Help please! Got a UDS Question.

BBQDawg

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am in the process of building my first UDS. Does anyone know if conduit is galvanized? I picked up a couple of elbows to bolt to the outside of the drum and then plan on mounting a small shelf to them. Just want to make sure before I drill any unnecessary holes. Thx in advance for any suggestions.

dave

someone correct me if i'm wrong

I don't know the type of conduit you're using so I can't say if it's galvenized or not, but

As long as the (possibly) galvanized pieces remain on the outside of the unit, I don't think there would be a problem. So if the bolt running through (washers too) are steel and you mount it to the outside, the vapors that could be caused by the galvenized wouldn't even reach the food?

more about it here:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67494

if it is on the out side you have no worries, just use stainless hardware to mount it. galvanized puts off a toxic gas when heated over a certain temp (couple hundred degrees) galvanized is zinc and zinc is nasty stuff

Thx guys for the advice and the links. Good stuff in there. Yes it is electrical conduit. I was planning on just bolting it to the side of the drum with a couple of U-bolts and washers.

Don't worry about the galvanized stuff. To vaporize zinc, you need extremely high temps (~1650 degrees F). Zinc vapors can be harmful, but this is usually only an issue for people welding galvanized materials. Plus the amount of zinc in the galvanized coating is very small. Even if you ground up the galvanized parts and ate them, it would take a lot to produce toxic levels.

I know this is a popular debate, but it really isn't an issue.

Back