WSM Achieving Low Temps

NS Mike D

Full Fledged Farker
I have the large WSM, and switched to sand in the tray. Since doing so, the cooker runs hotter.

At first I thought it was because I was using Royal Oak lump, but this morning I am running it with Kingsford blue started with the minion method (about 1/3 chimney). I closed the vents all the way down to about 15-20% when it reached 200.

When I put the butt in, I noticed decent sized flames on the coals - wasn't expecting that.

Anyway, with the vents closed down that much it's running at 275. (the lid thermometer is fairly accurate). I was hoping to to see if I could get it to run at 225 today.

BTW, it's 36 outside right now.

I am going to close two vents, but do you think the door could leak that much to stoke the coals?

I have an IQUE 110 on order.

(I"m ok running at 275, just want the option to cook at 200-225 without using water)

I'd try using few lit coals at the beginning. Maybe 8-10 coals.

There's nothing wrong with letting it rip @ 275, results will be the same (IMO) and you get to sleep more.

I figured it out - had to get past the rule about not closing down the top vent. With one vent open 25%, the 2 other closed, and the top vent open 50%, it's been holding 225 for a a while.

Back