Over the counter smoker

ThChrMn

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have not been here in a while and in the market for a new smoker.

I have about $300 to $400 to spend and was wondering if there was something better than a WSM for the money.

Thanks in advance brothers.

John

Nope, and I'll be the first to say this, "Build yourself a drumsmoker. They are pretty good too."

yeah, assuming you can find a acceptable drum that doesnt cost you that much to get to your house.

I love my drum smoker, but at the depot the other day I saw a "new" (I'd never seen it before) brinkmann offset. I was impressed, way more heavy duty than the standard cheapo. $300. If you want an offset, look into it, if not...Build a drum!

I have not been here in a while and in the market for a new smoker.

I have about $300 to $400 to spend and was wondering if there was something better than a WSM for the money.

Thanks in advance brothers.

John

Nope...:becky:

A drum is one of the cheapest if your handy and if you can drill a hole you should be good to go. You can build no weld drums. If not a WSM is probably your best bet. They are simple to use and make award winning bbq.

If I hadn't started with a UDS I certainly would have gotten a WSM by now. When you see them all over the place at legit KCBS comps then you know something is working.

If I hadn't started with a UDS I certainly would have gotten a WSM by now. When you see them all over the place at legit KCBS comps then you know something is working.

I see plenty of both WSMs & UDSs at every comp that I go to - about 12 to 15 contests per year :-D.

If you really want an offset of name-brand smoker start scanning craigslist, there's plenty on there.

but I'd still vote to build a UDS. The drum = awesomeness.

Build a UDS, with the money you save buy more Meat,sauce, and rubs.

WSMs are like the set-it-and forget-it rotisseries advertised on TV. Easy to use with little care, if used properly.

If you are like me and don't want or can't have a drum sitting around the WSM is the BEST deal on the market, it's a WEBER!

In that price range I don't think you'll do better than a WSM or a UDS unless you find a great score on craigslist. You can turn out world class grub on those - and I'm saying this a very happy offset owner.

Building a brick pit could be another option - although I have no idea what the costs are involved for that. I've never priced cabinet style smokers, but that may be something to look into.

Or you can enter the raffle that's going on in another thread here and try to get that Backwoods Party smoker - it looks pretty awesome & it's for a great cause.

Back