MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #46
Desertracer
Knows what a fatty is.

I have not judged a competition but have eaten quite a bit of competition ribs. What I have found in most of the ribs is that they taste very similar. It's because the rules are such that it places them into a box and cooks are dictated to cook the ribs in that fashion. I understand that there has to be certain criteria to be met to be judged but I think there should be some other rule or personal opinion thrown into the judging that would give the ribs and cooks a wider spectrum to have a wider variety of BBQ. It should be what people like, not what the rules have made it to be!

For me I like my ribs to have a little pull off the bone but not FOTB. I also don't like a lot of smoke to my ribs (it makes them taste hammy). I get a slight smoke going, wrap, and finish with sauce.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #47
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertracer View Post
......I also don't like a lot of smoke to my ribs (it makes them taste hammy). I get a slight smoke going, wrap, and finish with sauce.
Smoke flavor should not make your ribs taste hammy but solution added ribs will taste hammy though.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #48
lastmajordude
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
I prefer my ribs so that you have to bite them off the bone, personally, but still cooked enough to be good and tender.
Me too....love to see that "bite" mark.......

Old 04-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #49
BornToSmoke
Found some matches.

I love my ribs tender either way. However after finally trying competition ribs I now prefer them to FOTB. Like many have said it has to do with the texture of the meat. If cooked too long FOTB is very mushy. I was ignorant for too long, but still will chow down on either rib.
BornToSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 PM   #50
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

I cook the best ribs I can and put them in the box. I would never turn anything in that I don't like to eat. The only minor modification is just adding a bit "more" of everything with the understanding that a judge is just going to eat one bite.