MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:37 AM   #1
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default What Do You Do in the Off-Season?

Some of us are now in the off-season for competitive BBQ. Last year, I kept really busy with BBQ related stuff such as doing our Web site, going to a CBJ class, attending the KCBS Awards Banquet and ordering my smoker among other things. What types of BBQ stuff, if any, do you do to prepare for next spring?

This off-season, I plan to re-do our Web site, attend the rules meeting, attend the awards banquet, have my wife attend a CBJ class, take inventory of equipment and evaluate what worked well, what was junk and what I might need to purchase before April. I also plan to experiment with a new chicken rub and try to find something that works well.
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2006, 09:19 AM   #2
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

Im working on my new smoker which should be finished soon. Then I will do alot of cooks to dial it in to how I cook. Ill work on new sauced and rubs. I cook for Chief games, Super Bowl etc. Im thinking about a web site so I can share my 3 sentences of BBQ knowledge. My wife and I are expecting are second in the begining of April so my season may start a little late this year. I hope I wont miss Osage but we'll see.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2006, 09:28 AM   #3
Roo-B-Q'N
is One Chatty Farker

As next year will be our inagural year for competing, Char and I are going to focus on our sauces, rubs, and techniques. On top of that we will be practicing several times throughout the winter months. We also need to go over the several helpful checklists and ensure we have everything we need.
Then we will start looking over competions to see which ones we will do and more importantly which one we cut our teeth on. We had hoped to hook up with a mentor team this year work with them, but that did not happen. If it doesn't happen early next season our first comp will be nerve racking.
So after thinking this through we are going to be fairly busy.
Large Spicewine, Backwoods Smoker (Party), WSM, Oklahoma Joe's Offset, Wood Fired Oven
Roo-B-Q'N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2006, 09:30 AM   #4
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

First, after last weekend, we'll be doing a lot of crying. Once that's done, we're going to be taking a cooking class finally somewhere, probably Dr BBQ's if he's doing any within a reasonable distance.

We'll keep trying to better what we're doing, and I think my teammate and his wife are going to get their CBJs. My wife and I have discussed finding an early season event down south to judge as an excuse for a trip.

Other than that, we're working on getting our catering area up to speed to get licensed to do more than personal chef stuff, and we'll be supplying probably 2 burger joints with pulled pork on an at least monthly basis.

Equipment-wise, we've already begun paring things down to what we really need, but we want to add some things for hot weather like powerful fans and some sort of misting device. We're also going to make up a sink with counter and steel legs to use at comps, and we want to upgrade some of our equipment. We're going to work on the smoker to further tweak it by adding oven roping around the door and potentially insulation in the walls, and a stoker unit. I have a thermo from Jay, and I will likely buy 2 more and have them mounted at different levels on the door of the smoker.

And I'm going to relax and enjoy the fact that we actually did get walkups this year, and we had a LOT of fun!

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

I drive to Willie B's
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2006, 10:47 AM   #6
Bigmista

Off-season? I'm sorry, I don't understand. Barbecue has no season, especially in Southern California.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2006, 10:54 AM   #7
BBQ_MAFIA

There may be an off season for Comps but not for eating. So for me,
I will cook whenever I can and when I can't, I reheat the stuff in the freezer.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2006, 11:32 AM   #8
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Re-building my margarita machine - faster, stronger, better.
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #9
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Well planning for next season is in full swing... And Mista is right.... it's just comp season that is over.... not BBQ season :o)

I'll also try some new recipes out, update our site, set out on a sponsor quest for next year, etc....

Old 10-24-2006, 11:55 AM   #10
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Did I mention drink lots of toasts and enjoy some holiday cheer?

Old 10-24-2006, 11:57 AM   #11
SP
is one Smokin' Farker

Get one of those eveloution disposal that I've seen on TV where the throw a pineapple top and rib bones in it. If you have the disposal kind of margirita machines Wayne.

[COLOR=#0000ff]2 Homemade Smokers (1 for Sale) [URL]http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f265/123sauced/Smoker.jpg[/URL][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Weber Kettle[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Brinkmann Smoke n Pitt[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#0000ff]Charbroil Gasser[/COLOR]
SP is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2006, 12:19 PM   #12
spicewine
Babbling Farker

We will do periodic practice runs and try to fine tune a few areas that could be better. We will review all of the comp scores from last season and decide which contests that we want to attend. We will have the cooker doors sandblasted, repainted and doors adjusted and basic tooling up for next season.

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2006, 12:26 PM   #13
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm thinking about selling my Backwoods and trailer and buying a Horizon pit. And then of course practicing all winter on the new pit. I need a new toy!
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #14
Solidkick

Well....competition season may be over for us midwesterners....but I'll still be cooking, it fact, I'm having withdrawals now, been thinking of firing up the 'dera this weekend.

Ique wrote:
Quote:
I'm thinking about selling my Backwoods and trailer and buying a Horizon pit. And then of course practicing all winter on the new pit. I need a new toy!
Just step on up to a Geer pit, buddy.......you can handle cooking on it just fine!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-24-2006, 12:38 PM   #15
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidkick
Just step on up to a Geer pit, buddy.......you can handle cooking on it just fine!
You have one for sale? I read a few places he wasnt building them anymore.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote