MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #16
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnjenn View Post
Gotta laugh at these Texans sometimes.

And I will stick with the good ole KCBS.
In our area (including you in the our) we also have GBA, MBN, FBA, and can probably get an SC and AL sanctioned contest or two in a GA town here n there... No garnish.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 PM   #17
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
Just looks unnatural and overdone to me bro. Much rather see a natural ring when I open that box. Personally I see no reason to enhance it when it occurs naturally.

Let me refine my words a little. That was when I first strarted experimenting With TQ a while back. If you put a thick coat of rub on, you will get a minuscule smoke ring when cooking H&F. Furthermore half of my comps are unsanctioned and the right use of TQ helps. It's not my problem people aren't serious about BBQ as I am. Further than that, if we weren't technologically advanced as we are now, and someone didn't spill the beans, you would still be scoring brisket with a pretty smoke ring high. Hell, this one was cooked in the oven!

And in just sayin BRO that if your a judge and your marking down scores on something your told not to judge on in the first place, I'm glad I don't compete in your sanctioning body. Down here there is no appearance Because appearance makes no difference on how it tastes, makes no difference on how tender it is, makes no difference on the overall enjoyment of the meat being sampled by the judge.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #18
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I love the folks who say 'if you have to use sauce you are covering up bad Q' (and I consider many who say that to be friends). My response to them is 'why do you use salt and pepper then, or chile powder, or garlic powder, or smoke wood...just cook that meat straight up' And how is adding a vinegar mop not saucing and changing the meats flavor?

If I am going to judge a piece of meat, or a box, or a plate of food, I am going to take a look to see if it is appetizing, and if there is a smoke ring, or not, it all comes into play if the food looks good. For me, I don't need to see a smoke ring for a piece of meat to look good, but, there has to be something. I might well judge down for a piece of meat with a large smoke ring, not because of the ring, but, because overall, it just doesn't do it for me.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #19
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Ugh...

Saying you cook in a bunch of unsanctioned comps and then talking about how serious you are is quite the dichotomy, no?

And I'll ask again, if appearance has nothing to do with the three items you quoted, WHY use Tender Quick on a hot and fast cook?

You've already answered the question, here: If you put a thick coat of rub on, you will get a minuscule smoke ring when cooking H&F.

SO...you are worried about the appearance.

You can't pass judgement on a sanctioning body or how it cooks or judges if you don't cook it. That's my .02. My guess is your mileage is going to vary.
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 PM   #20
Texana
Knows what a fatty is.

Your serious about BBQ and most of ur cooks are unsanctioned?...

And for the others....don't judge all Texas cooks by the same standard.

And Jmoney Texas events do include appearance. While it is combined and not a separate score taste judges are still instructed to include it.....oops that's in sanctioned events with serious cooks.

And one more thing.....TQ is not against the rules. However serious cooks don't need to use it.....just sayin
Texana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #21
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoney7269 View Post
And in just sayin BRO that if your a judge and your marking down scores on something your told not to judge on in the first place, I'm glad I don't compete in your sanctioning body. Down here there is no appearance Because appearance makes no difference on how it tastes, makes no difference on how tender it is, makes no difference on the overall enjoyment of the meat being sampled by the judge.
Justin, look to the left... I'm in Tx too BRO. Like Texana said appearance is part of the score. Even says so on the scoring sheet. BTW, I've never heard a judging official say to ignore the smoke ring or lack thereof. I can see why you want one, but don't get riled up cause I can spot a really fake looking smoke ring. Also TQ has sugar and salt, they have taste.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 PM   #22
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

This thread is getting good!
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #23
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

Natural or unnatural? C'mon! You can tell by looking, right?

Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.
World's fastest [B]Belgian/Cuban Racing Yellow[/B] thermapen.
Fat Woody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 PM   #24
chrisnjenn
Banned

Who is to say you would tell the truth anyway? I'm sure JS doesn't know you from Adam.
chrisnjenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #25
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnjenn View Post
Who is to say you would tell the truth anyway? I'm sure JS doesn't know you from Adam.
Ouch! That's not nice or brethrenly! I don't know YOU from Adam, so what difference does that make?
Owner/Operator of: Superior "Stealth" SS2, Brinkmann "Lefty" Bandera clone (retired), Comalco Black Dog grill, and various Weber kettles.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:26 PM   #26
chrisnjenn
Banned

Your in your face challenge to JS wasn't nice or brethrenly either.
chrisnjenn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #27
Fat Woody
is one Smokin' Farker

Anyone who says they can spot a fake smoke ring needs a little re-education; this one (which admittedly looks fake) is completely natural - that's all I'm sayin'. I don't want to be judged down for something that is someone's "perception" of reality...

Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #28
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I was gonna say real, too late.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 10:03 PM   #29
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

It would just be easier to agree to disagree. You guys have made my night. Good grief I need to get a life. Happy smoking!
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #30
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texana View Post
Your serious about BBQ and most of ur cooks are unsanctioned?...

And for the others....don't judge all Texas cooks by the same standard.

And Jmoney Texas events do include appearance. While it is combined and not a separate score taste judges are still instructed to include it.....oops that's in sanctioned events with serious cooks.

And one more thing.....TQ is not against the rules. However serious cooks don't need to use it.....just sayin
How about this one? Chappel hill VFD grand champs SANCTIONED! 1st ribs out of 108 entrys! 3rd chicken 9th brisket and we used TQ on the damn thang! Oh gotta throw in 2nd chefs choice. That serious enough for you bud? Where are your major GC trophys? I got plenty of them? Remember I only been a contributing member for a few months on here and txbbqrub forum.

The same rib that won that won the Bellville country music festival 38 teams non sanctioned

What else do you wanna see? Oh I got more
140 teams. Used my Famous rib glaze and bean recipe. 1st beans btw which were a core Categeory

Washington county fair king of coals sanctioned. 28 out of 30 possible sanctioned 1st ribs and brisket, 3rd chicken

Now that we got that out of the way of me and our team Being crappy cooks Because half of our cookoffs are non sanctioned. What now! Are we worthy now ti give our opinion on what good bbq is? I obviously know what the heck I'm talkin about. If I missed something, please fill me in!

Last edited by jmoney7269; 10-03-2012 at 11:21 PM..
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote