• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

No More Sam's Choice Charcoal

coachop94

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
:icon_pissed Lord what was I thinking . I bought some Sam's Choice Charcoal since they were out of Kingsford last week. Now I know why they had so much of it. That is the WORST stuff ever to be bagged and sold. I wouldn't use it again even if they paid me. Thank goodness I had enough kingford left to keep this crap going. Been cooking longer than I wanted to be. Just a warning for anyone who may be entertaining the idea. DON'T DO IT!!

Hey you missed another Bash. Check thread and see what you missed. Welcome back.

Had a couple bags of Sam's I received at a class last Summer and thought it was OK, better than Rancher IMO. Sticking with the Kingsford!

if i gotta use charcoal i use it- it supplements well- never had no probs
btw we got the largest kings ford plant in the world( seriously) right here but they won't sell direct so i use wood...

Surprised

I am surprised, I love the Sam's Choice Charcoal. It is great for smoking, those things are the size of raquetballs and they burn forever.

I could see them being tough to grill with, but for a smoker they are A+!

Hmm maybe they had a bad batch. I have used it for both grilling and smoking in my drum and it was fine. I understand Royal Oak makes it for Wallys..

I bought some a while back to season my smoker. That was the weirdest smelling charcoal ever!:eek: As it was heating up in the chimney, It was like watching some sci-fi video of planets covered with volcanoes. There were little flares on the surface of the briqs that would hiss, pop and sizzle throwing sparks. :shock: Worse than a pine log in a campfire. Eventually they settled down and when they were ashed over they began to smell like wood charcoal. I decided I would never cook meat with it. The remainder of the bag will go in a campfire just for the show!!:cool:

if i can't find royal oak i use sams choice and have had no problems. i've used it on and off for years including long smokes and it did just fine. no idea why you had a problem. its made by ro. i'll buy a bag next time i'm there and will check it out.

ya get what ya pay for & any wally world product- sometimes it's all we can get.
did ya see the links to making your own lump if ya can....

I can't find Royal Oak BRIQUETTS around here, just the lump. But happened to be slummin' through Big Lots and saw red bags of "Sizzle" briqs in 9lb bags for $3-its made by RO. Didn't buy any since I'm into the Stubb's.

kingsford is no different than the cheaper ones in my opinion. i have had no problems with sams club brand or royal brand....

I was thinking about getting some cheap charcoal to use as a starter - just to bring the Dera up to temp and create some embers. Then I will pile in some good charcoal. Would you still shy away from Sams Choice for that purpose too?

I've had no trouble with Sam's Choice.

Sam's Choice over Kingsford

I don't know why anyone would think that Sam's Choice charcoal is so awful? Me and four of my friends preferred sam's choice over kingsford's incredibly shrinking charcoal briquettes any day of the week, heck they were darn near twice the size of kingsford. I never had to make 2 batches of coals to finish my cooking with sam's choice as I have to do with kingsford's crap. Anyway, I just wish they would bring it back for us who actually preferred this over the alternative.

Back