Ham hock uses question

Skidder

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have any other uses for extra ham hocks? I bought a four pack and only needed two for collards now I'm left with two extras. I have a Foodsaver to freeze if I have to but was just wondering what else others do with theres.

Anyone have any other uses for extra ham hocks? I bought a four pack and only needed two for collards now I'm left with two extras. I have a Foodsaver to freeze if I have to but was just wondering what else others do with theres.

Pickled/corned for a week,poached then hot smoked with a pineapple salsa.
What time we eating:wink:
cheers.
Titch

Last edited:
Sorry forget to mention there already smoked

Just a reminder of what "they" call smoked and what "we" call smoked could be two different things. I most always do a second smoke on store bought hocks, shanks and even turkey legs that are sold as smoked. You will get a much more developed flavor for all your uses.

DSC07878a.jpg

Oh yeah in addition to greens, beans, soups and stocks, you can braise them tender and serve as a main meat. One of my favorite uses is pork and sauerkraut. Start with a half rack of flavor smoked ribs, add taters onion and kraut, top with some double smoked hocks and slow cook a few hours.

DSC02992aa.jpg

DSC02995aa.jpg

DSC02997aa.jpg

All done......

DSC02999aa.jpg

Just a reminder of what "they" call smoked and what "we" call smoked could be two different things. I most always do a second smoke on store bought hocks, shanks and even turkey legs that are sold as smoked. You will get a much more developed flavor for all your uses.

DSC07878a.jpg

Oh yeah in addition to greens, beans, soups and stocks, you can braise them tender and serve as a main meat. One of my favorite uses is pork and sauerkraut. Start with a half rack of flavor smoked ribs, add taters onion and kraut, top with some double smoked hocks and slow cook a few hours.

DSC02992aa.jpg

DSC02995aa.jpg

DSC02997aa.jpg

All done......

DSC02999aa.jpg

dang man that does look good! Thanks for the idea

If they're meaty enough make ham and string beans. I like to add coke for a nice carmely flavor. Is carmely a word? :confused:

Yummmmmm.

They all sound good.

I made Navy bean soup yesterday with ham hocks and a little left over pulled pork I vac-sealed from a previous cook..

Beans ... red beans , butter beans , black eyed peas , navy , pintos and how about green beans and new potatoes...

on the bean train, try latin red beans.

tomato based sauce with cumin, cilantro sofrito etc, serve over white or yellow rice. Look up recipes from Puerto Rico or the Dominican Republic.

I grew up on the stuff and lucky for me, my sisters had no interest in the hock.

I use em in a pot of beans or Black Eyed Peas.
(Great for seasoning)

I've dropped one in a pot of vegetable soup also.
(Didn't really change the taste of the soup)

Love the kraut. I have never thought to put ham hocks in mine, but it makes sense.

I always buy the dutch cut kraut in bags. Then I will put in a colander in the sink and rinse well. You really need to ring it out like a cloth to get some of the brine out. Then, I cook in beer. That will remove a bunch of the sourness.

Love the kraut. I have never thought to put ham hocks in mine, but it makes sense.

I always buy the dutch cut kraut in bags. Then I will put in a colander in the sink and rinse well. You really need to ring it out like a cloth to get some of the brine out. Then, I cook in beer. That will remove a bunch of the sourness.

Then add that whole ham hock, bones and all... Man, that's what it is all about!:thumb:

Cheers!

Bill

Back