1st Caja China cook.

F

frankenswine

I am doing my firts cook on the caja china. I have a 49 lb pig going now. Here are a few pics before the cooking started..

Pig3.jpg

Pig4.jpg

I injected it last night with a mojo and rubbed it down with salt.

Looks like a pretty hog! Is that a Caja China #1? looks like either the mis-state the capacity or your hog is bigger than you say:)

dmp

Reminds me of an autopsy I saw one time. Notice the female in the first pic getting the heck outta there!

Can't wait to hear (and see) the finished results! I've yet to do a pig in mine.

What are those 2 things inside the Pig that look like Kidneys?

You are correct they are the kidneys. I took them out to give to friend of mine just after the pic. So far it is cooking a little slower than the 3 1/2 hours. I am at 3 hrs and 45 min and the temp in the ham is 175, but it only 19 outside right now..

One of my favourite things about these pics: They serve as an excellent illustration of the anatamy of the rib cage. If you look closely, you can see where the spares end and the loins begin. You can see how the flap goes across the whole cage, and where the sternum and brisket are....pretty pig.

dmp

Here a few more pics of the turn and some finishing pics. It could have used some more cooking but it was getting late and I had hungry people waiting. The cold weather definately slowed the cooking. When I cleared of the ash it would stall and take about 30 min before the temps would start climbing again.

Newyear001.jpg

Newyear002.jpg

Newyear003.jpg

Newyear004.jpg

Newyear005.jpg

Here a few more pics of the turn and some finishing pics. It could have used some more cooking but it was getting late and I had hungry people waiting. The cold weather definately slowed the cooking. When I cleared of the ash it would stall and take about 30 min before the temps would start climbing again.

Newyear004.jpg

Looks like how I feel today. :smile: How was it?

Back