MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #1
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Default Identify this wood please?

Long story short, I told this guy to bring me GOOD wood for smoking,preferably apple, and to let me know ahead of time so I can have some $$.

Shows up today with this truck load of wood WITHOUT notice. Claims its maple. I don't know a thing about wood, this guy shows up with wood I didn't even ask for, So I have to ask before I go digging into this wood!

Honestly I should of told him to just take the stuff home, because it wasn't the "apple" I've been promised for weeks now! This just seems like a lot of junk wood to deal with.

Hate how he all of a sudden shows up with wood he picked up from cleaning his yard, when I asked for GOOD wood! Not crap that's been laying in mud and water for years!

If its maple then fine, but I have no idea what it is!

Old 04-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #2
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

it looks like the bark on my Maple trees but a leaf will tell it all . a lot of people smoke with Maple but I do not like it because it is real sappy , burns hot and burns up to fast IMO .

[Font="impact"]Luke's Firepits / Grill[/Font]

[Font="impact"]Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker[/Font]
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Freak View Post
it looks like the bark on my Maple trees but a leaf will tell it all . a lot of people smoke with Maple but I do not like it because it is real sappy , burns hot and burns up to fast IMO .
I looked all this wood over for any signs of a leaf. Found two very small ones, that looked like maple, But I couldn't find those specific leaves When i started taking pictures! I don't know! Just rather annoyed at the fact its not what I asked for, and was willing to pay for. Then the guy shows up without any warning!

Old 04-12-2016, 08:23 PM   #4
mrboy
Full Fledged Farker

If it's maple, it's silver maple, not sugar maple.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-12-2016, 08:32 PM   #5
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboy View Post
If it's maple, it's silver maple, not sugar maple.
maple is maple tho right?

Old 04-12-2016, 08:54 PM   #6
zymguy
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinfire View Post
maple is maple tho right?
I'm no siviculturist , but while the species are different they are all suitable for smoking.
Ben
zymguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2016, 08:59 PM   #7
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Hmm, Well I don't know exactly what to do with it! I have hickory and red oak available to cook with right now. I'm not real interested in maple, Never was. I wanted apple but obviously the guy has a hard time showing up randomly with APPLE LOL.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:04 PM   #8
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

I would just be firm with him and say when you get some apple come see me .

Old 04-12-2016, 09:10 PM   #9
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Freak View Post
I would just be firm with him and say when you get some apple come see me .
More like, Don't bother coming back LOL. Dude gave me a headache this evening. Was doing great til he expected me to pay for this crap! Luckily he pretty much gave it to me after I explained I didn't ask for this specific wood, and he showed up with no notice ahead of time.

Old 04-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #10
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

I would look for another supplier.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-12-2016, 09:27 PM   #11
revkab
is one Smokin' Farker

I agree - it looks pretty much like Silver Maple - the faster growing, softer cousin of the hard maple. By itself, maple gives off a very mild smoke. I like to use it to get a fire going in my big offset cooker - to get the heat up, and to put down a bed of coals. After that, I prefer the more flavorful woods - hickory, oak, apple, pecan, etc.
[COLOR=blue][B][SIZE=3]That Smokin' Preacher. Ribs and :mad2:[COLOR=red]Hot Peppers[/COLOR]:mad2:[/SIZE][/B][/COLOR][LIST][*][B]WKG (Weber Kettle Grill)[/B][*][B][COLOR=navy]Brinkman heavy duty Cimarron offset[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=red]Custom built 72" x 40" Offset logburner[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=navy]One Butt Ugly Drum Smoker[/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=black]One big tow-behind Wood-fired grill [/COLOR][/B][*][B][COLOR=#ff0000][COLOR=gray]and one itty bitty gasser[/COLOR] :doh:[/COLOR][/B][/LIST]
revkab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #12
blazinfire
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I would look for another supplier.
Well technically I'll just get free wood from our property! But only thing we have on us is mostly oak/hickory and the rest is stuff like pine, poppler, then if there's anything else on us then We cant identify it LOL

Old 04-12-2016, 10:35 PM   #13
krex1010
is One Chatty Farker

I agree it looks like silver maple.....not nearly as good as the hard maples (sugar and Norway). Silver maple burns much faster than the hard maples and is a lower btu wood compared to hard maple, should give off a typical mild maple smoke though.

Old 04-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #14
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Well technically I'll just get free wood from our property! But only thing we have on us is mostly oak/hickory and the rest is stuff like pine, poppler, then if there's anything else on us then We cant identify it LOL
Oak was all I used for years and still my go to for my offset. Pecan is the only other wood that I can get locally besides mesquite. If I could get free oak I would be pretty excited.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2016, 11:12 PM   #15
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Quote:

if you got access to Oak and Hickory for free then you are set for smoking . I use Oak to get a good bed of coals and then I use Hickory for my smoking wood .