• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Removing the bark on split hickory

Papa Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I just picked up a half a cord of split hickory...usually my base wood to cook with...and while stacking it I removed the bark as I always do. The reason is someone told me once that the bark can cause bitter flavors so I have never used it to smoke with. Do any of the brethren have an opinion on this. It is a lot of extra work (barbeque is a lot of work anyway) to get the bark off...especially if it doesn't make a difference.

I will summarize all of the previous bark/no bark threads on this and other BBQ forums:

yes, no, maybe, sometimes, always, never, if it's loose, hot enough fire doesn't matter

Seriously, I've seen all of those answers.

I only remove bark on small piece that don't need splitting, tree bark is like a fire suit for a tree it requires more heat to ignite. On a split there is no need to as the inner layers light quickly especially if they are pre heated

I use the bagged chunk stuff that sometimes comes with the bark on....I do not remove it and have not noticed any flavor difference. Again, this is not full splits, but the chunks that you buy in the bag.

I dont have a stick burner yet, and the chunks I use sometimes have bark, never remove. Heck I pull bark off a shag wood(?) hickory tree out on the golf course and will throw pieces of that on my charcoal while I'm grilling and it gives great hickory flavor!! People at work think that I've smoked my cheeseburgers cause it puts off that delicious aroma especially after it's been reheated. Leave the bark

Thanks for all the info...I think I'll spend the time I save not removing the bark burning it.

Been smoking food for 30 years and have smoked with bark on, off, half on. falling
off, Iv'e smoked with wood that has laid in the woods for years, just knocking off the as much of the punky stuff as possible . Never noticed a difference.

Like others have already said... I never remove the bark and the food turns out great !

Yep, add me as another that keeps the bark on, no issues here. Save yourself the time and effort.

Removing bark would be a lot of work...For that reason I don't...Works fine...With a hot fire there is no bitterness...Most woods will be bitter if not burned properly with or without fire suit...

Sometimes I burn straight Bark that I get from a neighbor who removes all the Bark from his Smoking Wood.

Back