My Bacon Avocado Lettuce Tomato Sammie

BBQ Grail

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
It seems the Throwdowns are getting rather challenging. Each and every person trying to outdo each other. I decided to take it down a notch and try to put some sanity back into the Throwdowns with a plain BALT Sandwich.

I stopped at the Fatted Calf in Napa yesterday and picked up a little slab bacon.

BALT7.jpg

I hacked off a little piece that just fit the bread...
BALT4.jpg

The Fatted Calf's bacon is heavily smoked already so I just put it on the infrared grill to cook it. It sizzled away for an hour or so...
BALT5.jpg

Add the avocado, heirloom tomatoes and lettuce along with a healthy slather of mayo and you've got a little sammie...
BALT1.jpg

BALT2.jpg

BALT6.jpg

Now i know what i am having for dinner.
Looks fantastic!

Paul

Nice looking sammie! Wish there was a place that served them.

It seems the Throwdowns are getting rather challenging. Each and every person trying to outdo each other. I decided to take it down a notch and try to put some sanity back into the Throwdowns with a plain BALT Sandwich.

A plain bacon, avocado, lettuce, tomato sandwich?
DUDE .... PA--LEEZE:clap2:

I don`t know how but you turned something so simple into something so grand. Thanks for the great idea.

Good looking sammich there. So you have now posted pics of two thick pieces of bacon, here and in your egg rolls. Having only had the thin sliced variety, I was wondering how this turns out. Is it chewy or does the slow cook make it tender like a ham?

Good looking sammich there. So you have now posted pics of two thick pieces of bacon, here and in your egg rolls. Having only had the thin sliced variety, I was wondering how this turns out. Is it chewy or does the slow cook make it tender like a ham?

Great question...

The "egg rolls" were pork belly. So it wasn't cured. I smoked the whole pork belly low and slow and this made it very tender. Not chewy at all.

For the bacon today I was a little concerned about it being chewy, but a couple of hours on the grill with indirect heat and it was pretty tender. A little hard, but I could bite through it.

The only real problem was that I don't think I rendered the fat in the bacon enough. I probably could have gone another 45 minutes indirect before direct heat grilling.

BALTs have to be one of my favorite sandwiches, and you have certainly done justice with this one.

Can I get a diet Coke with that? Looks great Larry. Does that scale read 15.25 oz? Wow that is killer, and I mean literally.

That's Awesome Larry... At least 4 breakfasts there in one!

Wow!
I got some raw,uncured porkbelly with some nice seasoning and I got some Breydel porkbelly that is allready seasoned and pre-grilled.
Thanks for the idea...looks yum larry!

Not trying to be a di k but that looks very unappetizing to me. Sorry

Back