Pork Steak and Cabbage

Joshw

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I recently switched to a Keto diet, and it has stifled my outdoor cooking. I can't believe how many of my favorite rubs, and pantry ingredients are not keto friendly. Going to have to figure out some things, but for now I just kept it simple.

Cored a cabbage, and stuffed it with a stick of butter, sauteed onion, garlic, salt, and some Slap Ya' Mamma seasoning.
JMkHdS1.jpg

Covered it in bacon, and cooked at 250 for 2 hours.
jAkybMq.jpg

Wrapped in foil and cooked for 2 more hours at 350. Then threw on some pork steaks seasoned with salt and Slap Ya' Mamma.
a5UJL4m.jpg

Finished Pork Steak
NVBoVcG.jpg

Finished Cabbage
3fFErQS.jpg

Time to eat.
2nAPdtF.jpg

It was good, but when I do it again, I think I will wedge the cabbage and cook for the first couple of hours, then pan with butter drizzled over it. Just didn't get much smoke penetration, and took way too long to cook.

That looks outstanding, Josh! Well done!

Looks great Josh! I love doing cabbage like that. When I smoke cabbage I usually stuff it with sausage (not sure if that is ok with your diet) then when I foil it I add a can of beef or chicken stock.

712f1926e7f80a0d3bfb3a0f62030d63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks outstanding, Josh! Well done!

Thanks!

Looks great Josh! I love doing cabbage like that. When I smoke cabbage I usually stuff it with sausage (not sure if that is ok with your diet) then when I foil it I add a can of beef or chicken stock.

712f1926e7f80a0d3bfb3a0f62030d63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the sausage idea. I have smoked a lot of cabbage, but this was my first time stuffing a whole one. Probably my last. It was good, but you get a lot more smoke on it, cut up into wedges, and it takes half the time to cook. Probably my favorite way to cook it, is fried in bacon grease. I love when it gets good and caramelized.

Back