$1500.00 Budget, what smoker to get???

P

Patrick's BBQ

Ok, some of you know that I am selling my big rig, as a matter of fact I've already sold it. The guy is picking up the rig on next Wednesday.

I have conceeded to sell it but I am still going to have a decent smoker come hell or high water. SO, that brings me to the ultimate question. If you had $1500.00 to spend on any smoker(s) with any configuration what would it be?

Im considering even having a stainless steel UDS made but I'm still not sure....

I don't want a "mobile unit" however I do want to take it with me when I want to, like local comps and show off days and what not.

Here is what I'm thinking....

An Extra Large, Big Green Egg or one as big as I can find and a beefed up UDS. (Fire bricks and double stacked grates and all of that)

I have a stainless steel propane grill for doing some stuff but I rarely use it.

So let's hear ir guys and gals, what do y'all recommend?

Have you looked at the Primo XL. I don't own one just looking into Primo Vs. Big green egg.

I have an xl BGE that I built a cart to take it with me to comps. They are great, but if looking for BBQ at home, consider the large BGE. For me, the flatter dome on the XL and closer fire box makes it more difficult than the large.

That said, I would keep an eye out for a used Stump's or other insulated upright. I love the ease and capacity of the uprights. The Ceramic's are great, but they lack capacity. Then I built a UDS to play with too.

Have fun shopping

Im considering even having a stainless steel UDS made but I'm still not sure....

CIMG0929003.jpg

Stainless Pool Filter UDS style. I'm amazed by the low fuel consumption.

and a small SpiceWine?

An XL Egg would be very nice, but it is very heavy. A large and a medium may be a better combination. Also, you should take a look at the 22" WSM. You could buy two of those and still have money left over for meat.

Also, if you can stretch a little beyond $1,500 you can get a small Spicewine (the extra would be for shipping). Nice cooker for home use and in conjunction with a kettle or WSM for comps.

I love my Backwoods Smoker (Party). Base price is under $1,500. You can outfit it with options (stainless, guru, etc.), but the base model is a mighty fine smoker.

You might even find a used one (I think somebody on the BWS website is offering a used Fatboy for $1,500....and I know of lots of folks that compete on the circuit(s) with BWS Fatboys.

100_2804-1.jpg

Last edited:
I agree you should look at a Primo Oval, but I would never move mine without an enclosed trailer and some way to super secure it.

I second TN_BBQ, I love my party. Best investment I've made so far on my BBQ journey.

Ok, some of you know that I am selling my big rig, as a matter of fact I've already sold it. The guy is picking up the rig on next Wednesday.

I have conceeded to sell it but I am still going to have a decent smoker come hell or high water. SO, that brings me to the ultimate question. If you had $1500.00 to spend on any smoker(s) with any configuration what would it be?

I don't want a "mobile unit" however I do want to take it with me when I want to, like local comps and show off days and what not.

Here is what I'm thinking....

An Extra Large, Big Green Egg or one as big as I can find and a beefed up UDS. (Fire bricks and double stacked grates and all of that)

I have a stainless steel propane grill for doing some stuff but I rarely use it.

So let's hear ir guys and gals, what do y'all recommend?

stnls2743.jpg

I have 2 Big Drum Smokers and I would love to have a stainless drum, and if you are considering having someone make one.....why not go right to the source? The BDS source that is. Rocky's are 16 gage 304 stainless. It will last longer than one lifetime.

All that said, I like ceramics too. They are not as user friendly when moving around from place to place, but a lot of comp teams do it. I have Eggs and have no complaints with them. They are fantastic winter cookers and really do it all. I'm fascinated with the Primo Oval because of the features and room.

Well, how about a Bandera?
1_1_03205610_large.jpg

Do the gasket mod, baffle mod, add some firebrick to the firebox and smoke chamber, add some drain holes and you have one kick ash smoker...

I thought the 'dera was out of production, now that I know they are available again, I have a friend that wants one really badly... I might just clue him in to where to get them now...

For that much money i let you have all of mine plus I build you a couple

do you want to be a stick burner?
do you want to burn charcoal?
do you want to burn lump?
how about pellets?
you have alot of options depending on how you want to manage your time
I think that a spicewine would be nice if you dont need a mobile.
A uds is a great option also.
Well a weber sm 22 would be nice also.
I wish i had your problem...
jon

Gotta go with the Backwoods Party or a used Fatboy. I know a dealer here in Michigan if you are interested I can hook you up with him... How are things Patrick ??

Another vote for the Backwoods Party...effecient, easily portable, easy to use, etc.

http://www.grilldome.com/

If you are considering a ceramic. You should take a look at these. They offer a "Super Dome", which is what I have. There are comparisons out there as well. I love mine, but will be shopping for a bigger cooker for competitions. I have narrowed it down to Backwoods and Spicewine. Looks like they are both well represented here.

Back