bottle when I baste. You could add oil or butter the skin.
Let us know how it goes, and remember no pics it didn't happen

I read a thread a little while ago about placing a ziplock bag of ice on the boobs before placing it on the pit so it cooks at the same time as the legs & thighs...

I read a thread a little while ago about placing a ziplock bag of ice on the boobs before placing it on the pit so it cooks at the same time as the legs & thighs...

whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

In my experience, this idea (or similar )has merit, but is not required.

Low and slow actually works for turkey.

Let us know how it comes out. I have never been able to "BBQ" 225* or so a turkey. Everytime I try it it never gets the dark meat tender enough, it will get the leg to 180*, but it is like rubber.

Last couple I have done, 325* just like oven, usually 4-5 hours. I like to pull when the leg is about 200*.

Always intersted to see the many different ways folks do it...That is why I am very intrested in your results!

I'm just getting ready to put a #13 turkey in brine and will be smoking on Sunday. My plan is to smoke at 325* with a cheesecloth soaked in butter draped over the bird. I will remove the cheesecloth for the last hour to help with getting a crispy skin. This is a practice run for Thanksgiving.

The ice on the breast trick works great! I like to either brine or inject and I stuff the cavity with celery, carrots, onions and apples along with some sage and rosemary. Then I rub the outside with softened butter mixed with fresh sage and rosemary and cook at 325-350 as the other guys have said. I pull it at 155-160 in the breast and 175-180 in the thigh and then let it rest under a tent of foil for 20 minutes or so before carving.

Does everyone stuff the cavity? Why or why not?

Gobble Gobble Time Again

I cut my BAAAHHHBEQUE !!! teeth on smoked turkey.
cooking in a WSM at 325-350 is not smoking a turkey
it's roasting with wood.. I smoke my turkeys at 225
to 240 thats smoking love maple and apple wood for the
smoke. early on I used Mesquite once tasted like a dirty ash
tray. I have brined a couple of birds but I have found that
if you stuff the bird with fresh fruit and onions you will not
have a dry bird.. use what ever fruit you like, I use what ever
is in season at the time I'm smoking the turkeys. As for getting
crispy skin on a smoked bird forget about it.. I wrap the outside
of the bird in bacon which also helps to keep the bird moist. for
years before I got my wicked cool Black Thermo Pen. I would smoke
it by time 12 to 14lb bird takes six hours @ 225. But 165 is the bird is
done. this way works every time. for thanksgiving I will smoke one
bird and roast one.. my daughter doesn't like smoked turkey.

I'm just getting ready to put a #13 turkey in brine and will be smoking on Sunday. My plan is to smoke at 325* with a cheesecloth soaked in butter draped over the bird. I will remove the cheesecloth for the last hour to help with getting a crispy skin. This is a practice run for Thanksgiving.
Let us know the outcome! I'm manning the pit here at the house for thanksgiving.
I'm going to inject the bird with squeezable butter. If nothing else everyone will need some lipator!
--Hop

If you got a turkey smokin question you gotta come to the smokin turkey!

If you are cooking at temps over 250*F, you are roasting. Smokin turkey is the best! you need to go low and slow at a temp of 200-225. I cook 12-18 hours depending on the size but the best way to tell it's done is a probe.

I've never brined but I'm not against it. I just use water pan smokers and I inject. I also stuff with a very wet stuffing. (my own recipe)

Does everyone stuff the cavity? Why or why not?

I use aromatics in the cavity to flavor the meat from the inside and the fruit and veggies help keep the meat moist and add flavor.

If going between 200 and 240ish on a uds how do you keep the turkey from drying out? What would be the results of putting it into a pan full of veggies and some water or something?

Didn't have a problem with drying out. I started brining which I like. I also put a layer of foil on a lower shelf.

IMG_2735.jpg

I do the low and slow as well, using cherry wood... a free by-product of cabinetmaking!:biggrin:
Also, for the beautiful golden color I think turkey should be, I use a mayo slather with some Rosemary thrown in.
I also rub a little mixture of Worcestershire and Kitchen Bouquet under the wings because I can't stand the sight of a beautifully smoked bird with a nasty pale "underarm".
Look in the photo of the turkey Norco supplied. You can get a glimpse of what I am talking about...
I stuff White Onions in the cavity, and do not brine.

Back