Air Compressor Vertical Smoker Update

Kalbi

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Been about a month since I've completed my smoker. Made a couple improvements to it after my first smoke and been smoking and keeping notes on in since. So far my favorite thing to smoke is wings, corned beef, and ribs (baby back, St. Louis, and beef short ribs). When it comes to ribs, the Mrs. likes fall-off-the-bone type while I prefer a little more chew, so trying to prefect a happy medium.

What I've learned so far about my smoker:

- Definitely need diffuser. I'm using an aluminum pizza pan with no holes on placed on a grate (I have 3 grates, 2 for cooking and one for the diffuser). I have an extra pan I might put some holes in next time I take my .410 out with some birdshot.

- Kingsford briquettes works better for me than lump charcoal. I get a more even and predictable burn. However, I'm still working on the best way to get my fire started with my homemade basket. Takes about an hour to get it where I can burn at 225, 250, or 275 with just occasional adjustments.

- Smoking meat and drinking beer are inexplicably linked somehow.

Anyway, just wanted to do an update and a thanks for all the ideas of how and what to smoke I've gathered from this board.

Attachments

• smoker a.jpg
    smoker a.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 50
  • smoker b.jpg
    smoker b.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 49
Back