What are Gassers Good For ..........?

I see y'all talking about how time consuming it is with charcoal.

I don't find it time consuming at all. I have a 60K BTU propane burner I got off Amazon for $50 (Bayou Classic) which I use to start my chimney. I get my chimney loaded, started and ready --red hot all the way through-- within 6 minutes; 4 more minutes to heat up the grill after I put the charcoal in.

It takes my gasser 10 mins to warm up to cook as well. About the same amount of time really.

I am using Hasty Bake lump charcoal though.. it might heat up a lot faster than Kingsford.

Makes a great target holder for sighing in my rifle before deer season.

I love my gas grill. I use it all the time.

My plan for this winter: build a custom gas grill. I want more burner power, and a sear burner. I think a 30-gallon drum would work great, although I will probably go full-monty and build using a 55-gallon drum.

On a hot humid summer day when you don't want to use the oven and heat up the house you can often use a gasser. For anything you want to cook in a fry pan but don't want to stink up the house (blackened,) you can use a side burner.

my gasser still sees intermediate use too.

Not necessarily when I'm smoking but when I'm trying to grill on the kettle sometimes it's too windy so I just throw it on the gasser.

I've also run out fuel one time cooking a london broil on the kettle due to cold and wind so I did a quick transfer to the gasser to finish it up.

It's also good for warming hot dogs for the girls or cooking fish...I think it's somewhat pointless to fire up a half chimney or so for something that will only need to cook for 5 min or so.

It's by no means a primary cooker anymore, but it has it's uses.

I notice the same people that trash gasser , use those God awful little squares black thingy and swear they are great pitmaster,

I donated mine to a lesser cook I knew who's gasser went dead after 10yrs. I get to visit it sometimes, but as far as usage goes, I don't miss it. I only used it for an occasional hot dog or burger or something like that anyway. I can fire up a 1/3 chimney and do that on my Smokey Joe in only about 6 min more than it took the gasser to get up to temp anyways.

Lighting my chimney on the side burner, using my CI griddle for blacking fish, making eggs, pancakes, omlettes, etc. Quick meals that don't involve smoking. Mine definitely has a place in my arsenal. Outside living.!!

Jed
Well said Jed!

They have a place. I hadn't used mine all season, then we decided to do some 'quick' chicken thighs and roasting ears. I uncovered it and found about 200-300 of those little stink bugs had nested and prospered under the cover and all over the inside and outside of the gasser.:shock: Had to use the pressure washer and get everything back to 'normal'. My quick meal took longer than if I had fired up the UDS...

Back